Sign in to follow this  
morty

Blimey, positive article for a change!

morty wrote the following post at 06/11/2013 2:13 PM:

the bristol nest wrote:

It''s neither inaccurate nor gushing. It is a point of view that I held until recently but have had challenged by the nature of our recent defeat and our dreadful goal record which are not really addressed in the article. I wonder whether the author is using his inside knoweledge to accurately predict the possible outcome. It makes him look wise and the board get their message out.

You can''t accurately predict a possible outcome, but I take your point.

But if we take the knee jerking emotion out of it all, its probably the common sense course of action to take.

Unless we lose on Saturday....

Hi Morty, on a few threads I think you have indicated the "unless we lose on Saturday" opinion which I fully respect. I just don''t understand where your coming from, if the players show they are still playing for the manager, put in a good shift, and we lose because of a poor refs decision or a stroke of bad luck, are you really saying that your support for Mr Hughton will be lost? Not having a go just interested?

We discussed this very matter on at least 2 threads yesterday TFIY, and I agree that, on the face of it, it does appear to smack of a "one game shoot out" .

Clearly, for the Hughton Inners this stance is going to appear bizarre, and no doubt for a few others too.

But my take on this is that there really has to be a line drawn in the sand over this. The time for "jam tomorrow" shilly shallying is over . It''s points we need , ...and NOW. I am in no doubt that, irrespective of the performance, if we do lose to WHU, then the atmosphere will turn very ugly indeed, and we''ll have 2 weeks of poison circulating about till the Newcastle game, plus another till C Palace. Completely unacceptable in my eyes.

I''m sure there will be others who think differently, but that is my view, anyway.

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]morty wrote the following post at 06/11/2013 2:13 PM:

the bristol nest wrote:

It''s neither inaccurate nor gushing. It is a point of view that I held until recently but have had challenged by the nature of our recent defeat and our dreadful goal record which are not really addressed in the article. I wonder whether the author is using his inside knoweledge to accurately predict the possible outcome. It makes him look wise and the board get their message out.

You can''t accurately predict a possible outcome, but I take your point.

But if we take the knee jerking emotion out of it all, its probably the common sense course of action to take.

Unless we lose on Saturday....

Hi Morty, on a few threads I think you have indicated the "unless we lose on Saturday" opinion which I fully respect. I just don''t understand where your coming from, if the players show they are still playing for the manager, put in a good shift, and we lose because of a poor refs decision or a stroke of bad luck, are you really saying that your support for Mr Hughton will be lost? Not having a go just interested?[/quote]No you make a fair point, my line would more accurately be "If the players capitulate, showing me that they have lost confidence in the manager and his tactics"I haven''t decided what to think if they play well, but lose[;)]

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]We discussed this very matter on at least 2 threads yesterday TFIY, and I agree that, on the face of it, it does appear to smack of a "one game shoot out" .

Clearly, for the Hughton Inners this stance is going to appear bizarre, and no doubt for a few others too.

But my take on this is that there really has to be a line drawn in the sand over this. The time for "jam tomorrow" shilly shallying is over . It''s points we need , ...and NOW. I am in no doubt that, irrespective of the performance, if we do lose to WHU, then the atmosphere will turn very ugly indeed, and we''ll have 2 weeks of poison circulating about till the Newcastle game, plus another till C Palace. Completely unacceptable in my eyes.

I''m sure there will be others who think differently, but that is my view, anyway.[/quote]The game will be an indicator of many things. The players confidence in the manager, the managers performance re tactics and substitutions, whether or not the players have the gut for the fight, whether or not we were just unlucky to come across a rampant Man City, and most of all, if we can win a game at home that I think we are perfectly capable (on paper) of winning.As much as I would still love the scenario of Hughton turning this around, I recognise that if we don''t see something positive on Saturday, then its slipping away from him.

Well, we will see, Morty. In fact the only part of your posting that I am at variance with you is in the verb tense in your last few words.

In my eyes, it has been" slipping away from him" over the last few weeks.

If we lose on Sat, then my view is that it will "have slipped away from him" .

Of course the way of avoiding this is to have a great performance and a good win. Sadly, I don''t see it happening, but I''d love to be proved wrong !

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Well, we will see, Morty. In fact the only part of your posting that I am at variance with you is in the verb tense in your last few words.

In my eyes, it has been" slipping away from him" over the last few weeks.

If we lose on Sat, then my view is that it will "have slipped away from him" .

Of course the way of avoiding this is to have a great performance and a good win. Sadly, I don''t see it happening, but I''d love to be proved wrong ![/quote]I would counter that point with the recent signs of improved performance, and that can we really look at Man Utd and Man City away as fair representations, or as games that really had we played to our full potential, we would likely have lost anyway?The performance on Saturday will confirm which it is for me.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Hull, Villa, Cardiff. ????

For every "positive" experience, I''ll quote you a negative one.

His grasp has been slipping with every point unneccessarily chucked away.[/quote]We have all debated it to death, and it won''t win us any points.I remain wanting him in, if he can sort it out, but I accept that in this results based business time is against him. And if I see players heads going down on Saturday, then that will mean they have lost confidence, and unfortunately the change will be needed.Taking away the two Manchester games, it has still looked to me, up until now that the players are playing for the manager.

Reggie Strayshun wrote the following post at 06/11/2013 4:48 PM:

We discussed this very matter on at least 2 threads yesterday TFIY, and I agree that, on the face of it, it does appear to smack of a "one game shoot out" .

I''m sure there will be others who think differently, but that is my view, anyway.

Reggie, I suppose what you are talking about is the difference between being a fan, with all the fantastic emotion that goes with that, and actually being someone in the hot seat who has the authority to make a decision and has to take responsibility for that.

