Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

New Broom

Its inevitable that when a new manager comes in, he ultimately turns over the playing staff. Managers want to mould a team in their own image and dont want successes attributed to former managers (ie he''s winning with Hughton''s side, so the credit must go to him). This is probably the most talented pool of players we''ve ever had. There are only a few I dont really rate now. It would be a shame for them to be flushed out by a new manager, as ultimately happens (I mean Hughton has nearly finished purging the Lambert signings). Yes theyre under performing but a new manager might simply want to bring in his own players. I think of when Dalglish took over from Keegan at Newcastle. he couldnt rest until he''d taken a keegans squad apart. And he made them sh*te. Wouldnt want that to happen to this pool of players

A very good point.  It''s only natural that a new manager would want to decide who he rates and who he wants to get rid of in the current squad.  But we don''t want a Redknapp who will need to spend loads of cash just to change the squad round.

I think Hughton has approached this well - most of the Lambert players who have gone were from the lower leagues, the ones we still have are the ones who''ve done well in the step up to the Prem e.g. Howson, Ruddy, Snoddy etc.

A new manager wont want to manage the existing squad. I wonder if we have a romantic idea about our favourite players being allowed to play under a new guy. New guy will want his own players in. Could be costly and a step backward. I think Hughton needs to go. But I like the players and would be sad to see them flushed out

If a "new Broom" will be brought in, I would imagine the Board would want to select someone who could bring out the best in the existing squad rather than wanting to make lots of changes in January. How they would achieve that objective is difficult as they would need technical advice from within (i.e. someone who has worked with the players and knows their strengths). Who could that be?

Nobody needs to be flushed. W e have plenty who can get more playing time and a few who can be repositioned to their strongest spots.

That would make it the new mgr''s team at least until summer.

None of our strikers could be classified as Hughton''s as none seem to be part of game planning.

Well if Big Sam was recruited, we could sell RVW, Hooper and Becchio to make way for the only striker he rates - Carroll !! Until he is fit, he doesn''t play strikers.

There is sometimes a boost in performance when a new manager comes in. Those players overlooked by the outgoing manager step up their performance to attract attention, as everything is up for grabs. The new man may also bring a sense of hope and expectation in the squad and among the spectators, especially if he brings a well-respected team of assistants. Finally, he will hopefully bring new ideas and methods which produce a new determination in the squad. He will indeed eventually decide that certain players are not up to quality or will not play in the way he wishes, and so they will be encouraged to move on, which is normal.

Unless he comes out of the season, or in December, there is little prospect of signing new players, except loan players. He has to go with the squad he has, largely.

In our situation, I think that with all players fit we probably do have a good squad, but I also believe that the back up players within the squad are, in a few cases, very borderline premiership players. We suffer from three things at present - the uneven depth with back up players, our lack of match winner individuals and a lack of pace. You only have to compare other squads who have thumped us recently to see the truth of this. If we have a new manager soon, he has to grapple with these truths.