Sign in to follow this  
YellowFellow

Keep calm and think positive

ok i may be clutching at straws but i dont care, there is so much negativity lets look at the positives. Saturday was embarrasing and humiliating, but that happens in football, lets get over it We lost 7-0 to Man city who lets not forget beat Man united 6-1 on their own ground a couple of years ago

Losing 7-0 doesnt mean we will go down, Wigan lost 9-1 and 8-0 in different seasons but stayed up, vlilla lost 8-0 v chelsea last season but stayed up (and im sure most of the fans that want hughton out would want lambert back)

Lets see how we respond, we have had a pretty hard run recently, but now have a relatively normal run until the last 4games of the season so our season really begins from now.

Fail to get atleast 4 points from our next 2 home matches and we can start to worry but lets not give up just yet

I am trying to keep calm, but a number of things concern me, some of which the manager can do nothing about:

The defence has gone to pot - Saturday could have been in double figures without Ruddy. We have lost Tettey and Benno until 2014, and  Bassong is a shadow of what he was. Most of our defenders are borderline Premiership standard, and will struggle to keep out even limited opposing attacks.

The strikers are not showing any teeth. It is true that both main strikers have had injuries, but neither has done much in the games they have played, even when we created 30 chances. After two months of training with them, the rest of the team seem to have little idea how to supply them. (Redmond, potentially the best supplier of crosses, is out for weeks, possibly). Many of us have a low opinion of Elmander and the management similarly of Becchio, it seems.

We are now playing with something of a shell-shocked defence and strikers who must be very low on confidence. We turned up at the Etihad, for a big game they were supposed to be looking forward to, and they played without any conviction or courage. They folded.

We have certainly lacked our share of luck at times, and some poor decisions by the officials may have turned games.

Some of the above could be outside the manager''s control, - injuries for example, or official''s decisions. These have not been unimportant.

Otherwise you have to question the management''s ability to get the best out of the players, to adopt tactics and team suitable against opponents, to show imagination and flexibility in substitutions, and to "punish" underperforming players by omission. I fear that the present managerial team will struggle to do this, especially given the injury situation.

I have not been a "CH outer", preferring to give his team time to incorporate the many new signings into an effective squad. I fear that now the shattering experience of losing so often will require more than a manager who "will fight". Rather it needs something of a revolution to change things round and a challenge to players to give more than 100%. Nothing less will do.

Over the last few hours, I''ve heard a lot of reference to Villa''s 8-0 thrashing v Chelsea last season. But I really cannot equate that to our performance at the Etihad.

Basically, The Villa 8-0 was just the one occasion where Lambert''s philosophy cam back to bite him on the bum. He went for it, against a far better team and it came unstuch. Big style. These things happen. Of course, to be fair it was followed up with a couple of other unfavourable results. But, in short, something of a blip.

But, as others have said in other threads, our complete no show on Sat was the culmination of a run of results where the writing has been on the wall for some time. Eventually, with CH''s negative mindset, we were going to be on the end of a REAL thrashing (as if the series of 3-1, 4-1, 4-0 wasn''t enough !) By no stretch of imagination can what''s going on at present be described as a blip. It''s been happening for best part of eleven months now.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Over the last few hours, I''ve heard a lot of reference to Villa''s 8-0 thrashing v Chelsea last season. But I really cannot equate that to our performance at the Etihad.

Basically, The Villa 8-0 was just the one occasion where Lambert''s philosophy cam back to bite him on the bum. He went for it, against a far better team and it came unstuch. Big style. These things happen. Of course, to be fair it was followed up with a couple of other unfavourable results. But, in short, something of a blip.

But, as others have said in other threads, our complete no show on Sat was the culmination of a run of results where the writing has been on the wall for some time. Eventually, with CH''s negative mindset, we were going to be on the end of a REAL thrashing (as if the series of 3-1, 4-1, 4-0 wasn''t enough !) By no stretch of imagination can what''s going on at present be described as a blip. It''s been happening for best part of eleven months now.[/quote]You clearly didn''t see ''Goals on Sunday'' and their Analise of the match, basically they said we played it wrong by going for a win from the start.

Third time luck swindon. I guess the word you''re after is "analysis" !

No I did not see Goals on Sunday, but, if what you say is true, then, whatever the editors and presenters of this programme are on....well I want some of it!!!

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Third time luck swindon. I guess the word you''re after is "analysis" !

No I did not see Goals on Sunday, but, if what you say is true, then, whatever the editors and presenters of this programme are on....well I want some of it!!![/quote]It is an interesting point though, that people can cry and whine about Hughtons negative tactics, yet an impartial view is that we were actually too positive.

But, surely the point is, Morty, that "negativity" is not solely a question of what formation he puts out. To be fait CH could have named a starting XI made up entirely of defenders and def midfielders.

But, and this is the crux of what''s happened to City over the last 18 months, part of the whole negativity thing is about the attitude, mindset and ethos of the team. And I defy anyone to pretend that the people in yellow shirts at the Etihad took to the field in a positive frame of mind.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]But, surely the point is, Morty, that "negativity" is not solely a question of what formation he puts out. To be fait CH could have named a starting XI made up entirely of defenders and def midfielders.

