Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Anyone else not looking forward to games as much anymore

Several long standing fans were talking today one going back to the 1950s and me to the early 1990s and we all agreed we are not looking forward to games that much anymore. We go because we always have and will regardless of which division we are in but the football and associated atmosphere is so bland and uninspiring. We have had some highpoints during the Hughton era in particular the Arsenal and Man Utd games last season, but few of them. I am not a Hughton outer either i just want him to succeeded but play more adventuroud attacking football

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Several long standing fans were talking today one going back to the 1950s and me to the early 1990s and we all agreed we are not looking forward to games that much anymore. We go because we always have and will regardless of which division we are in but the football and associated atmosphere is so bland and uninspiring. We have had some highpoints during the Hughton era in particular the Arsenal and Man Utd games last season, but few of them. I am not a Hughton outer either i just want him to succeeded but play more adventuroud attacking football[/quote]I see what you''re saying but unfortunately thats the Premiership. We are going to have to settle for grinding out every point, and maybe not always being pleasing on the eye.Maybe once the attacking players we have bought start to tick it may improve, who knows?

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Several long standing fans were talking today one going back to the 1950s and me to the early 1990s and we all agreed we are not looking forward to games that much anymore. We go because we always have and will regardless of which division we are in but the football and associated atmosphere is so bland and uninspiring. We have had some highpoints during the Hughton era in particular the Arsenal and Man Utd games last season, but few of them. I am not a Hughton outer either i just want him to succeeded but play more adventuroud attacking football[/quote]None of this should be a surprise. Getting to the Prem was always going to be the exciting part of the ride so I can understand that many are now feeling the anti climax. This league is hard and will always be a struggle for mid ranking teams like us. Only about half a dozen teams are ever going to be in a position to challenge for the title or even Champions League spots. That means the rest of us, barring the arrival of a friendly billionaire, are never going to be financially sound enough to do anything other than fight to keep our heads above water.I know it''s not what people want to hear but that''s about the long and short of it.

Obviously its very different for me sitting at home or in a bar waiting for the match to start and not having parked a mile from the ground and having that long walk towards Carrow Road with that special match day feeling you get when things are bussing or you are expecting a win, and yes, I can certainly understand the feeling being different when things are not going right, and trust me over the years I have experienced that strange mixed feeling myself.  

But, Ricardo nails it for me, its going to be a tough fight at this level for a club like ours right now................I just try and not keep comparing us with what other clubs have achieved and look back on what our club has achieved, it does help to keep you in a positive frame of mind. I am convinced that despite everything if the Management and team can hold their nerve we will start seeing some improvement in the style of performance, it was beginning to happen and the players are good enough to pick it up again OTBC   

Personal choice.

I agree with the previous analogies of the football. Add to that sky high prices, fixture changes, international breaks and multi-millionaire foreign players just passing through and it isn''t a particularly savoury mix.

If I was loving the football I would cope with missing 4 to 5 games through vacations but I am not and I can''t abide Hughton style football so I passed up my season ticket and despite my passion for the Club feel no motivation to go to games.

I guess that if I was a true fan I would be giving the club my money but unlike in the past, they don''t really need it and worse! they know they don''t. On top of the football NCFC has become remote from its fans, almost aloof.

I''m pleased for everyone who still loves it and goes but I think they are a very many who only go because they have bought the ST and have to justify the cost.

I agree that it really can be a struggle, the worst season for me was 2005 though, there is nothing worse than turning up every week to watch a team you know is hopelessly out of there depth.

We have a far better squad than we have ever had before I think the biggest disappointment for me is not getting hammered by the top six its making such heavy work taking it to the rest of the teams meaning there is no light between the shade.

Keeping it tight and hoping for a breakaway is fine for the top teams but apart from not having a plan B Hughton has no idea of how to overcome a team happy to play the same way.

I have been going since the 70s but I think this may be the most frustrating times I can remember.

Of course I remember great and truly shocking teams, some that performed as far more than the sum of its parts. I cannot remember feeling we had a squad with this level of potential wasted.

Typical good sense Ricardo.

Given that your assessment is seen as a rational evaluation by most, what context does this place the management issue in?

Any change in Manager is unlikely to change the parameters of your point. The painful truth is it will make little difference for the foreseeable future, though upheaval, bitterness and (destructive) feelings of unfulfilled expectation may certainly drag us into a relegation.

My own view is that Hughton is methodical, directed by his long career as a fullback, but ultimately capable of regularly keeping us up in pragmatic fashion for a prolonged period.

That many in the instant-answer social media throes are Unsatisfied with this does not surprise me, I don''t even particularly criticise it. These mediums allow for cyclones iof opinion to feed on energy and grow faster and more furiously than ever before.

