Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

So in order to divide the supporters even further..

... we now have Smithers thread where he wants only fans who agree with him to be allowed to post. The arrogance of some people on this board seems to know no bounds. Still, I guess that''s the charm of this place and it never fails to keep me amused.

What you gonna do to keep the rabble orf your thread Smithers..........

Release the hounds[:^)]

What in Heaven''s name are you babbling on about now, Nigel. ?

The thread in question was a perfectly reasonable question for Hughton Outers to reveal at what point they became such.

As you are not a Hughton Outer, then qed it doesn''t really concern you, does it ?

That''s not divisive, but you starting threads like this most certainly is .

As an aside, the thread in question has morphed into a much wider ranging one, with some good points made by several people.

Reggie.. you are a sad and miserably grey poster. In my minds eye I see a cross between John Major and Hyacinth Bucket . Oh that you were so quick to follow me on the other thread where I performed a little research just for you...

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

... we now have Smithers thread where he wants only fans who agree with him to be allowed to post. The arrogance of some people on this board seems to know no bounds. Still, I guess that''s the charm of this place and it never fails to keep me amused.

What you gonna do to keep the rabble orf your thread Smithers..........

Release the hounds[:^)]

[/quote]

Never said anyone was not allowed to post Nutty but it was a question for the group of people posting on here who hold a particular viewpoint.

Don''t really see that its any different to someone posting a "question for anyone who went to the game" type post.

You''d be in hot water for that too Smithers. If you restricted a thread to "anyone who went to the game" then you be inundated with posters telling you that the views of fans who don''t go to games are just as relevant.

Now......

About these hounds......

[&][&][&][&][&]

PS I will suggest to you a way to divide the supporters even further - make the West Ham game all about Chris Hughton''s future! Nothing more guaranteed to provide us with a divided, poisonous atmosphere in the ground unless we hit the ground running from minute one.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]As so often, Nigel reverts to type, and when he''s lost the argument, starts to dish out the insults, cryptic comments and silly name calling.

When will you grow up, mate ?[/quote]

Seriously.......

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

You''d be in hot water for that too Smithers. If you restricted a thread to "anyone who went to the game" then you be inundated with posters telling you that the views of fans who don''t go to games are just as relevant.

Now......

About these hounds......

[&][&][&][&][&]

[/quote]

Nutty - you are an intelligent man and we have had many a good debate on here previously which makes this post all the more baffling. Surely even you can tell the difference between a thread that addresses a question or invites responses from a certain group of posters (yet anyone can reply) and a thread where only people of a certain mindset are allowed to reply (not that I have the ability to do that anyway).

The question was not relevant to non-Hughton outers because they, by definition, have not turned to wanting him out.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]PS I will suggest to you a way to divide the supporters even further - make the West Ham game all about Chris Hughton''s future! Nothing more guaranteed to provide us with a divided, poisonous atmosphere in the ground unless we hit the ground running from minute one.[/quote]I presume this is a wee pop at me, so I shall reply.I have never booed at a game, not even in Nigel Worthingtons last game.I shall be behind the team on Saturday 100% as I always am, through thick and thin.But in my opinion, a poor performance and poor result on Saturday will tell me all I need to know.

[quote user="morty"]But in my opinion, a poor performance and poor result on Saturday will tell me all I need to know.[/quote]I see, so it''s now all based on one game!

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Now......

About these hounds......

[&][&][&][&][&]

[/quote]

Nutty - you are an intelligent man and we have had many a good debate on here previously which makes this post all the more baffling. Surely even you can tell the difference between a thread that addresses a question or invites responses from a certain group of posters (yet anyone can reply) and a thread where only people of a certain mindset are allowed to reply (not that I have the ability to do that anyway).

The question was not relevant to non-Hughton outers because they, by definition, have not turned to wanting him out.[/quote]

You are wasting your time Jim. He doesn''t do debate. Just slanging matches and name calling these days.

