Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

Hughton Staying Come What May - Get Used To It!

It''s the hope that really kills you so if you harbour hopes of Hughton being replaced you might just be condemning yourself to months and months of agony.

So much effluent has gone under the bridge and nothing has been said to make me believe the Board has any intention of replacing Hughton. Not even a vote of confidence which is usually two weeks notice in disguise.

On a positive note I think the Club believes Hughton is the man to develop the academy and youth streams and he might very well be.

On a negative note I think Hughton will be retained should we be relegated (tongue firmly in cheek) and will remain manager in the corresponding Championship season. The ambition to remain an EPL Club has subsided with the debt eradication, and the eye has come off the ball as often happens when a psychological finish line has been crossed.

Hughton is also too well liked in the game. Getting rid of him would be like throwing Granny out of the hot air balloon to gain height. The Board are frightened of the reaction. In addition, as I said yesterday, McNally and the Board are too wedded to Hughton to make a tough objective decision. His appointment has been a failure and rather than admit it the purse holders are hanging on in quiet desperation which Pink Floyd said was the English way. it certainly has re-surfaced as ''the Norwich Way.''

The players are clearly sick of him. Throwing a game at Man City was never going to affect the likely outcome but might shift a manager they no longer wish to labour under. Even this doesn''t seem to be enough.

It seems ''Cautious'' Chris is here for the long term, whatever the fall from grace. Perhaps we''d all feel better if we just accepted it.

And for those of a misspelling ilk. Getting Houghton out of Norfolk (brick by manorial brick) might prove the easier option. 

Impossible to know what is going on behind closed doors - the board may feel Hughton has more chance to get something out of the West Ham game than having a caretaker manager in charge (most likely Calderwood). After West Ham there is a two week international break - if you want to make a managerial change that is the time.

Sacking a manager shouldn''t be based on one result, and not sacking him shouldn''t either. If the board feel Hughton isn''t the man to take the club forward long term then a win agianst West Ham shouldn''t change that opinion.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]

It''s the hope that really kills you so if you harbour hopes of Hughton being replaced you might just be condemning yourself to months and months of agony.

So much effluent has gone under the bridge and nothing has been said to make me believe the Board has any intention of replacing Hughton. Not even a vote of confidence which is usually two weeks notice in disguise.

On a positive note I think the Club believes Hughton is the man to develop the academy and youth streams and he might very well be.

On a negative note I think Hughton will be retained should we be relegated (tongue firmly in cheek) and will remain manager in the corresponding Championship season. The ambition to remain an EPL Club has subsided with the debt eradication, and the eye has come off the ball as often happens when a psychological finish line has been crossed.

Hughton is also too well liked in the game. Getting rid of him would be like throwing Granny out of the hot air balloon to gain height. The Board are frightened of the reaction. In addition, as I said yesterday, McNally and the Board are too wedded to Hughton to make a tough objective decision. His appointment has been a failure and rather than admit it the purse holders are hanging on in quiet desperation which Pink Floyd said was the English way. it certainly has re-surfaced as ''the Norwich Way.''

The players are clearly sick of him. Throwing a game at Man City was never going to affect the likely outcome but might shift a manager they no longer wish to labour under. Even this doesn''t seem to be enough.

It seems ''Cautious'' Chris is here for the long term, whatever the fall from grace. Perhaps we''d all feel better if we just accepted it.

And for those of a misspelling ilk. Getting Houghton out of Norfolk (brick by manorial brick) might prove the easier option. 

[/quote]Interesting that this thought has crossed my mind. All you ever hear is people saying what a great guy he his. Mike Ashley got castigated for sacking him and I think they are worried the same would happen to them. The difference is that Mike Ashley didn''t care what anyone said. Motson was on Monday night club last night saying the Hughton hasn''t been given enough time and what a thoroughly nice guy he was and sacking him would be grossly unfair. So I think they are waiting until we have lost 10 in a row before they sack him!!!

[/quote]If there is any evidence for this I am sure we would all like to hear it. But of course it''s no more true than Villa''s 0-8 defeat to Chelsea was indicative of their players desire to shift Lambert.Do you really think McNally would stand idly by and let things drift if he thought the players were throwing a game to send a message?

Exactly Ricardo! What I cant understand is how anybody regardless of what they feel about Chris Hughton being at our club can not understand that the current Board would hang on to him (or any Manager) just because he is a nice guy. They will have discussed all possibilities, have a contingency plan and a definite point where they will act, BUT they know that the time must be right for the sake of the club long term. They will know exactly when to do whatever they need to do and they will certainly want to stay in this league as much as the rest of us. Right now while this storm is being weathered it''s a game by game situation and the team will need everyone behind them during this period, we should all focus on that and let the Board take care of business. 

Some utter tosh from the OP there.McNally is the sort of CE who does things quietly behind the scenes. There is no point sacking the manager without someone lined up to replace him. Isn''t this what he did when Lambert came in? If CH had gone by now, Calderwood would most likely been in charge for the Wet Sham game and i''m pretty sure we could guarantee a defeat then.

