Sign in to follow this  
BOO

Why are there so few black managers

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/football-is-as-meritocratic-as-any-industry-in-britain-so-why-are-there-so-few-black-managers-assistant-managers-and-coaches-8930213.html

(Sorry can''t post link properly with ipad)

Interesting article which really flags up the under representation of black managers and team captains in the PL and FL

Shame they seem to overlooked Bassong as our team captain considering the representation is so low. The RM situation probably confuses issues.

Makes us pretty unique as a club with both a black manager and captain.

Well done NCFC.

When talking about black captains they refer to UK born in the article so I guess that''s why Seb was not included.

I think in 20 years there will be a lot more, there are still more white people in UK than black so law of averages suggest that there will be less. But things will change.

Football is big business so if there was a black manager good enough they would be in the job right now, no one is picked on colour in this big money game, its the best for the job.

Plus to be a manager, you usually have a decent 20-25 year playing career behind you, black guys only really started playing about 30 years ago, so we''re only just starting to see the black managers now.

The best comparison to make is to compare how many black players there were in the early 90''s to how many black managers there are today.

Discarding the extremes at both ends of the age range:

Player age = 18-38

Manager age = 38-68

The average player is 28, the average manager is 53. Theres your 25 years.

Heres one for you, how many black managers are there over 53 years old? That''s it, barely any, because there''s not many black guys older than 53 involved in football. I really don''t get all these groups kicking up a fuss about it. Give it 20 years and there will be plenty of black managers

I always thought Dion would make a good boss

As money is so important in today''s game I doubt if any owner will worry about the colour of a player or manager.

The only thing they will worry about is quality and results.

I don''t see how the skin colour of a manager makes any difference to anything. Surely the question is why has someone gone out of their way to count the number of black managers in the game?I always wonder why when there are incidents of racism Chris Hughton is the only premier league manager quoted by media outlets. Would the other 19 managers not be able to provide a well thought out balanced opinion on these matters as well? Why single him out for special treatment in these situations?I don''t see the race issue being resolved until they get to a point where people treat each manager as an individual in their own right with their own merits and don''t try to put them into individual groups.

[quote user="Vanwink"]why-are-there-so-few-black-managers-assistant-managers-and-coaches[/quote]You don''t see many black Father Christmas''s either. Nor gay ones come to think of it. [:O]

I wonder some peoples agendas when they write these articles and trot out stats to make points.As far as I am aware there is no barrier to black people becoming coaches and managers, so why try and make it into an issue?We then end up where people will go out of their way to try and make sure there are more black managers and coaches, and frankly, to what end? So we can all pat ourselves on the back at how PC and multicultural we are? As already said, the colour of your skin doesn''t matter, its all about your ability.

[quote user="morty"]I wonder some peoples agendas when they write these articles and trot out stats to make points.As far as I am aware there is no barrier to black people becoming coaches and managers, so why try and make it into an issue?We then end up where people will go out of their way to try and make sure there are more black managers and coaches, and frankly, to what end? So we can all pat ourselves on the back at how PC and multicultural we are? As already said, the colour of your skin doesn''t matter, its all about your ability.[/quote]
Quite, I find it humorous they use a picture of Hughton.  When in fact he''s mixed race.  Which in my mind it makes it all BS as much as it boils down to what somebody looks like.

[quote user="John from the Tomorrow People"][quote user="morty"]I wonder some peoples agendas when they write these articles and trot out stats to make points.As far as I am aware there is no barrier to black people becoming coaches and managers, so why try and make it into an issue?We then end up where people will go out of their way to try and make sure there are more black managers and coaches, and frankly, to what end? So we can all pat ourselves on the back at how PC and multicultural we are? As already said, the colour of your skin doesn''t matter, its all about your ability.[/quote]
Quite, I find it humorous they use a picture of Hughton.  When in fact he''s mixed race.  Which in my mind it makes it all BS as much as it boils down to what somebody looks like.
[/quote]What you could actually end up with is black managers getting preferential treatment over white managers, just to boost some kind of numbers.And that is all kinds of wrong.I saw a similar thing happen in the armed forces, they specifically went out of their way to recruit ethnic minorities just to make stats look better. Which is essentially racism in reverse.

[quote user="John from the Tomorrow People"]Why are honkies s**t at sprinting? 
Why are black people s**t at swimming?
It''s just how it is I guess.
[/quote]Bone density.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="John from the Tomorrow People"][quote user="morty"]I wonder some peoples agendas when they write these articles and trot out stats to make points.As far as I am aware there is no barrier to black people becoming coaches and managers, so why try and make it into an issue?We then end up where people will go out of their way to try and make sure there are more black managers and coaches, and frankly, to what end? So we can all pat ourselves on the back at how PC and multicultural we are? As already said, the colour of your skin doesn''t matter, its all about your ability.[/quote]
[/quote]What you could actually end up with is black managers getting preferential treatment over white managers, just to boost some kind of numbers.And that is all kinds of wrong.I saw a similar thing happen in the armed forces, they specifically went out of their way to recruit ethnic minorities just to make stats look better. Which is essentially racism in reverse.[/quote]
It''s just how things are, until things naturally evolve.  If things are forced there''s always the danger of making things worse.

[quote user="John from the Tomorrow People"][quote user="morty"][quote user="John from the Tomorrow People"][quote user="morty"]I wonder some peoples agendas when they write these articles and trot out stats to make points.As far as I am aware there is no barrier to black people becoming coaches and managers, so why try and make it into an issue?We then end up where people will go out of their way to try and make sure there are more black managers and coaches, and frankly, to what end? So we can all pat ourselves on the back at how PC and multicultural we are? As already said, the colour of your skin doesn''t matter, its all about your ability.[/quote]
[/quote]What you could actually end up with is black managers getting preferential treatment over white managers, just to boost some kind of numbers.And that is all kinds of wrong.I saw a similar thing happen in the armed forces, they specifically went out of their way to recruit ethnic minorities just to make stats look better. Which is essentially racism in reverse.[/quote]
It''s just how things are, until things naturally evolve.  If things are forced there''s always the danger of making things worse.
[/quote]Like I say, I find the attitude odd, its like some people need to pat themselves on the back and tell everyone "Hey, look at how racist I''m not"

JG hit the nail on the head. Why is there this paternalistic attitude towards blacks but not other groups? Where are all the female managers? Who''s wringing their hands over that? Plenty of national team managers in the Caribbean and sub-Saharan Africa are white.

Oh my god, they''re doing it to themselves! How can we teach them the errors of their ways?!?!

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Vanwink"]why-are-there-so-few-black-managers-assistant-managers-and-coaches[/quote]

You don''t see many black Father Christmas''s either. Nor gay ones come to think of it. [:O]
[/quote]

We really don''t know what''s going on under all those stuffed pillows Lapp.

I have no idea of the answer, but I can suggest one or two reasons:

Until relatively recently black players were in a minority of players, so there were relatively few of them retiring each year. This could change in the near future as their proportion in squads and teams has mounted.

It is necessary to acquire coaching certificates, and while black players may have been able to afford to attend courses, for some the attraction of study and learning was not great. Some preferred to play on or change to other sports, or merely leave sport altogether. Some became TV football pundits, rather than managers.