Sign in to follow this  
PAUL

West Ham - minutes silence for remembrance

[quote user="crabbycanary"]

That would be a relevant gesture

Wonder what James McClean is going to do this year?

[/quote]

Do you really expect an Irishman (given the history of the Irish and the British army) to respect the British?

Honestly?

''Do you really expect an Irishman (given the history of the Irish and the British army) to respect the British?

Honestly? ''

Yes.

He''s in this country, he''s being employed and paid by an English football club, he needs to respect that.

[URL=http://s869.photobucket.com/user/mortymccarthy/media/34889968_zps640dffc5.jpg.html][IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/mortymccarthy/34889968_zps640dffc5.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Sorry RVW, it was a little bit self indulgent, as this time last year I was pretty peeved that he refused to wear a poppy on his (British Employers) shirt, and some other posters took a bit of umbrage against my opinion, some others disagreed.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]''Do you really expect an Irishman (given the history of the Irish and the British army) to respect the British?

Honestly? ''

Yes.

He''s in this country, he''s being employed and paid by an English football club, he needs to respect that.[/quote]

Yeah ok. Move to this country and we have to respect all the bad things that said country might have done to family/friends etc..

I respect him for standing up for what he believes.Is not wearing a poppy so offensive?

The poppy has nothing to do with any conflict between Britain and Ireland. Ireland were on our side in WW1 and WW2. The Poppy and Remembrance Sunday is to pay respect to that.

Fine not wearing a poppy in general, but his club wanted to have the players wearing it on their shirt, they quite possibly had players from countries who were on the Axis side in the World Wars (although I don''t know...). No one else made a fuss as far as I know. And its really not going to hurt him, and they probably sold the shirts for charity. Its just disrespectful.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]The poppy has nothing to do with any conflict between Britain and Ireland. Ireland were on our side in WW1 and WW2. The Poppy and Remembrance Sunday is to pay respect to that.

Fine not wearing a poppy in general, but his club wanted to have the players wearing it on their shirt, they quite possibly had players from countries who were on the Axis side in the World Wars (although I don''t know...). No one else made a fuss as far as I know. And its really not going to hurt him, and they probably sold the shirts for charity. Its just disrespectful.[/quote]

Do you not see the irony?"We fought for democracy in WW2 BUT you''re only allowed to express a view if you agree with the popular majority!"

[quote user="RvWs 4 year contract"][quote user="Gingerpele"]The poppy has nothing to do with any conflict between Britain and Ireland. Ireland were on our side in WW1 and WW2. The Poppy and Remembrance Sunday is to pay respect to that.

Fine not wearing a poppy in general, but his club wanted to have the players wearing it on their shirt, they quite possibly had players from countries who were on the Axis side in the World Wars (although I don''t know...). No one else made a fuss as far as I know. And its really not going to hurt him, and they probably sold the shirts for charity. Its just disrespectful.[/quote]

Do you not see the irony?"We fought for democracy in WW2 BUT you''re only allowed to express a view if you agree with the popular majority!"

[/quote]Will you be wearing a poppy?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="RvWs 4 year contract"][quote user="Gingerpele"]The poppy has nothing to do with any conflict between Britain and Ireland. Ireland were on our side in WW1 and WW2. The Poppy and Remembrance Sunday is to pay respect to that.

[/quote]Will you be wearing a poppy?[/quote]

I have done in previous years and probably will do this year yes.

But the point remains. I respect the right for anyone to have any view that they hold and to epress it how they wish (as long as they dont harm anybody).

Thats not what I said at all.

Yet again you do that. You always do that. Its so annoying. Don''t bother to actually read anything I say and make things up to suit your own agenda.

I rarely agree with the popular majority. Especially on here and when it comes to Football, which is probably the biggest thing I have an opinion on.

This is one Irish player who''s decided to have a strop about wearing a symbol of remembrance for fallen soldiers on his shirt, when everyone else at the club agreed to do so regardless of where they were from. Did O''Shea refuse? He was a Sunderland player and Irish.

It literally has no effect on his life, he''s refused to wear what is essentially a charity symbol. On a shirt that would probably have been auctioned off for charity (I assume they do that like we do). He''s not standing up for anything, he''s being a prat. I''m half Irish I don''t refuse to wear a Poppy. i''m wearing one right now.