[quote user="Matt Juler"][quote user="morty"]But in my opinion, a poor performance and poor result on Saturday will tell me all I need to know.[/quote]I see, so it''s now all based on one game![/quote]*Sigh*No, it isn''t. But it will tell me if Hughton still has the dressing room, and if the players are still willing to fight for him.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Jim Smith"]PS I will suggest to you a way to divide the supporters even further - make the West Ham game all about Chris Hughton''s future! Nothing more guaranteed to provide us with a divided, poisonous atmosphere in the ground unless we hit the ground running from minute one.[/quote]I presume this is a wee pop at me, so I shall reply.I have never booed at a game, not even in Nigel Worthingtons last game.I shall be behind the team on Saturday 100% as I always am, through thick and thin.But in my opinion, a poor performance and poor result on Saturday will tell me all I need to know.[/quote]

It wasn''t meant as a pop at you Morty, honestly. More a reflection of why I believe it will be a mistake for the board to allow it to become all about the West Ham game.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Jim Smith"]PS I will suggest to you a way to divide the supporters even further - make the West Ham game all about Chris Hughton''s future! Nothing more guaranteed to provide us with a divided, poisonous atmosphere in the ground unless we hit the ground running from minute one.[/quote]I presume this is a wee pop at me, so I shall reply.I have never booed at a game, not even in Nigel Worthingtons last game.I shall be behind the team on Saturday 100% as I always am, through thick and thin.But in my opinion, a poor performance and poor result on Saturday will tell me all I need to know.[/quote]

It wasn''t meant as a pop at you Morty, honestly. More a reflection of why I believe it will be a mistake for the board to allow it to become all about the West Ham game.[/quote]But YOU are the one carping about this long running negativity, surely by your logic this has gone on long enough now, and a loss on Saturday would be the final nail in the coffin?Do you actually know what you want?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Jim Smith"]PS I will suggest to you a way to divide the supporters even further - make the West Ham game all about Chris Hughton''s future! Nothing more guaranteed to provide us with a divided, poisonous atmosphere in the ground unless we hit the ground running from minute one.[/quote]I presume this is a wee pop at me, so I shall reply.I have never booed at a game, not even in Nigel Worthingtons last game.I shall be behind the team on Saturday 100% as I always am, through thick and thin.But in my opinion, a poor performance and poor result on Saturday will tell me all I need to know.[/quote]

It wasn''t meant as a pop at you Morty, honestly. More a reflection of why I believe it will be a mistake for the board to allow it to become all about the West Ham game.[/quote]But YOU are the one carping about this long running negativity, surely by your logic this has gone on long enough now, and a loss on Saturday would be the final nail in the coffin?Do you actually know what you want?[/quote]

Yes I do know what I want.

I agree with you that if we lose to West Ham then he should go. where we disagree though is that I think that the management team should be sacked now on the basis of their consistent underperformance and giving them "one last chance" could be a mistake.

I think it would be a mistake to let them have "one more game" to turn it around because i think that Hughton does not suddenly become good enough if we manage to scrape a win against West Ham on saturday - which we may well do, even under Hughton. I also think we would be more likely to win that game (and the atmosphere will be fully united and markedly improved) under a new manager or even a caretaker manager who isn''t Calderwood or Trollope. A prolonged set of wins and improved performances over 2 or 3 months then maybe things change but i am not sure we can afford to take the risk of letting him have any more games when we need to get points in the bank now.

I don''t think a win is necessary though to show whether Hughton has or has not lost the dressing room.  A narrow and perhaps unlucky defeat, but a good performance may show that he hasn''t. 

I''d even go as far to suggest that on the back of our last 2 defeats and with West Ham having the best away defensive record in the league, a 0-0 or 1-1 even, would be a good result![:O] 

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

I don''t think a win is necessary though to show whether Hughton has or has not lost the dressing room.  A narrow and perhaps unlucky defeat, but a good performance may show that he hasn''t. 

