Sign in to follow this  
morty

Ch-ch-ch-changes.

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]The first goal will be crucial, so I''d go with RvW up front and Elmander behind him, Pilks and Snods outside and Fer and Howson in CM. The defence staying the same.[/quote]Interesting.I wouldn''t be unhappy with that.

Carroll has now gone down with a stomach virus, he''s having a rough old time.[:D]

It''s a really tough one to call, I wouldn''t want to drop to a 2 man midfield as West Ham will look to pack that area and control the game (also I can see Carrow Road turning pretty hostile very quickly). But I also don''t really want Johnson to play as he has looked awful in every game so far this season, apart from Southampton at home were he was average.

The only options I can think of are tying Fer to a more defensive role and playing Howson and Hoolahan in the centre - but given Hoolahan''s indiffernt form that doesn''t seem great. Or playing Elmander and Howson in the centre, Howson slightly more restrained. But it isn''t like Elmander has been tearing up trees also. What might work best is Fer defensive with Johnson and Howson in the centre, it seems counter intuitive at first, but releasing Johnson from the holding role, where he lacks the discipline to perform, could help him.

If West Ham pull out their 4-6-0 then whoever is playing in the holding role is going to have to be on the top of their game. West Ham have been very blunt of late and will be looking to put that right on Saturday - the pressue building on Allardyce could work well into Norwich''s hands, if they can be a little patient at the beginning of the game - however with a crowd baying for blood and attacking football it will be tough to hold that nerve.

In some ways I would actually rather Wet Spam play with a striker, rather than turn up with a packed midfield.And now I find myself wondering if Hoolahan behind RVW could pick his way through said midfield.I think I need a lie down.

Andy Carroll will defiantly not be back this weekend he isn''t even close to fitness for our game, the first game they were hoping him to be back was their upcoming Chelsea game towards the end of the month

Ricardo Vaz Te is also out for sure

So they have big problems in the strikeing area, so a loss to west ham would be made worse because of there lack of strikers

[quote user="morty"]In some ways I would actually rather Wet Spam play with a striker, rather than turn up with a packed midfield.

And now I find myself wondering if Hoolahan behind RVW could pick his way through said midfield.

I think I need a lie down.
[/quote]

I''m trying to remember how that worked against Everton but all I can remember is that both goals came from Whittaker. I''ve thought more than once that Wes could well be the key to unlocking the goals from RVW, his movement is so clever and Wes has the ability to pick that pass. The 2nd half against Cardiff in particular I thought was crying out for that little bit of magic that only Wes has.

I''d drop Bassong and play Martin at CH.

Play RVW up front if he is fully fit with Redmond given a free role to play in behind him.

Olssen and Whitaker at full back, Olssen instructed to make full use of his ability to overlap,get past his man and pull back great balls from the bye line.

Mid field of Snoddy, Pilks, Fer and Howson.

All of course irrelevant if they walk on to the pitch and don''t believe they can win!

How about bringing Bennet into defence and Bassong as the holding player.

He has played that role before.

Might wake him up a bit!

[quote user="The Butler"]

Might wake him up a bit!

[/quote]Can you imagine the howls of "negative Hughton" if he essentially played 5 defenders though?

We have now got to the stage of where ''more of the same'' could well lose the manager his job and make it difficult for us to get clear of the bottom.

He must now, by necessity, take a different approach.

I cannot believe we have spent over £13M on two strikers but do not have the intention of playing them both and, as such, I feel we will see a different formation this week. It is time for us to get he opposition worrying about us, not us worrying about them.

Make no mistake this is a very important game for West Ham too. If we beat them we will overtake them and could put them in a relegation spot.

Yes ............ Ch-ch-ch-changes!

[quote user="morty"][quote user="The Butler"]

Might wake him up a bit!

[/quote]

Can you imagine the howls of "negative Hughton" if he essentially played 5 defenders though?
[/quote]

Do you want to see the Leeds three playing together again on Saturday?

Two out of three is ok (Snoddy and Howson) add slide rule passer Brad to that and it''s DIV 1 again.

I am sure that if it released Woolfie AND Hooper to play then the crowd MIGHT just forgive[;)]

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="morty"][quote user="The Butler"]

Might wake him up a bit!