''But the point remains. I respect the right for anyone to have any view that they hold and to epress it how they wish (as long as they dont harm anybody)..

Fine. So i''m also allowed to think he''s a disrespectful prat then?

[quote user="Gingerpele"]''But the point remains. I respect the right for anyone to have any view that they hold and to epress it how they wish (as long as they dont harm anybody)..

Fine. So i''m also allowed to think he''s a disrespectful prat then?[/quote]

Yep, and I have the right to disagree with you...

Stop implying that I''m not letting you have a view by expressing one of my own...

[quote user="Gingerpele"]The poppy has nothing to do with any conflict between Britain and Ireland. Ireland were on our side in WW1 and WW2. The Poppy and Remembrance Sunday is to pay respect to that. Fine not wearing a poppy in general, but his club wanted to have the players wearing it on their shirt, they quite possibly had players from countries who were on the Axis side in the World Wars (although I don''t know...). No one else made a fuss as far as I know. And its really not going to hurt him, and they probably sold the shirts for charity. Its just disrespectful.[/quote]

No Ginger the Republic certainly weren''t on our side.

They remained "neutral" allowing Germany equal access.

Cost the Royal and Merchant Navy''s countless lives.

Look it up in any book about the battle of the Atlantic.

[quote user="The Butler"]

[quote user="Gingerpele"]The poppy has nothing to do with any conflict between Britain and Ireland. Ireland were on our side in WW1 and WW2. The Poppy and Remembrance Sunday is to pay respect to that. Fine not wearing a poppy in general, but his club wanted to have the players wearing it on their shirt, they quite possibly had players from countries who were on the Axis side in the World Wars (although I don''t know...). No one else made a fuss as far as I know. And its really not going to hurt him, and they probably sold the shirts for charity. Its just disrespectful.[/quote]

No Ginger the Republic certainly weren''t on our side.

They remained "neutral" allowing Germany equal access.

Cost the Royal and Merchant Navy''s countless lives.

Look it up in any book about the battle of the Atlantic.

[/quote]

Ok yeah, in WW2 they weren''t. But they were in WW1 which was they followed by Civil war and other events leading to independence.

It would be entirely appropriate for the club to have a minutes silence on Saturday evening, I''m sure the vast majority of people at the game would pretty much expect one.

As for the whole Irish debate, it''s best not to pick bits and pieces out of the history books, it''s a long and sad saga which goes way beyond the actions of James McClean, best left alone however offensive many of us found it.

[quote user="RvWs 4 year contract"][quote user="Gingerpele"]The poppy has nothing to do with any conflict between Britain and Ireland. Ireland were on our side in WW1 and WW2. The Poppy and Remembrance Sunday is to pay respect to that.

[/quote]
Was it ballocks.  It was about empire building and Germany having a bigger one than ours.

I don''t think you have to wear a poppy to pay your respects... I never wear one but still feel its important to take part in the 2 minute silence and everything associated.It''s getting like Movember.. there''s a dim view if you don''t take part from some people, but that doesn’t make you any less of a supporter?

Last time I checked the poppy is a symbol of the fallen.

Those people, In WW1 and WW2, fought for freedom of speech and democracy. Surely it''s a bit hypocritical to have a go at a player who feels he doesn''t want to wear the poppy?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]I don''t think you have to wear a poppy to pay your respects... I never wear one but still feel its important to take part in the 2 minute silence and everything associated.It''s getting like Movember.. there''s a dim view if you don''t take part from some people, but that doesn’t make you any less of a supporter?[/quote]
You would if it had Lambretta stamped on it [;)]

[quote user="Bws Cat "]Last time I checked the poppy is a symbol of the fallen.

Those people, In WW1 and WW2, fought for freedom of speech and democracy. Surely it''s a bit hypocritical to have a go at a player who feels he doesn''t want to wear the poppy?[/quote]

Agree with this.   These days there is too much of the attitude that you have to "fit in" to be seen as acceptable.   Stand up for your rights and what you believe in.   Wear a poppy if you want to, don''t wear one if you don''t want too.  The people with the problems are the ones that want to force you to wear one, or at least make you feel guilty, if you don''t.

I wear a poppy but I would rather certain so called celebrities didn''t bother rather than wear a piece of bling instead of the traditional, simple, humble RBL poppy.