Sign in to follow this  
pilksfanclub

The Chris Hughton Tactical Conundrum

I don''t understand what Hughton is trying to do. We sit deep but do not counter when we win the ball back. We try to play down the wings despite us having RvW up front who isn''t known for his aerial prowess yet we still try to work the ball down the flanks and end up putting low percentage crosses into the box. We have a midfield who aren''t suited to tight spaces but are very dynamic and capable of carrying the ball well. So why don''t we ever go on the counter attack? I don''t believe we have scored a single goal on the counter under Hughton.

His strategy doesn''t seem to make sense. I don''t really know how he intends to attack teams or score goals as his defensive plan and attacking one seem to be juxtaposed to one another.

For the record I am willing to give Hughton the next few games before jumping into the out camp

I agree with everything you have said, I''ve also noticed all these points it''s baffling. He seems so desperate to keep a clean sheet that our attacking play is more often or not fruitless. I''ve never understood the way we play down the flanks but reluctant to get bodies in the box. He needs to sh!t or bust on sat.