Sign in to follow this  
catlineker

Holt / Hoolahan

The anti Hughton brigade often discount the 10 game unbeaten run as a blip and that the rest of his reign should be viewed as the norm.

To be honest i thought that spell was pretty lucky, we didnt in any games by more than a goal and even then we looked like, at best we would scrape points away from home but still that was hughtons best period as manager so to see any future for him you have to think that he can recreate what happened during it.

But Holt is gone and Hoolahan clearly doesnt majorly figure in his plans moving forward so the only period in which he has had any success whatsover(and take this run out and we would be in the championship already) the successful forward players have been removed.

Just a point to debate...if you want...or contiinue bickering ttfn

I don''t think Hoolahan is such a massive loss. Perhaps he could be rejuvenated under a new manager but I think his influence on matches has started to wane.

But we have really missed Holt. At the moment what RVW, Hooper and Elmander have offered in a Norwich shirt has not filled the gap left by Holt (even the lesser version of him that we had last season).

Yes, of course they could look better after more time to settle in but as far as this first part of the season has gone we have spent a lot to bring those players in and look weaker than we did with Holt. As things stand we have not improved upfront. Which obviously isn''t totally the fault of those guys either because clearly the tactics and approach from the manager do little to bring the best out of strikers.

To be fair, I don''t want to take anything away from the 10 game unbeaten run as Hughton has had his fair share of bad luck too but games like the Everton one when we were 2nd best throughout and then Bassong nicked a last minute equaliser and the Swansea game when we nearly threw it away (Michu''s disallowed goal at 3-2 after being 3-0 up).

It takes a lot of luck to go on runs like that and to get luck, you need to make your own by being positive. This is why we don''t seem to have had any this year.

Playing the diamond hoolahan every day of the week for me, but 4411 he gets lost and isolates the striker even more than they are. I''d rather see Howson in that role he''s starting to show in our formation how good he really is.

I''m happy with RvW and hooper. Both had slight fitness issues and it does take a while to adjust. I always like to remember drogbas first season at Chelsea and he was shocking, turned out to be one of the best in the world. Holt still would have a part to play in our squad but he did want to leave in the end.

Not a bad shout, especially with Tettey being injured, perhaps Fer is needed further back as otherwise there''s only Bradley Johnson who just isn''t up to it.