Staying up last season unexpectedly, with a rather surprising/impressive 11th place finish, spending £30m, buying Dutch Internationals et al is not deemed enough. Playing excellent teams every week (we have played 8 of the top 10) is quickly a chore, because you don''t / can''t win every week..or even very often at all.

Like most other teams in the prem.

How bad do we have it really?

In the context of a week, it''s disastrous. In the context if a decade we are in an extraordinary, undreamed of position.

No matter what our form, position or the atmosphere around the club, nothing beats the feeling of going to a game. It may be strange but I enjoy these tough times as much as the good. I want to go and see the players react, to prove the doubters wrong. It was satisfying seeing out the 1-7 Colchester game to the bitter end and seeing the reaction in the following weeks.

I''m not a Hughton outer however agree results need to start now or time will be up. I''ve enjoyed the way we''ve played at home in the last couple of games and am still continually optimistic (though it''s waning) that our away form will be more consistently positive.

From growing up not being able to attend many games for financial reasons to now being lucky enough to have a season ticket, I just simply love the day out, watching the game whether it''s good or bad and having some ''analysis'' of the game later with a mate. Can''t beat a Saturday afternoon.

[quote user="Curious Orange"]No matter what our form, position or the atmosphere around the club, nothing beats the feeling of going to a game. It may be strange but I enjoy these tough times as much as the good. I want to go and see the players react, to prove the doubters wrong. It was satisfying seeing out the 1-7 Colchester game to the bitter end and seeing the reaction in the following weeks.

I''m not a Hughton outer however agree results need to start now or time will be up. I''ve enjoyed the way we''ve played at home in the last couple of games and am still continually optimistic (though it''s waning) that our away form will be more consistently positive.

From growing up not being able to attend many games for financial reasons to now being lucky enough to have a season ticket, I just simply love the day out, watching the game whether it''s good or bad and having some ''analysis'' of the game later with a mate. Can''t beat a Saturday afternoon.[/quote]Very much agree with this. Daft ar$e times with mates at away games especially, make it about more than just the 90 minutes.

I''m dreading it. I have to drag my self out when I could stay in the warm watching tv. Trudge my weary way to the ground. Forced to chat with all the people I know when I get there. Sit there yawning for 90 minutes without making a sound bored to tears! Then, as if that''s not enough, I have to drag myself to the pub to meet and chat with even more friends. But at least I can eventually go home and watch it all again on MOTD.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I''m dreading it. I have to drag my self out when I could stay in the warm watching tv. Trudge my weary way to the ground. Forced to chat with all the people I know when I get there. Sit there yawning for 90 minutes without making a sound bored to tears! Then, as if that''s not enough, I have to drag myself to the pub to meet and chat with even more friends. But at least I can eventually go home and watch it all again on MOTD.

[/quote]Yes, it''s an unexciting old life being an NCFC supporter, but just when you think its all getting a bit boring something will come along to upset the applecart. We''ve had more than a few management crises, a total of fourteen promotion/relegation seasons, cup runs, trips to Wembley, open top bus rides, stands burning down, new stands built and we''ve nearly gone out of business on a couple of occasions.I sometimes wonder how I stand the boredom of it all.[;)]

I don''t think I''ve ever looked forward to Norwich games. As long as there is a possibility to lose (which there always is) I can''t really enjoy myself. It''s only after the final whistle is gone and we''ve got a result (regardless of win/loss/draw) that I can relax.

I still look forward to games because its an unknown, it could be a great day, or a disaster. Tommorow could be a wild celebration, or boo''s and anger.

...and its a good day out, a pint or two, a burger, meet up with people you know, and a post match chuckle listening to Canary Call....what else would you do on a rainy November day?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Nutty - Why don''t you stay at home in the warm, invite, say Wiz round, and watch it on the wireless?

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]I agree that it really can be a struggle, the worst season for me was 2005 though, there is nothing worse than turning up every week to watch a team you know is hopelessly out of there depth.

We have a far better squad than we have ever had before I think the biggest disappointment for me is not getting hammered by the top six its making such heavy work taking it to the rest of the teams meaning there is no light between the shade.

Keeping it tight and hoping for a breakaway is fine for the top teams but apart from not having a plan B Hughton has no idea of how to overcome a team happy to play the same way.

I have been going since the 70s but I think this may be the most frustrating times I can remember.

Of course I remember great and truly shocking teams, some that performed as far more than the sum of its parts. I cannot remember feeling we had a squad with this level of potential wasted.[/quote]This sums it up perfectly for me and Mrs J.