[/quote]Can you imagine the howls of "negative Hughton" if he essentially played 5 defenders though?[/quote]

Do you want to see the Leeds three playing together again on Saturday?

Two out of three is ok (Snoddy and Howson) add slide rule passer Brad to that and it''s DIV 1 again.

I am sure that if it released Woolfie AND Hooper to play then the crowd MIGHT just forgive[;)]

[/quote]No I don''t, and I''m not rubbishing your idea, just pointing out it would provide the usual suspects with an easy stick.

It''s not so much as to who plays but more towards how we play. Press the ball when we ain''t got it and pass the ball with more accuracy and quicker when we have it. 

If Hughton reverts to type he will be more concerned about keeping a clean sheet so expect Elmander up front on his own; Snoddy and Pilks wide and Howson expected to break forward.

It''s got 0-0 and fire written all over it but to be fair a side like WHam under Allardyce like an opposing team to commit so Hughton has to decide how to press the play.

Would I go for it in his position and risk losing or play it tight? I would rather lose going for it than be over-cautious and still lose so would play Elmander with RVW off him, play the wingers with their crossing foot on the outside, demanding early, early balls fired in and Fer alongside Howson.

Ryan Bennet would get a start, Bassong would start on the bench and Russ would be captain.

Just read on twitter that someone has seen someone of the opinion that David Fox should replace Leroy Fer on Saturday.[:D]

The starting line up could have an impact on the atmosphere Saturday, start with one striker and the crown are likely to be just as negative. Starting with a more attacking line up could give a boost to the crowd.

Oh dear oh dear oh dear. The cries of ''play Elmander (who is TERRIBLE as a player in the hole) off RvW'' are nearly as hilarious as the ''play RvW up top with Hooper/off Elmander'' bleaters.

RvW and Hooper wouldn''t work with 4 in midfield, as it would completely negate Pilks and Snodgrass/Redmond who would be forced to play narrow and get torn apart by any decent centre mid running between the lines. That rules 4-4-2 out.

If we play 4-3-1-2 the problem that then arises is who plays in the hole....Howson could work, but the midfield three would need to be narrow...we don''t have three fit central midfielders of PL standard (Those who advocate Fox and even Redmond?! in centre mid....seek help) or we''d get torn apart again down the flanks where our full backs would receive no cover, no doubling up....it would be a cricket score

And finally, the idea that we would entirely waste RvW''s greatest asset (his ability to play off the shoulder of the last man) by playing him BEHIND Elmander? Hahahaha....just no, I''m not Hughton''s biggest fan but I''m behind him for now- and god forbid anyone who advocated this to be our manager.

So here''s what we do. We play the 4-3-3 hybrid of the 4-5-1 that saw us beat Stoke and put Cardiff to the sword in all but score. We take Bradley Johnson as a stand in for Tettey on the chin (because Jonno''s role is one such that he does not need to be creative, just to win the ball and release it) - provided he does that - which is my only worry (how much he gets dribbled) we play the usual 4-3-3 with the wide men (hopefully Snoddy and Pilks) level with RvW, Fer and Jonno sitting with Howson and Fer alternately making runs through the middle- and I''m damn sure we''ll beat Big Sam''s lot.

This is a good question, and when you then start to think about it you get an idea of just how hard it is to pick the right side. I would be tempted to go with just one or two changes and other than accomodating the absence of Tettey (who had certainly been playing his best football since joining) get the side back to the personnel and shape pre Man Citeh. I dont think CH actually has that many choices that will make a difference either, certainly against West Ham who from what I have seen are particularly strong in midfield. So, if fit, Snodgrass has to start regardless of if he is not on top form, his energy and work ethic are crucial, plus he was looking like he was getting his game back......and unfortunately Hooper really has disappointed to date (I thought he would be a big plus for us) so RVW another player who was showing improvement should step back in if fit. 

Players I certainly wouldnt drop are Pilkington who is a class act when he has his game face on and, whilst having to give it a lot of thought, I would also not drop Bassong despite him not being upto his best right now.

This will undoubtedly be a tough and tight game and one I am sure we ALL want City to win.............