Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Hughton's appointment

Chris Hughton was installed quite swiftly after Lambert left, with Bowkett and McNally both saying he was their number one choice.

I think we can all agree that Lambert and Hughton are polar opposites in their approach to the game. I remember feeling at the time that we should appoint Culverhouse as Manager, as the last thing we needed was a change and rather we needed to continue the good work. Hughton and Lambert are very different. I felt last seasons struggles were due to Lambert''s players not fitting in to Hughton''s system, but now he has his own players, so that cant be used as a reason for the current difficulties.

Hughton is a very different manager to Paul Lambert and seemed an odd choice for this reason. Was Hughton appointed as a ''F*ck you'' to Lambert do you think? Like going out with a redhead when your ex was a blonde? Was Hughton appointed because he would be easy to work with for instance, rather than arguably not, in Lamberts case. Was Hughton appointed because he represented what the board wanted, rather than what the team needed? Just seems odd to appoint a manager with such a contrasting style to Lambert, when surely consolidation is what is wanted rather than revolution. If any of these things were features, surely they are backfiring now?

I have to admit he was my first choice too.

A safe pair of hands to keep us up , which he achieved....... just

He spent lots of money on goods players but just cant create a team.

I thought we had to stick with him to the end of last season regardless of the outcome, although at the end of the season I was relieved but ot convinced.

I said 10 games this season and here we are, simply not good enough.

I think there''s a element of truth to this ie being reactive to Paul Lambert''s departure. There was a fair amount of bitterness and anger directed towards Lambert because of his ''impatient'' attitude and then the suing happened down the line.

Hughton is pretty much a yes man. I''ve heard the reports that Mike Ashley wanted a strong personality as manager of Newcastle, someone to challenge the board, not just accept things as they are (Hughton has never been this type of personality).

You couldn''t blame Bowkett or McNally for looking at a different type of manager to Lambert. However, as time as gone on, Hughton has shown a real lack of leadership skills (dropping players when off form, sticking to his one formation, not making proactive subs in matches we''re failing in). In addition, to go from a fearless brand of football under one manager to a reactive (especially away) style under another has failed to being taken to / in by the players....

I agree with much on this thread. I didn''t expect him to be as good as Lambert, but not as bad as has become. A safe pair of hands.

In hindsight, it was the wrong appointment and the club not only lost the momentum under Lambert, but Hughton lack of tactical nous has taken us backwards.

We''re worse now than when we were in The Championship and that is down to Hughton. He should of been sacked by now, but the club haven''t been pro active either.

Last season Bowkett and McNally said  Hughton was a "best in class" manager. Meaning he was the best from the pond we can fish in. That''s what they believed then. Whether they believe that now I couldn''t say for sure but I suspect they do. If Hughton leaves the club it will be because the appointment didn''t work out. He will still have the attributes that got him the job.

The one thing I am confident of is that Hughton will be judged on his record amongst his contemporaries in this league.

I will admit to be slightly disappointed when the Manager with top League experience amounted to a man who had 1/2 a season in the Premier League (whether he was sacked fairly or not is irrelevant). I knew it was a failure the moment the Fulham game was over. However, looking back (I thought Solbakken might have been a good appointment for Wolves!!) and looking at the manager pool now I can see why they appointed him. And I doubt they were ever going to say "Well he''s the best we can get at the moment!!". However, his short managerial career has to have some downs and currently this is one. I think he can use this as a learning curve for himself as we can use it for ourselves

I was pleased with the appointment and was on holiday at the time. I remember walking round Havana in my City shirt and having half a dozen conversations with random strangers all of whom thought we''d done well to get him.

I think he was and is the antithesis of Lambert.

A sticker not a leaver.

A builder of a club not a first team only

An easy personality not a difficult one.

A manager you could replace not one who is irreplaceable.

I agree with that. We were never going to find another Lambert so go with someone who offered different qualities.

If we are going to replace him, then we seriously need to look at where we went wrong with this appointment. The key in my mind is not replacing Lambert with a manager of the same style and philosophy of the game. If anything, we should have adopted the Swansea method. Not in the way they play, but who they replace their managers with when one leaves. They look for someone with the same qualities and style as the previous (because the board has a philosophy of how the club should go about things and play). That way the players already there suit the style of play and the club continues to move forward with little disruption.

What did we do? Choose the complete polar opposite and, thus, our successful style of play and strategy changed completely. This affected several of our best players who found it hard to adapt or perform to their best attributes and has eventually lead to where we are now. Decide first where we want to go and how Norwich should play, then research who fits that philosophy.

Looking back now maybe we were too hasty in getting another long term manager, the break up with the other one (I still find it hard to say the name) was too traumatic and we rushed into another commitment. We should''ve met with and had fun with lots of other managers or maybe just go on a holiday with our friends (no managers) and wait until we were really ready to have another manager, being away from home allows you to have some perspective and there''s all those foreign managers with thier dubious morals (sometimes political) to distract you.

On the other hand some people think its better to get back on the merry-go-round and realise you can''t go back, you''ll never find another manager like the last one and thier relationship with you was the best either of you were ever going to have and one day they will realise but as always its too late by then, another manager will come along who might be alble to measure up in some ways but it''ll never be the same you just have to get on with your life the best you can, you''ll always hurt a bit inside but managers are like that, you can''t live wthout them and sometimes they are so frustrating you just want to and sit in a dark room with some Ben & Jerry''s and cry.

[quote user="Robornio"]If we are going to replace him, then we seriously need to look at where we went wrong with this appointment. The key in my mind is not replacing Lambert with a manager of the same style and philosophy of the game. If anything, we should have adopted the Swansea method. Not in the way they play, but who they replace their managers with when one leaves. They look for someone with the same qualities and style as the previous (because the board has a philosophy of how the club should go about things and play). That way the players already there suit the style of play and the club continues to move forward with little disruption.

What did we do? Choose the complete polar opposite and, thus, our successful style of play and strategy changed completely. This affected several of our best players who found it hard to adapt or perform to their best attributes and has eventually lead to where we are now. Decide first where we want to go and how Norwich should play, then research who fits that philosophy.[/quote]^^this^^