Sign in to follow this  
KeelansGlove

The Hughton Era

I really struggle to understand the positivity of some people (I wish I could find away to be that far from reality)

Having seen probably every second of the action this season including the incredibly dull 3am USA games it was clear that there is only one formation in the Hughton play book 4-5-1

And as I have said on other threads I do not generally disagree that this should be the go to formation for all games, but

Without a well worked plan of alternatives its hard to see how he can call himself a premier league manager.

Wins away against Stoke and home to Southampton really do paper over the cracks.

But for 2 speculative long range shots we would have won neither of those games we created nothing of note in the final third of the pitch.

Much is made of the 31 shots that we had against Cardiff but none of those were even close to as good as the chance Cardiff created.

He seems too have conceded there is no way to get a striker involved in the game some time ago and given them role of creating space for the midfielders to launch one from 30 yards.

Try something different and fail and at least people will see that we are trying to evolve. Currently we only rely on our opponents failings to let our system work.

I honestly believe we probably have the best squad in the clubs history (many thanks for the great recruitment Mr Hughton) but this just shines a light on the complete lack of tactics and motivation from our manager.

I am a realist and have been supporting city for 40 years and have seen managers come and go, some have been hamstrung by a lack of funds and terrible playing staff CH does not have that excuse.

I just think it would be a tragedy to let this squad slip into the championship and be broken up without getting anywhere near its full potential.

I honestly hope CH is not in charge for Saturday because the atmosphere could be very poisonous and this is a game we really need to win.

We played very well versus Southampton and had several chances before the goal. Trust me, i was right behind the goal in the first half.

Saturday will test the mettle both of players and the manager, the fans will be nervous and a lot will depend on taking an early chance in front of goal.

If we go 1 up on Saturday, the crowd will calm down and we can get on with winning another home game, something Hughton has generally done well here.

I feel to even keep us up in the premiership last season was a great achievement and the 11th place was a bonus. Yes give Hughton flack but give him credit where credit is due.

"I just think it would be a tragedy to let this squad slip into the championship and be broken up without getting anywhere near its full potential. "

Through all the stuff written the past few days, this is perhaps the best comment ive read.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]

If we go 1 up on Saturday, the crowd will calm down and we can get on with winning another home game, something Hughton has generally done well here. I feel to even keep us up in the premiership last season was a great achievement and the 11th place was a bonus. [/quote]

We''ve won 4 home games in the last 10 months.

I just really don''t get this fantasy that some people trot out that Hughton''s record at Carrow Rd home games has been noteworthy. It''s not. It''s mediocre, and that''s being generous !

Assuming he is still in charge on Sat, I ''d say he''s got little or no choice other than go for it . While I''ll conced that it''s about the result (must win) as far as the fans , and I suspect, the board, will be concerned, it''s going to have to be convincing as well. The time for excuses (we played well, but unluckily could not convert, blah blah blah) is over. If there is evidence of a Damascine conversion, and a new style is on offer, plus a win, then he might just buy himself a bit more time.

KG, that''s a great  post.

It''s truly baffling that anyone continues to support him, or can even contemplate that he should be given ''one more game''. I''m increasingly sceptical about whether he even deserves much credit for his transfer dealings; first the Becchio fiasco, and more latterly spending £15m on strikers that he is clueless about how to deploy.

He certainly doesn''t deserve any credit for keeping us up at the cost of 15 months of mind-numbing tedium!

At the moment,  the atmosphere against West Ham will be poisonous, and I only hope that it doesn''t get that far. Hootun, and unfortunately the players,  will be lambasted for the smallest mistakes during that game, and that will happen because fans are angry and frustrated that the situation is being allowed to continue. And it really won''t help that fans will be at war amongst themselves, but that is entirely inevitable, given the insistance of a sizeable minority in burying their heads in the sand. I can already hear the mindless ''Hughton''s yellow army'' chant! If we go into that game without a managerial change, fans will be angry from the start. Things shouldn''t need to get this ugly to get him out. 

[quote user="crab"]

KG, that''s a great  post.

It''s truly baffling that anyone continues to support him, or can even contemplate that he should be given ''one more game''. I''m increasingly sceptical about whether he even deserves much credit for his transfer dealings; first the Becchio fiasco, and more latterly spending £15m on strikers that he is clueless about how to deploy.

He certainly doesn''t deserve any credit for keeping us up at the cost of 15 months of mind-numbing tedium!

At the moment,  the atmosphere against West Ham will be poisonous, and I only hope that it doesn''t get that far. Hootun, and unfortunately the players,  will be lambasted for the smallest mistakes during that game, and that will happen because fans are angry and frustrated that the situation is being allowed to continue. And it really won''t help that fans will be at war amongst themselves, but that is entirely inevitable, given the insistance of a sizeable minority in burying their heads in the sand. I can already hear the mindless ''Hughton''s yellow army'' chant! If we go into that game without a managerial change, fans will be angry from the start. Things shouldn''t need to get this ugly to get him out. 

[/quote]Completely agree Crab, if we concede first on Saturday and Hughton is still in charge the atmosphere is going to be terrible.  He needs to go before the weekend.

Trouble is Star, that you are getting into the age-old "what you''d like to happen " versus "what do you think WILL happen" conundrum.

Would I like Hughton to be history and a competent new manager to be in place by Sat evening ? YES.

Do I think that''ll be the case ? NO

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Trouble is Star, that you are getting into the age-old "what you''d like to happen " versus "what do you think WILL happen" conundrum.

Would I like Hughton to be history and a competent new manager to be in place by Sat evening ? YES.

Do I think that''ll be the case ? NO[/quote]Oh I fully expect him to be in charge at the weekend now, if he was going to be sacked then it would surely have happened already.  I see no reason for keeping him now, and I think doing so will damage our season further.  Unfortunately only the board can make that decision though.

We have to have everything in place though Star and if that isn''t the case yet, we can''t just sack him. All of his backroom staff are just to blame and the only person that could step up as I believe all of the first team coaches have to go, is Adams. The balance between having Adams and youth team coaches in place for Saturday but relieving some of the venom, over making sure you have a full coaching team sacked and replaced properly but with a hostile atmosphere is very fine.

I personally would go with Adams and youth team coaches for one game but I can understand the nervousness of it being one less game to the end of the season.

I suspect that if Hughton was going to be sacked, it would have been done on Saturday night or yesterday morning. As it is, I expect he will be given until the half way point of the season, which I think is after the Man Utd game on Dec 28th.

If, by that time, we are on 20 or more points, I would guess he will be given the rest of the season. However, it could all be different if we carry on looking as clueless as we were on Saturday. So I would say the next two home games will be the make or break ones - lose those and it becomes impossible to write Saturday off as a "bad day at the office".