Sign in to follow this  
The Engineer

Free agents - summer 2014

Loads of top class players'' contracts are expiring next year - here''s a few:

Bacary Sagna, Vidic, JT, Kaboul, Heitinga, Fernando, Pirlo, Carrick, Alonso, Cambiasso, Rosicky, Matuidi, Menez, Manuel Fernandez, Ola Toivonen, Tom Ince, Eto''o.

Let''s say we have a transfer budget of £40,000,000, give each player £100,000 p/w which works out at £5.2M per year means we can sign 7 of these guys - of which my 7 signings would be Carrick, Alonso, Pirlo, Vidic, JT, Menez, Toivonen.

With that we could then line up as:

Ruddy

Martin Vidic JT Olsson

Pirlo Carrick Alonso

Menez Toivonen

RVW/SuperduperGaryHooper

Who would be your signings and then team?

ince''s contract is up ?

surely the sensible option would be to offer them 5 mill in january before he walks to liverpool or spurs on a free in the summer ?

will be one of those players that getting sold on for silly money in 2 or 3 seasons

taking into account eto is probably not 32, as a lot of african footballers arent overly honest about their age, by the time hes available hes likely to be about 44, and want 150,000 a week after tax

Alonso is rumored to already have an mls move lined up as Liverpool were reported to want him back.

Also having seen how hard it''s been to settle in the players we signed last season, I wouldn''t be looking at 7 players from that list (I''m sure you''re just going pie in the sky and don''t mean to be a miseryguts)

Carrick, Toivonen and Tom Ince would be mine.

We can only really dream of these player if we are still Premiership next season. Considering that we can sign pre contract agreements in January it''s even more important the club decides the future of Hughton and our form improves as I doubt many would be attracted to sign for a bottom 3 club.

Players under 24 don''t get to leave on a ''free'' if their club has offered a deal at least as good as the one they are on.

So Tom Ince would require a tribunal and compensation.

As for the post as a whole, well I think you are being ridiculously optimistic - particularly about our Premier League status. But also about the willingness of some of these top players to come and sign for Norwich when they could quite easily go and play for most Champions League teams or go and become a designated MLS player.

Frank Lampard is also out of contract, perhaps he would be a more realistic Martin Peters type signing.