Sign in to follow this  
Michael Starr

This "Who would you bring in?" argument sucks

Do people know that there are leagues outside of England? Do people know that the shortlist wouldn''t just be the candidates constantly mentioned. There are other leagues with high quality managers who would give for an opportunity in the "best league in world football"

Slaven Bilic

Viktor Goncharenko

Vitor Pereira

Vincenzo Montella

I''m fed up with hearing this blinkered "who else is out there" view. Get real.

Southampton and Swansea appointed using this method so why can''t we, a team of equal size?

I also believe that our facilities and academy plans would be very attractive to a manager in Europe. It''s a great opportunity and we''ve got a decent squad here already.

It''s a bit of a ''little old Norwich'' attitude that there''s nothing better available or that we should think about the compensation we''d have to pay. If there are not a lot of British managers with the right level of experience then get a decent foreign one. There are a lot of smallish teams in Europe, even in the less rich and glamorous leagues, who have managed to attract high-calibre managers, so why can''t we?

To be fair Chris Hughton he did manage Brum in the Europa League. I agree with the OP in that I would like to see the club appoint somebody with a bit of pedigree, rather than somebody with "potential" or somebody who has failed in the Prem. Much as i respect Malky i would be underwhelmed if he was appointed, and the usual suspects being bandied around fill me with dread.....

[quote user="Michael Starr"][quote user="scrappy33"]Slaven Bilic, unfortunately no chance.[/quote]

I would have said that about Laudrup to Swansea[/quote]He took over at Besiktas in the summer so I think he''d be unlikely to want to change clubs a mere 5 months later. Regardless, the compensation required would probably be large. He would be a very good candidate though.

This is a logical and reasonable argument. It is not without risk however and assumes that our club have a knowledge of European managers and which may easily move over and succeed in the EPL. For every success there is a failure. That said i do not subscribe to recycling the same old names who have failed on a regular basis. I think at this stage we do not want to be gambling on the lower leagues

i wouldnt be too adverse to Lennon, he''d bring a bit of energy and belief that Hughton lacks......and Celtic''s impending elimination from this season''s Champions League seems to be coming up at an opportune time?!

Doesn''t Neil Lennon spend about half the season sitting up in the stands serving touchline bans?Nasty piece of work. Don''t want him anywhere near our club.

[quote user="Michael Starr"]Do people know that there are leagues outside of England? Do people know that the shortlist wouldn''t just be the candidates constantly mentioned. There are other leagues with high quality managers who would give for an opportunity in the "best league in world football"

Slaven Bilic

Viktor Goncharenko

Vitor Pereira

Vincenzo Montella

Southampton and Swansea appointed using this method so why can''t we, a team of equal size?[/quote]

I don''t know about the others but you cannot seriously think Montella would leave Fiorentina, who just missed out on a Champions League place last season and are again in the running this time, to join Norwich City. The only PL clubs he might consider would be the top three or four.

[quote user="thas a rummun"]Doesn''t Neil Lennon spend about half the season sitting up in the stands serving touchline bans?

Nasty piece of work. Don''t want him anywhere near our club.
[/quote]

he may well be.....but Lambert I suspect could be aswell?.....maybe its what our players need because at the moment it looks too comfortable for them with the present "nice guy" in charge?

This reminds of the portly lady who flew into a rage on Norwich station last week after the Cardiff game , when someone criticised CH. She shouted that such criticism was “b*llocks” and then went to say did we honestly think that "Jewseo Marrinyo" would come to Norwich? As I got on the train I heard her shout that if Hughton went , we would probably get Worthy back.

This is, I’m afraid, “Little Norwich" at its worse. Norwich City Football Club is a debt free (largely) Premier League club, with a spectacular fan base geographically, media savvy high profile directors and some very decent players. A manager that can think of a system where Fer actually gets to play football , and RVW gets some service, is out there somewhere. Make no mistake people that know much more about football than me, who follow the Dutch game, rate these guys massively.

It probably aint Jewseo, but it doesn’t have to be Worthy either...

For some bizarre reason the OP seems to think these managers will give up their jobs with top European clubs to come and have a relegation scrap in sleepy Norfolk. Get real guys.