I''d even go as far to suggest that on the back of our last 2 defeats and with West Ham having the best away defensive record in the league, a 0-0 or 1-1 even, would be a good result![:O] 

[/quote]So you think a plucky loss would calm peoples nerves, and take the pressure off the manager?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[/quote]

So you think a plucky loss would calm peoples nerves, and take the pressure off the manager?
[/quote]

No, that''s not what I said!

I said that I did not think a win was necessary to show whether he had or had not lost the dressing the room.   Completely different to what you have interpreted.

And of course a defeat would not calm people''s nerves, or take the pressure off.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="morty"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[/quote]So you think a plucky loss would calm peoples nerves, and take the pressure off the manager?[/quote]

I said that I did not think a win was necessary to show whether he had or had not lost the dressing the room.   Completely different to what you have interpreted.

And of course a defeat would not calm people''s nerves, or take the pressure off.

[/quote]I think it was a reasonable interpretation.On paper, we''re at home. It looks like pretty much everyone (apart from the long term absentees) is going to be fit for Saturday.Taking any other side issues out of it for the time being, I really think this is a game we should be taking 3 points from. Even if there weren''t any other issues right now, I think I would be pretty disappointed if we couldn''t beat West Ham (with no fit strikers) at home.We have the players to do it.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="morty"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[/quote]

So you think a plucky loss would calm peoples nerves, and take the pressure off the manager?
[/quote]

[/quote]

I think it was a reasonable interpretation.

On paper, we''re at home. It looks like pretty much everyone (apart from the long term absentees) is going to be fit for Saturday.

Taking any other side issues out of it for the time being, I really think this is a game we should be taking 3 points from. Even if there weren''t any other issues right now, I think I would be pretty disappointed if we couldn''t beat West Ham (with no fit strikers) at home.

We have the players to do it.

[/quote]

I can''t really see how you think it is a reasonable interpretation given my opening sentence.  I''m not sure how I could be any clearer on what I was saying?

We are on the back of 2 heavy defeats.  West Ham have conceded only 1 goal in 5 away games this season and it took a penalty at that.  This is the same West Ham side that went to Spurs, who made us look silly, and beat them 3-0.  Taking all of this into account I think a 0-0 or a 1-1 would be a good result. 

Obviously I want a win, I want Hughton to succeed and keep us up, because I think that may well be our best chance of survival this season.

Yes, on paper we have the players, but given the above, I think to win would be a superb result.  But even so, I don''t think it''s one that Hughton will get much credit on, because -

1 - some people assume we should just turn up and beat West Ham, without taking into account any of the above.

2 - we could absolutely thrash West Ham and we''d either have got lucky, West Ham would be on the beach or the players revolted and completely ignored Hughton.

I''d say you point no 1 above is very fair. I think there''s a lot of people who think that if we play to our full potential n Sat, the victory is assured. A very dangerous assumption against a Sam Allardyce team.

However your point 2 is more contentious. I truly believe that w''ve got to the stage that the vast majority of fans are requiring 3 pts, but will overlook how they''ve been got. As I''ve said, personally, I''m looking for a convincing performance, but that will be very much the icing on the cake.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Now......

About these hounds......

[&][&][&][&][&]

[/quote]

The question was not relevant to non-Hughton outers because they, by definition, have not turned to wanting him out.[/quote]

You are wasting your time Jim. He doesn''t do debate. Just slanging matches and name calling these days.[/quote]

I think I''ve been on the receiving end of far more name calling than I''ve dished out. I don''t have to worry about Jim because although he was in a bit of a tiz earlier I think he probably sees the thread for what it was meant. I always remain good humoured on here just as I do in the stadiums and pubs. The ranters amuse me. As do you Reggie. Now how about you taking part in a bit of debate. Yesterday you asked me to look up some stats for you. I gave up a little time to do that, even though you could have done it yourself, and you didn''t have the good grace to either acknowledge or comment.