Sign in to follow this  
rock bus

Snodgrass

There has been quite a few posters having a go at Snodgrass and also questioning why he hasn''t been dropped.

Whilst admitting he hasn''t been at his best, I was surprised to see that in the observers statistic session he is listed as the fifth highest player for cresting chances this season. Although admitedly not sure where the figure of 19 has come from!?

The other thing I would mention is that I really think his value to the team was demonstrated by yesterday''s gutless performance. One thing you have to say for him is that even when off form he doesn''t hide and plays with commitment. I am sure he wouldn''t of rolled over like so many of the others did yesterday and would at least have shown some passion.

I certainly hope he is back for west ham and would even suggest stripping Bassong and given him the captaincy (or at least give it to Martin instead)

Snoddy would be a terrible captain, he looks to argue about everything and spends most of his time doing his best impression of Tom Daley. What sort of man can actually be respected when he tells his team mates things like " Your nake taking the peno / free kick" then spoons them?Shite choice for captain. Snoddy has let himself down this season, was a hero last year but irritating this year.

He is a hard-working, skilful player who we missed yesterday. But he does slow everything down - he reminds me of Milner in some ways (although he seems to have improved at ManC). Hence the chances he does create have already been covered by the opposition defence.

If we need to start scoring goals (!) then I doubt he''s the man to provide the ammunition.

Part of me wonders how different things might have turned out if he hadn''t snatched the ball away from Ricky at the Villa game. Ricky may have scored and got his confidence, we may have gone on to win the game and gained confidence from that. We''d not have gone into this downward spiral and all of us Hughton-outers would be eating our words..... what might have been........

A good hard working player who will cover well.

But all the good work he does in his own half is negated by the way he slows attacks down, turns inside and delivers crosses to the heart of opposition defence and has neither the pace nor the trickery to get crosses in behind a back line.

Any defender who has ever played the game would prefer the balls that Snodgrass puts into the box .......... and any forward who has ever played the game would become very frustrated with that kind of service.

Snoddy would be a terrible captain, he looks to argue about everything and spends most of his time doing his best impression of Tom Daley.

--------------------------------------------------

sounds like a certain fan favourite who now plays in both europe and the championship. must be why he was never captain either.

Aside of the captaincy bit, which for me some are getting hung up on a bit to much, despite clearly not being near his best Snoddy adds an energy and work ethic that we always miss when he''s not in the side, a bit like Grant Holt who didnt have to be scoring to be a major part of the side. But many on her seem to really have a downer on Snodgrass as if he is the only player who has a drop in form or has made a mistake, we actually need more showing his energy and commitment OTBC

[quote user="ron obvious"]He is a hard-working, skilful player who we missed yesterday. But he does slow everything down - he reminds me of Milner in some ways (although he seems to have improved at ManC). Hence the chances he does create have already been covered by the opposition defence.

If we need to start scoring goals (!) then I doubt he''s the man to provide the ammunition.[/quote]

Here i blame the coaching staff, too many times Snodgrass and Hoolhan are taken down a cul-de-sac by the opposition and mugged of the ball. There should be variation in the play where they draw defensive cover and play inside. If you were an oppostion manager the last thing that you would want is a Snodgrass or Redmond arriving at speed in the box with a pass from Elmander, RVW etc. Never mind back of the bag lets stick it into the back of the net.

Win saturday.

OTBC .

H

ricardo wrote the following post at 04/11/2013 5:35 PM:

We are a weaker side without him. Hope is back soon.

Yes, we are weaker defensively because he has a good work ethic, but we need to create more and provide a better service to our expensive forwards.

Maybe the new manager will actually play Snodgrass on the left in the near future as it''s not too obvious if you''re a left back playing against him that Snodgrass''s right foot don''t work.

We missed him against Man City.

He also showed that he cared against Man Utd by sticking his head out for that chance which saw him rushed to hospital.

His performance in the first half against Cardiff was also his most effective so far this season.

I think we miss him and the sooner he is back the better, no matter who the manager is.

Really could have done with him against Man City, even if it were just to win a few free kicks and relieve a bit of pressure when we were under the kosh (which was most of the game really).

Is definitely struggling at the moment but as said above, we are a weaker side without him. He just needs something to happen for him and he''ll be back to his best.

I thought he showed real signs of his old self against Cardiff and was surprised to hear a lot of critisism of him, particularly his corners which I thought were a massive improvement from before and led to a lot of chances.

We need him back for the weekend.

One of the first names on the team sheet for me. If I see Snodgrass is missing I think the task is harder. He is an honest player who never hides. This counts against him when things aren''t going well because he gets noticed more than the player who hides. Has been worth every penny and more.

he has been poor this year, particularly his final ball, but he is not alone in that. Had we had bennett or redmond on sat i am sure he would not have been missed as much.

I am sure he will be fit again for the weekend and I welcome him back. harder choice if redmond fit again, but even if he is the harder working snodgrass probably deserves to start

nutty nigel

"He is an honest player "

I agree he is 100% committed but given his selectively bambi legs not sure i can really agree he fits an "honest" description ;-)

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]he has been poor this year, particularly his final ball, but he is not alone in that. Had we had bennett or redmond on sat i am sure he would not have been missed as much.

I am sure he will be fit again for the weekend and I welcome him back. harder choice if redmond fit again, but even if he is the harder working snodgrass probably deserves to start[/quote]Snoddy over Redmond for me any day I''m afraid.As exciting as Redmond is, he hasn''t got the hang of doing if for more than about 30 minutes of a game.

For his work rate, his experience, his honesty, yes. But we are getting to the situation where we have to attack and score goals. We have to win matches. He slows the game down and is ineffective on the break. He has a lot of good qualities but he is a winger without a good final ball and a winger with not enough pace.

In certain games I would agree that he should start over less experienced players but there comes a time when we have to be more decisive in attack. Against West Ham, for various reasons, a nil nil draw will do no good for anyone, players, supporters or management.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]nutty nigel

"He is an honest player "

I agree he is 100% committed but given his selectively bambi legs not sure i can really agree he fits an "honest" description ;-)[/quote]

Good point Zip. Let''s just say he''s as honest as Hucks and Holty then everyone will be happy[;)]

Give me pace every day of the week. Without it attacks are Static and predictable.

Redmond over Snoddy!

As a defender which one is the easiest to defend against?

Snake

Ask that Cardiff left back who had to face Snodgrass on a good day and he would say that Redmond is the easier to defend against.

I''ld get them tested if l were you!

Also he never really got to face Redmond so he would have no comparison.

However ask any defender what they fear the most and it is facing players with raw pace! Any coach will tell you pace is the hardest thing to defend against. It really limits what a defence can do so once again do your research!

You really are not having a good week are you?

If you couldn''t see Snodgrass giving their left back a torrid afternoon for at least the first 45 minutes then it is you that needs your eyes testing.

Thought he was excellent against Cardiff putting a string of quality crosses into the box both from set pieces and in open play. Pretty sure that since he went off with concussion against Manchester United we''ve only managed one shot on target in the game and a half since then. Seems to put to question some of the continued myths I keep hearing about his slow pace and poor crosses being the reason for our poor attacking play.

I saw a very poor left back allowing him to cut in on his left foot most of the time which made it seem that Snoddy was better than he actually was. however he created very little or found a fellow player with his crosses.

To defend against him all you have to do is show him outside and keep him on his right foot.

He did however play his best game for us this season.

But Redmond has and will be the biggest attacking threat we have!