My God, Rudolf. Old Nige described me as "negative, grey and miserable" in one of his many forgettable rants earlier today. I shudder to think what adjectives he''s going to saddle you with after that opening salvo.

But, of course you are, as so often, spot on. Someone once said tha a week is a long time in politics. It''s a phrase that could be used for football, but the truth is that we''ve now had about 70 weeks of Chris Hughton and his mates, and all but a handful of them have been absolutely DIRE.

I think that you are right. Think back to a few weeks ago when the board let it slip that there is no real desire to reach the Europa cup as it did not make any economic sense. Look at all those wonderful cup runs we go on every season (not).Does it make any economic sense to be in the Premiership, where we need a higher class of player on higher wages. The board knows that with a ground the size of Carrow Road as it is, the majority of games will be sell outs and the attraction will always be the opposition teams not our own.

Is it evidence to the contrary, Ricardo, to draw comparisons? Are the two so similar it is in any way reliable to do so? Of course it isn''t. You have to believe what your own eyes tell you.

The Man City match can be taken in the context of the season as a whole. It is also true that, to a man our performance was awful and not just naïve as in charging into attacks and getting picked off or being outclassed but crucially in not competing, not closing down the opposition; not putting in tackles; not putting the foot through the ball or, in the case of Ruddy: going down in 9 monthly instalments.

Of course, no player is ever going to come out and say it although I bet his team-mates were keeping Fer away from the microphones. But having lost and performed lamely four days before and with an under pressure manager no player was bursting a gut for him.

Footballers are quickly redeemed. Villain one week hero the next but it isn''t the same for managers and you can''t replace a team just like that.

Russell Martin was diplomatic just after the game but this aside no players have truly come out and backed their under fire manager.

Swansea changed managers and kept their playing style as they had the players in place to do. Norwich went for a polar opposite and players used to success under a system suddenly found themselves like square pegs in round holes. Even the new players have failed to flourish and as mainly strikers it is no wonder because the team is not set up to serve them and they look like misfits.

McNally does things quietly?

What like the boxing gloves photo when Lambert was poached?

He has gone quiet, it''s true, kept his head down. Let''s hope he is doing things behind the scenes. We need Machiavelli McNally to sort this mess out. But as I originally posted. I suspect Hughton is here long term no matter what.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]My God, Rudolf. Old Nige described me as "negative, grey and miserable" in one of his many forgettable rants earlier today. I shudder to think what adjectives he''s going to saddle you with after that opening salvo.

But, of course you are, as so often, spot on. Someone once said tha a week is a long time in politics. It''s a phrase that could be used for football, but the truth is that we''ve now had about 70 weeks of Chris Hughton and his mates, and all but a handful of them have been absolutely DIRE.[/quote]

LOL.. rants?? I don''t think so. And in case you forgot I said you put me in mind of a kinda cross between John Major and Hyacinth Bucket. Reading your post here it''s rather more like Les Dawson telling tales to Roy Kinnear over the garden fence.

It''s not like I went the Bury way and called you odious........

McNally does things quietly?

What like the boxing gloves photo when Lambert was poached?

He has gone quiet, it''s true, kept his head down. Let''s hope he is doing things behind the scenes. We need Machiavelli McNally to sort this mess out. But as I originally posted. I suspect Hughton is here long term no matter what.

[/quote]What I mean is he doesn''t shout about it until he knows he has his man. I would guess the lack of any comment from the board means they are very busy making decisions.

My guess is the board are in a pickle that they never thought they would be in and don''t quite know what to do. I''m disappointed that Hughton is still here.

I heard last week from a good source that the players like Hughton personally, but not professionally as they don''t like his negative tactics - they are being forced to play a way that their heart is not into. The players aren''t giving him 100% - not even close. Contrast this to Lambert''s positive get up and go (not always successful, agreed) tactics, it doesn''t take a lot of working out why you see such lacklustre displays. Hughton is finished and his nice guy image is dragging this end play out unnecessarily.

We had steak under Lambert. Now we''re eating spam fritters.

I will be amazed if he is in charge on Monday 11th lunchtime. I feel the board WILL act and the West Ham result will be welcomed if we win but will make not the slightest difference. At this point I firmly trust the Board of NCFC. They are not fools and have the club''s best interests at heart.

I trust them sonyc. They certainly know more about what''s going on than me. But I don''t trust them conditionally. Trust must surely encompass either outcome.

basil brush wrote the following post at 05/11/2013 6:08 PM:

My guess is the board are in a pickle that they never thought they would be in and don''t quite know what to do. I''m disappointed that Hughton is still here.

I heard last week from a good source that the players like Hughton personally, but not professionally as they don''t like his negative tactics - they are being forced to play a way that their heart is not into. The players aren''t giving him 100% - not even close. Contrast this to Lambert''s positive get up and go (not always successful, agreed) tactics, it doesn''t take a lot of working out why you see such lacklustre displays. Hughton is finished and his nice guy image is dragging this end play out unnecessarily.