A poisonous atmosphere as you describe it is bad news but it''s not an uncommon thing around football clubs.It happens from time to time, some people like Wiz will do everything within their power to exploit it, most people will moan, but if results turn to our favour will accept things.

There is a big decision to be made around the costs and benefits of sacking the manager and bringing in someone new who in honesty, we will have no real idea about. It''s a really tough call, a short term poisonous atmosphere is bad news but should not in my view be the deciding factor when the board consider what to do next.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Nigel , there have been several threads over the course of the last couple of weeks where people have been invited to suggest names who could replace CH if he was fired.

Dozens of names have been mentioned, Martin O''Neill, Ian Holloway, Malky, Pulis, Chris Coleman to name but 5. Plus many names from the continent who many of us have never even heard of.

But the one consistent strand running through was the same old members poo-pooing every one, as and when their names were mentioned. A frequent observation is that (and I paraphrase) "they will be no improvement over CH, and will probably be worse" .

And no, it''s not just happened on here either. There were at least 6 callers on Canary Call after the Cardiff game who were saying much the same. The same view has been expressed in the EDP too.[/quote]

OK Reggie, I see now. When you said we''d never replace him with anyone better I took it to mean these people thought we couldn''t get anyone better than we have now.

[quote user="Graham Paddons Beard"]

We get 7 points from the next three matches, CH keeps his job, we are mid table , I''m doing cartwheels.

That is what I want to see.

[/quote]Gets my vote[Y]

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]Spot on GPB[/quote]

''Peace in our time'' eh?

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Nigel , there have been several threads over the course of the last couple of weeks where people have been invited to suggest names who could replace CH if he was fired. Dozens of names have been mentioned, Martin O''Neill, Ian Holloway, Malky, Pulis, Chris Coleman to name but 5. Plus many names from the continent who many of us have never even heard of. But the one consistent strand running through was the same old members poo-pooing every one, as and when their names were mentioned. A frequent observation is that (and I paraphrase) "they will be no improvement over CH, and will probably be worse" . And no, it''s not just happened on here either. There were at least 6 callers on Canary Call after the Cardiff game who were saying much the same. The same view has been expressed in the EDP too.[/quote]

Well if the names mentioned are no better than O''Neill, Holloway, Malky, Pulis, Coleman then I''ll continue to poo-poo them as not being an improvement over CH.

The only potential for a better manager IMO is someone from abroad which is a massive gamble - I certainly can''t judge any of the people mentioned as I don''t follow their leagues.

First Wizard wrote the following post at 06/11/2013 6:47 PM:

thefutureisyellow wrote:

Spot on GPB

''Peace in our time'' eh?

Do you want warfare at our club then Wiz? Why would that be?

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]First Wizard wrote the following post at 06/11/2013 6:47 PM: thefutureisyellow wrote: Spot on GPB ''Peace in our time'' eh? Do you want warfare at our club then Wiz? Why would that be?[/quote]

No, I just meant, and I''m sorry to say this, that I see you as a ''happy clapper'' fan who''s content to see a failing manager remain at the helm of our great club.

[quote user="morty"]Waaaaaaaaaah I want attention, so I''ll troll a bit with some name calling.
[/quote]

Did my owl fly to you?[;)]

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="morty"]Waaaaaaaaaah I want attention, so I''ll troll a bit with some name calling.[/quote]

Did my owl fly to you?[;)]

[/quote]You''re not a real wizard, just a silly old man.[;)]

That''s a matter of opinion Wiz but if that''s what we''re into then I would see you as a self indulgent tw@t who only posts on this board when times are tough and takes pleasure in seeing division amongst the fans.

You never post anything when things are going well which can only lead me to believe that you have a more sinister motivation.

That is right isn''t it?

Sorry to say that Wiz but you know I''m right!

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]That''s a matter of opinion Wiz but if that''s what we''re into then I would see you as a self indulgent tw@t who only posts on this board when times are tough and takes pleasure in seeing division amongst the fans. You never post anything when things are going well which can only lead me to believe that you have a more sinister motivation. That is right isn''t it? Sorry to say that Wiz but you know I''m right![/quote]

You''re totally wrong, I''ve been posting, good and bad, on here since 2003.

I just don''t trawl up my old posts, I leave that to others, and they''re very careful to avoid my good positive stuff.

He writes a lot of sense in that article and I would really like to agree with him, he may as yet be proved right. But the problem I have is it''s going to take a massive swing in ability and tactics from what I have seen since December to make that happen. I would love us to take 7 points from the next 3 fixtures and really kick start our season, but I just don''t believe that is going to happen. Hope he proves me wrong though.

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]That''s a matter of opinion Wiz but if that''s what we''re into then I would see you as a self indulgent tw@t who only posts on this board when times are tough and takes pleasure in seeing division amongst the fans. You never post anything when things are going well which can only lead me to believe that you have a more sinister motivation. That is right isn''t it? Sorry to say that Wiz but you know I''m right![/quote]

You''re totally wrong, I''ve been posting, good and bad, on here since 2003.

I just don''t trawl up my old posts, I leave that to others, and they''re very careful to avoid my good positive stuff.

[/quote]Good positive stuff?Sorry but a bit of wee just came out then lol.

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]But you joined in 2013 Wiz? Do you have another account where you post the positive things?[/quote]

LOL...........this is my 2nd registration as my orignial registration logins got all messed up.

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]But you joined in 2013 Wiz? Do you have another account where you post the positive things?[/quote]

LOL...........this is my 2nd registration as my orignial registration logins got all messed up.

[/quote]

*Left in a flounce.