Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Teams have worked Hughton out

I am very sad that things are not working out which they clearly are not at the moment. What has gone wrong, many of us want Hughton, and on paper his signings are good. I have a relative who is a Newcastle fan and whilst many up there thought he was hard done by when he got the push many of their fans had the view that he does not have a plan B. In managerial terms despite his age he is very inexperienced only about 4 seasons and half of that is in the championship. Add to that he has a back room staff noted for being managerial failures rather than good coaches. His approached served us well last season, albeit for the most part it was some of the most unpleasant football i can recall in 20 plus years watching this club. Despite new signings he has not adapted and i think the majority of clubs have now worked him out. He sets up a team reasonably competently though very conservative but then cannot change things. We are now getting worse at both ends of the pitch, not scoring goals or making chances and letting in shed loads. I sense we are getting near to the end of his reign. If we beat west Ham it may be prolonged but i see little evidence of results or style of play getting much better. I do agree that we should be careful as to what we wish for and there are a lot of managers out there who would do no better or worse. There are no obvious candidates although i do rate Martin Jol who has been starved of cash of late at Fulham and seems destined for the chop in the near future. mackay would be a gamble, but he showed in the recent game he can adapt part way through a game and in many ways is similar to Lambert. That ship has sailed i know but in the cold light of day the current position shows how massive his loss was to us

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]I am very sad that things are not working out which they clearly are not at the moment. What has gone wrong, many of us want Hughton, and on paper his signings are good. I have a relative who is a Newcastle fan and whilst many up there thought he was hard done by when he got the push many of their fans had the view that he does not have a plan B. In managerial terms despite his age he is very inexperienced only about 4 seasons and half of that is in the championship. Add to that he has a back room staff noted for being managerial failures rather than good coaches. His approached served us well last season, albeit for the most part it was some of the most unpleasant football i can recall in 20 plus years watching this club. Despite new signings he has not adapted and i think the majority of clubs have now worked him out. He sets up a team reasonably competently though very conservative but then cannot change things. We are now getting worse at both ends of the pitch, not scoring goals or making chances and letting in shed loads. I sense we are getting near to the end of his reign. If we beat west Ham it may be prolonged but i see little evidence of results or style of play getting much better. I do agree that we should be careful as to what we wish for and there are a lot of managers out there who would do no better or worse. There are no obvious candidates although i do rate Martin Jol who has been starved of cash of late at Fulham and seems destined for the chop in the near future. mackay would be a gamble, but he showed in the recent game he can adapt part way through a game and in many ways is similar to Lambert. That ship has sailed i know but in the cold light of day the current position shows how massive his loss was to us[/quote]

Agree

Interesting you mention Martin Jol. I think he is a great manager. Not sure whats going wrong for him at the moment. Im sure he''d get along well with RvW and Fer. But think he''s way out of our league if Fulham decide to sack him

I thought Hughton should have been sacked at the end of last season - despite the good finish to the season. The board should have acted then and given a new manager the transfer budget that Mr Hughton seems to have squandered. I think Delia Smith is much too nice and doesn''t approve of firing people. I''m afraid you have to be a bit ruthless and nasty in football. We are sleepwalking towards relegation at the moment.

[quote user="Truculent Trucker"]I thought Hughton should have been sacked at the end of last season - despite the good finish to the season. The board should have acted then and given a new manager the transfer budget that Mr Hughton seems to have squandered. I think Delia Smith is much too nice and doesn''t approve of firing people. I''m afraid you have to be a bit ruthless and nasty in football. We are sleepwalking towards relegation at the moment.[/quote]

I would say Delia smith has very little to say regarding firing and hiring managers Mr Mcnasty gets to pull the trigger almost certain of that.

They are 16th and only have 2 points more than us.

Even if we had 10 points and were 16th we would be unhappy wouldn''t we?

1 point per game is 38 points over the course of a season, and that is pretty much relegation form also.

If you bring in Scott Parker, Darren Bent, Derek Boateng, Maarten Stekelenburg, and Adel Taarabt as fans you would probably expect to be pushing on - bet those players are all on big money.