We had steak under Lambert. Now we''re eating spam fritters.

The players didn''t like it last season and it is the same but worse now Basil. We are undoubtedly nearing the end game I can see no way that Hughton can turn this round. There were rumours and some heard whispers last season that players were unhappy, Holty''s subsequent comments only confirm this.

It has been so obvious for so long, to delay any further will damage the club and the standing of the CEO and the Board.

Get on with it and save our season!!!!

You bring a manager in to manage the players, not let them dictate how the team should play.I wish so many would stop harking back to Lambert, the bloke did his bit and has gone and wont ever be coming back. It''s as if so many never saw City play under any other manager.BTW, to all those with rose tint specs, Lambert''s current team have now not scored in the last 400 minutes of Premier League football.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]My God, Rudolf. Old Nige described me as "negative, grey and miserable" in one of his many forgettable rants earlier today. I shudder to think what adjectives he''s going to saddle you with after that opening salvo.

But, of course you are, as so often, spot on. Someone once said tha a week is a long time in politics. It''s a phrase that could be used for football, but the truth is that we''ve now had about 70 weeks of Chris Hughton and his mates, and all but a handful of them have been absolutely DIRE.[/quote]

LOL.. rants?? I don''t think so. And in case you forgot I said you put me in mind of a kinda cross between John Major and Hyacinth Bucket. Reading your post here it''s rather more like Les Dawson telling tales to Roy Kinnear over the garden fence.

It''s not like I went the Bury way and called you odious........

[/quote]

From what I remember, it was Ron,actually, Nutty. But that little misunderstanding''s been cleared up, thanks.

Ahh, Les and Roy. Two of the greats of British comedy. You are TOO kind to bracket me with them .

I know you try on your alternative comedy routine, Nige, but it needs a little polishing I''m afraid.

Herman

"You bring a manager in to manage the players, not let them dictate how the team should play."

My view on that statement. Is that the poster seems to have an image of dictatorial management where the players do as they are told.

That''s not the way to manage.

You need a buy in to what you are trying to achieve and a leadership style that brings the players with you. The players need to understand what your trying to do, how you wish it to be done, and that it will be a successful approach. They need to feel confident in their own role and to be reassured about their own ability to do what''s required of them. There needs to be a belief in the squad that each knows what their role and is competent and confident to fullfill it.

Not very well expressed I know Herman but I''m sure you get my drift.

I appreciate your sensible answer. So where is Hughton going wrong? Too dictatorial? Too inflexible?

I certainly don''t see him as dictatorial, I just don''t think he has been able to inspire the players and instill a belief in their own ability and his strategy.

Sometimes last season it looked to me as if the guys didn''t really understand what was being asked of them so I suspect he has not been able to convincingly get across what it is he wants them to do. How can you play with confidence if there is uncertainty in your mind.

One example from memory, there was a home game, can''t recall which one where Pilks made a great break down the wing, Holty was just inside him and you would have expected him to get forward into the box. What actually happen however was Holty almost broke his stride and dropped back in behind Pilks to cover the space he had left. Now that for me was not what Holty would have naturally done but was him believing he had to play to a system which covered gaps in defence when players went forward. He looked hesitant and uncomfortable in this role. I don''t actually think that''s what Hughton would have wanted him to do in that situation! but is was as if Holty was trying to think of a system rather than show his natural ability and flair.

Once players stop doing what they are good at because they don''t really know what''s expected of them you don''t have much chance.

Que comments that we finished eleventh!!!!

Didn''t I read somewhere that Calderwood observed matches from different parts of the stands to see where things were going wrong?

Perhaps Hughton should hire the SKY blimp and hang from it.

Just comes across as overthinking and overcomplicating things.

[quote user="Vanwink"]Herman

"You bring a manager in to manage the players, not let them dictate how the team should play."

My view on that statement. Is that the poster seems to have an image of dictatorial management where the players do as they are told.

That''s not the way to manage.

You need a buy in to what you are trying to achieve and a leadership style that brings the players with you. The players need to understand what your trying to do, how you wish it to be done, and that it will be a successful approach. They need to feel confident in their own role and to be reassured about their own ability to do what''s required of them. There needs to be a belief in the squad that each knows what their role and is competent and confident to fullfill it.

Not very well expressed I know Herman but I''m sure you get my drift.[/quote]You misunderstand me.Its the manager'' job to devise tactics and a system and to use players he thinks will make it work. I suspect Lambert did exactly this and did it very well. How many times did he drop/sell players simply because they didn''t fit into what he wanted?

We will lose to West Ham on Saturday & he''ll be clearing his desk first thing on Monday morning.As a parting gift the Club will give him a Saxon Air Helicopter Flight - "see Carrow Road from the air" so they can wave him bye bye

[quote user="Making Plans"]We will lose to West Ham on Saturday & he''ll be clearing his desk first thing on Monday morning.As a parting gift the Club will give him a Saxon Air Helicopter Flight - "see Carrow Road from the air" so they can wave him bye bye[/quote][:D]