[quote user="crabbycanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Nutty - Why don''t you stay at home in the warm, invite, say Wiz round, and watch it on the wireless?[/quote]

Actually... thinking about it... it''s not that bad really[;)]

This is an uplifting thread. We have strongly held views particularly about Hoots but what else would I do on a Saturday afternoon.

Come hell or high water I must get down to The Carra to have a damn good moan, advise the ref of my feelings and yell ''yah boo sucks'' to the away fans. Then depending on result, walk back to the station with head held high or chin on chest. I would also love a beer but I''m tee total.

I''ll have your beer for you Bury!

For better or for worse we will all be there!

[quote user=crabbycanary][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote] Nutty - Why don''t you stay at home in the warm, invite, say Wiz round, and watch it on the wireless?[/quote]

That doesn''t make much sense because the Wizard can''t hear. I suppose the benefit for Nutty could be that as he passes notes to Wizard on the progression of the game he could use his rattle to signify a Norwich goal ( whether one was scored or not ), thereby keeping Wizard unhappy at  the happy state of affairs. [;)]

There is nothing, nothing like the feeling of walking down to Carrow Rd on a match day with the sense of anticipation at what may happen.   Even if I can only get to a few home matches each season,  walking towards the ground where everyone is heading the same way, the crowd getting bigger and bigger as you get close to the stadium, the excitement is there every time, whatever the match.  As an exile, I savour that pre-match feeling and try to enjoy every second of it.   People that go every week may take it a little for granted, I don''t know, but for me that pre-match anticipation, which has been with me since childhood when my Dad used to take me, parking in City Road, down the alleyways and towards Carrow Bridge, has something of the magic about it.  Its timeless.  You can''t buy that sort of thing - its in the blood and the system completely and utterly.  

You can laugh and take the pee out of us "plastics" and exiles who can''t go every week, but we are just as keen about the club and its well being as any of you - but if you do go every week, you should be very grateful that you have that ability and should try to enjoy it - because it is magic.   Its football and once you have that in the system you never lose it.   You may get a little frustrated at some of the games, but at the end of the day you are Norwich supporters and should never forget that.   Hughton and the team are up against incredibly rich football clubs - they are going to struggle in some matches and have to fight for points. 

Not bothered about going to matches?   Give up going then.   It will leave more space for those that really want to go.

Depends on the match. I''m really looking forward to the offering on Sunday with Spurs v Newcastle, Man City v Sunderland and Man U v Arsenal all on back to back it''s going to be a great day of arse-numbing entertainment. As for Norwich v West Ham...meh.

I, as a season ticket holder will do the 220 mile trip to see them play, but if they serve up a load of tripe, then Hughton should go. He is the man in charge, and he should take responsibility.

Nope not me.  I am really looking forward to the game tomorrow.  It''s probably our most important game of the season so far, so what is not to look forward to?[:^)]

O[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

So not many fans of irony on this forum then Nutty!

This is a great thread!! Just about the only thing I miss back home is match day, it is very special and was such a big part of my like before I became an ex-pat. To make sure I get to Carrow Road or an away match at least once, twice or whatever number of times a season I manipulate the dates for our trip home, or a business trip to try and ensure I get to a game and then break my neck to get a ticket. For me a trip home just wouldnt be the same without getting down to Carrow Road on a match day, I love it, really love it!!   

I just wonder what people are comparing the current period to. The 3 years starting when we were in L1 were exhilarating. Last season was a mix of tedious games and some outstanding wins against top teams.

If you go back to the late 90s we had season after season of mid table dross in the 2nd tier, in fact aside from one playoff season and the Worthy season in the Prem that continued until we went down to L1. We''d have swapped positions for where City are today in a shot. It just goes to show there''s no pleasing some folk.

Spot on Ricardo.  Even being an exile, matchday is a full day for my me.  Up at 0600 (0300 today) and just enjoy the day, even being 1000''s of km to the south west.  We always come home to catch a couple of matches each year, and we miss Norwich so much that we''re moving back in 2014.  My wife thinks it''s just to be closer to family, but it''s really because of my love for City [;)]

[quote user="crabbycanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote] Nutty - Why don''t you stay at home in the warm, invite, say Wiz round, and watch it on the wireless?[/quote]

No point, not with the quality streaming I get.[IMG]http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Tongue/making-fun-054.GIF[/IMG]

I can also remember how hard it was in 2005 when hopes were dashed week after week. The strength of the squad does make this year different. I enjoyed the Chelsea and Arsenal games because City showed they can play against the big teams. Two away games in Manchester were always going to be tough, and so it proved. Today will be the test, as this is a winnable game. Will the players bounce back and show what they can do (as they did against Southampton and Stoke)? That''s the fascination for me! OTBC!