Sign in to follow this  
Hayden

Stick Iwans wedge in Huckerby's back pocket!

A lot has been said about how much wages Huckerby would demand. Does it not make sense to be a bit cut throat for once and offload the biggest earner at the club? sorry Iwan. If we take his wages away then Huckerbys wages may not seem so daunting and lets face it, the big mans had his day and Huckerby is money much better spent. Players like Jarvis and Hemdo can learn a lot from him and investing in him is worth a lot for the future of the club on ticket sales and league positioning alone. Also, if he does bog off before crimbo along with Crouch (done good) and Harper (who I also think must be signed, Rivers...just watch his attacking) imagine the down beat feeling at the club just as we enter our favourite time of year, the christmas slump. When I think back at the cash wasted on Emblen and Nielsen and others (nearly a mill) it is frustrating that when a player comes along who is so hugely valuable to the clubs aspirations we may see him go. Also, NW may feel that after showing what he can do when he is able to bring in quality, he is ready to go to a club that will allow him to buy players of such a calibre. I''ll chip in a ton for Hucks. OTBC!

You ''talk'' a lot of sense. In addition to the £1m+ wasted on suspect signings we can also consider the last two year contract ( £1m ? ) given to Iwan Roberts as not being value for money.
Surely the bottom line is do we want Premiership football next season, because if we do we won''t get it by letting the likes of Darren Huckerby slip through our fingers. Perhaps some supporters think playing a striker in his 36th year is the alternative. I don''t.

I totally disagree, Iwan may earn a lot and be past his best, but he still plays well when he comes off the bench. Nobody holds the ball up better and distributes it as well. I bet Crouchy has learnt a lot from him. I dont see why we cant have both???

Obviously he cant play a full match but he can still cut it in division 1. Just see his impact on the Wimbledon game for the first hour.

I totally agree with that. Iwan had his knockers when he first arrived but there aren''t many people left that he hasn''t convinced over the years. And over the years he has always been the one opposition managers pick out and fear most. He is different class when it comes to doing what a big striker in his mould does best. Making a nuisance of himself in the opposition defence and keeping and holding up the ball. Even now you can see the difference he makes as soon as he comes off the bench. He puts himself about, gets stuck in, doesn''t lose the ball and gives 110%. And the young strikers at the club can learn loads from him.
His career is nearly at an end but he deserves to see out his contract, on merit.
The survival and subsequent revival in NCFC fortunes is down to 4 people - Delia and MWJ, NW and big Iwan. We really would be in div 2 now if it weren''t for him! And we would never have got to Cardiff without him either. Iwan is god!

I''ve just heard a rumour from a very reliable source that there has been some serious intrest froma club in the midlands about Paul Mcviegh, the figure of 2.5 million has benn mentioned

If I recall the season we reached Cardiff Iwan Roberts hardly had a game after Christmas and if anybody should get the credit it was McVeigh and Neilson. As far as being in division two without Roberts, it is an opinion you are entiteld to. I would say, however, that having supported Norwich for over fifty years I have seen countless players who were vastly superior to Roberts but none of them were a one man team.

Well, lets put it this way. Who would you rather have, Darren Huckerby or Iwan Roberts, hmm tough one.

I agree with most of Haydens thoughts, however lay off the big man!. Ewan should be offered a permanent coaching role at the club, think what he could teach the youngsters. But getting back to Huckerby, this board now has a chance to show supporters that they have the ambition to go towards the Premiership, if they don''t, then we''ll know who to blame in January. The money MUST be found, City have a good Divison 1 team, with Huckerby and Harper, the skys the limit. Of course they could both get injured, thats a risk that applies to all in football, it is a risk I think the club should be willing to take, and should not be used as an excuse. As they say ''We live in interesting times''.

Who made the goal ?
Who made an out of the world save to prevent Wigan taking three points ?
My point is football is a team game and everybody is paid, and paid well, to do their job.

i agree!!! lay off the big man he has been quality and deserves to finish his contract. its a pity not all the players over the years have worn the yellow shirt with such pride. if roberts continues to play off the bench as well this season and scores goals i would offer him a new one year player coach deal next season. not only does he add experience to the side he also is a great motivator for the team as stuart pearce was in his day. you need them sort of players in the changing room. forget roberts what about the rubbish we have like abbey and notman who will never make the grade and score 20 goals a season. both players are 2nd div players just like dalglish when he was at carrow rd. if we got rid of abbey, notman and with neilson now left we would have alot more money to offer huckerby who is class. i remember putting huckerby name forward on the ncfc website and others said he would never play for the club and were wrong. the point is not can the club afford huckerby but can the club afford not to sign him.!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was silly letting Iwan go before Ashton came in. We had about half a season with a hole. Iwn would only have had to have scored 1 goal to take a draw to a win and Norwich would have stayed up !