[quote user="Michael Starr"]Do people know that there are leagues outside of England? Do people know that the shortlist wouldn''t just be the candidates constantly mentioned. There are other leagues with high quality managers who would give for an opportunity in the "best league in world football"

Slaven Bilic

Viktor Goncharenko

Vitor Pereira

Vincenzo Montella

Southampton and Swansea appointed using this method so why ca''t we, a team of equal size?[/quote]

Thats what ''we''re such a big club Wolves'' said when they sacked Mick McCarthy with no replacement lined up. People from all over Europe will flock to join our stupendous club they crowed. What happened then? Noone wanted the job so they embarrasingly had to back track and appoint McCarthy''s number 2 who had no management experience. Then what happened? Dont be so sure we''re such an attractive option

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]ON the positive side, given recent appointments at Villa, Everton, Liverpool and Man United. If you come in and impress at a smaller Premier League side, there are real possibilities for career progression.[/quote]

Interesting-and yes, we seem quite happy to have players who see us as a stepping stone to bigger things, so why not a Manager/Coach?

We now know that was probably Lambert''s plan all along but would we have said no to what we achieved under him if there had been a proviso that he left after three seasons?

The Managers of the clubs you mention were, two clubs before their current ones at Colchester (League One), Swansea (in the Championship), Reading (in the Championship-and he was only there for about six months before he quit after 5 wins in 20 league games-from that and 21st in the Champs to Liverpool Manager in three years) and Preston (in the Championship).

The quality is out there at that level-so its folly to think we wouldn''t be, at any time, "thinking big" by talking that approach, whenever it comes. The clubs that recruited Lambert, Martinez, Rodgers and Moyes from those lowly origins obviously knew what they were doing and the calibre of the man they were approaching-even if they might have been accused of not being ambitious with the appointments-and, as one of them was us, I''ve no doubt we could do it again and go back down the road that served us well before-young, talented and ambitious.

Names? Ha. Who tipped Lambert in 2009? Not many. It was all Aidy Bothroyd and Steve Tilson. But who, at that level, will be, in two, three years time be where the likes of those mentioned are now? Uwe Rosler? Phil Parkinson? Stephen Pressley? Could we take a risk on someone like that in the hope they could be another Lambert, Moyes et al-or do you have to go for safe and experienced? Its just that we did that last Summer and, at the moment, it isn''t living up to the billing of what that brings.

"For some bizarre reason the OP seems to think these managers will give up their jobs with top European clubs to come and have a relegation scrap in sleepy Norfolk. Get real guys."

-------------

You''re right, we shouldn''t approach them. We''re tiny. We have nothing. We''re just a pub team.

There are of course many great managers both in and out of work around Europe at the moment (and some even further away). The problem in bringing in a manager mid-season is that there is very little time to adapt and progress.

I would also say bringing in someone who has no Premier League experience is always a risky game - for ever Pochettino there is a Juande Ramos. I remember many, on here and elsewhere, mocking Southampton for bringing in a unknown to most manager who wasn''t particulary fluent in English - although in truth he speaks much more proficiently than he lets on. It is also worth noting that the Southampton chairman has been targetting Pochettino for many months and agreed to move well before Adkins was removed - giving the new man plenty of time to watch Southampton and hit the ground running.

There are some names being thrown around that a completely unrealistic, Montella for example, but also Solskjaer who has said he doesn''t want to move away from Norway until his kids are older. There are also a lot of ''flavour of the month'' time names as well - Thomas Tuchel fits into this, a manager with little experience and zero outside of Germany. I''m all for managerial change if someone better can be brought in, a knee jerk sacking can lead to Norwich being stuck in the position Wolves were left in last season. Whilst I don''t think Norwich would be left in such a dire situation as that, it could well lead to the club having to pick a 3rd, 4th or 5th choice manager - which will result in the club being in exactly the same situation in 18 months time.

Malky eh?

I''ve not seen anyone say we can''t change Hughton because no one better is available. This is a straw man argument

I''ve posted that we shouldn''t change him unless we can get in a replacement who''s better.

I''ve come to the conclusion that it will probably be necessary to go outside the UK. Which is tricky. It''s fair enough for people to throw a few names in the air but how much can you tell about these managers from watching highlights or a few games from their leagues.

I hope the club is doing serious research so that an improvement can be brought in if they decide to get rid of Hughton.

The wolves debacle is well worth remembering.