But, and this is the crux of what''s happened to City over the last 18 months, part of the whole negativity thing is about the attitude, mindset and ethos of the team. And I defy anyone to pretend that the people in yellow shirts at the Etihad took to the field in a positive frame of mind.[/quote]Have all the performances been negative this season, what about the plaudits we gained for how we played against Arsenal?You know what, sometimes you have to just hold your hand up and say you were beaten by a much better team.

I think that''s what is so frustrating about this, Morty. In (very) brief glimpses we''ve seen just what this squad is capable of .To be fair, I''ve never said ALL of Hughton''s displays have been negative, but far too high a proportion for my liking.

Of course, none of us would have nipped down the bookies confident of a Norwich 3 pts on Saturday, but are you seriously saying that the performance had a shred of positivity about it ?

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]I think that''s what is so frustrating about this, Morty. In (very) brief glimpses we''ve seen just what this squad is capable of .To be fair, I''ve never said ALL of Hughton''s displays have been negative, but far too high a proportion for my liking.

Of course, none of us would have nipped down the bookies confident of a Norwich 3 pts on Saturday, but are you seriously saying that the performance had a shred of positivity about it ?[/quote]I have no idea, I didn''t go on Saturday, and haven''t even watched any "highlights"But lets face it, it was a game none of us seriously thought we could win, a point would have been immense.And you don''t think the players didn''t know this too?Yeah we all love a David and Goliath happy ending sometimes, but they are the exception, not the norm.I think the self doubts were there after the cup game at Man U, which we frankly had more chance of getting something out of.

Believe me, the "highlights" will be in line for the shortest DVD on record (unless you are a Citeh fan) !

As I said, yes not many fans expected anything but a loss. But 0-7 , and a total capitulation ???

And the difference between fans and players is that the players are paid a HUGE sum of money to at least give it a go on a Saturday afternoon....

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Believe me, the "highlights" will be in line for the shortest DVD on record (unless you are a Citeh fan) !

As I said, yes not many fans expected anything but a loss. But 0-7 , and a total capitulation ???

And the difference between fans and players is that the players are paid a HUGE sum of money to at least give it a go on a Saturday afternoon....[/quote]A one nil loss gets the same points as a 7 nil one though. So what would you have wanted the manager to do when we''re away from home, we''re 2 or 3 goals down and we all pretty much know what the outcome is going to be?Take off a defender and throw Becchio on?Regardless of the players general state of mind, you go 2 or 3 goals down away from home then any positivity you had just drains out of you and your performance level drops dramatically.Don''t lower yourself by trotting out the pay argument.

Sorry, but I happen to think that the fact that they get paid megabucks IS relevant. If you don''t, then fair enough ,so we''ll not get into a Nigel-type slanging match over it !?

I''m not altogether sure that things would have panned out like they did if we''d not gone 3 down so limply after 25 mins, btw; but I guess we''ll never know.

To be fair, one of the side effects of the 7-0 thumping is our GD is now one of the worst. Which does, on a matter of figures, mean that to all intents and purposes we are a point worse off than a 1-0 defeat.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Sorry, but I happen to think that the fact that they get paid megabucks IS relevant. If you don''t, then fair enough ,so we''ll not get into a Nigel-type slanging match over it !?

I''m not altogether sure that things would have panned out like they did if we''d not gone 3 down so limply after 25 mins, btw; but I guess we''ll never know.

To be fair, one of the side effects of the 7-0 thumping is our GD is now one of the worst. Which does, on a matter of figures, mean that to all intents and purposes we are a point worse off than a 1-0 defeat.[/quote]It really isn''t relevant at all.Players are paid the going rate for the job, I get paid a lot but theres some days when I just can''t be arsed.When you''re buying a player he''s a person, with all the same emotional frailties that come with that, he isn''t some kind of footballing robot.But if pay is relevant then I guess the higher paid Man City players were just more motivated....

Like I said, Morty , It''s about opinions .I''m not going to get into a slanging match about it; Nige''s cornered the market in that, and I think you and I are reasonable enough not to get sucked into it ??

Being positive works both ways.  It was a very bad week for our club, Saturday on top of the Tuesday was a negative experience even without the perceived negativity if the way we set up to play week in week out.    Being positive means going for a win regardless of the consequences.  That was Lambert''s strength.  He put across a positive message to the players and the supporters all the time.  It was the most positive time for all of us.   Hughton is different - any manager would be different to what happened when PL was here.  But Hughton is  the man in charge and is a capable manager - and wants free-flowing football as much as the rest of us.This last week will imo either make or break us.  Hughton has to get a reaction.  Keep calm and be positive is a great message - the only way the team/club/fans will progress this season is if we are positive.  Negativity is destructive and doesw no-one anygood, fans and players alike.   So I agree with the op - keep calm and think positive.     

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Like I said, Morty , It''s about opinions .I''m not going to get into a slanging match about it; Nige''s cornered the market in that, and I think you and I are reasonable enough not to get sucked into it ??[/quote]No slanging match here fella, I just think it sometimes smacks of petty jealousy when people bring wages into the equation.We''ll agree to disagree[Y]