Sign in to follow this  
Mr Brownstone

Elmander Interview on SSN

Anyone see his interview?

Seen some comments on Twitter saying that Elmander stated that there were some "clear the air" talks prior to the Man City game.

If true then that''s a bit of a worry so early in the season. It would also appear it didn''t do much good either.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Anyone see his interview?

Seen some comments on Twitter saying that Elmander stated that there were some "clear the air" talks prior to the Man City game.

If true then that''s a bit of a worry so early in the season. It would also appear it didn''t do much good either.[/quote]Yeah I saw it, good stuff from Nolan and Friedel too.Why is it a worry, would you rather hear they were ignoring issues?We were always going to lose the Man City game regardless.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]We were always going to lose it, but not in that manner.

It''s a worry because it implies all is not well in the dressing room.[/quote]I agree, but going two or three down away from home against a quality side like that, its always a risk, obviously current confidence played a part.I personally wouldn''t make too much of this, of course the players are going to be unhappy, I''m sure they don''t like the results and league position any more than we do. It depends how you paint it in your imagination I guess, either a constructive, gloves off exchange of information, or a roomfull of angry players shouting at each other.I''m sure people will fall into two distinct groups on this[;)]

Depends which way you want to spin it. It could imply that all is not well, it could imply that the players respect each other enough to have a frank and honest chat after a disappointing result because they care.

But no, it didn''t appear to have a positive impact on the result at Manchester City.

I''m not trying to spin it anyway, I just find the fact that we''ve got a division big enough to warrant clear the air talks after 9 games a worry, whether that be a division between groups of players, between the players and the management team or somewhere else. It could go someway to explaining the 2 pathetic performances we saw the week before last after we seemed to be on the verge of clicking.

We''re in a tough spot and we need everyone from boardroom, to manager, to players, to supporters pulling in the same direction.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]I''m not trying to spin it anyway, I just find the fact that we''ve got a division big enough to warrant clear the air talks after 9 games a worry, whether that be a division between groups of players, between the players and the management team or somewhere else. It could go someway to explaining the 2 pathetic performances we saw the week before last after we seemed to be on the verge of clicking.

We''re in a tough spot and we need everyone from boardroom, to manager, to players, to supporters pulling in the same direction.[/quote]And the best way to make that happen is a meeting to talk about it!The board aren''t stupid, if I was McNally I would be talking to the senior players and getting a feel for the perceived issues, perhaps it was him that called the meeting, who knows?

You are spinning it, just like I did the other way. Neither of us have any real idea what the talks were about, whether they were heated, or whether it was just an exchange of views between professionals.

I also don''t see it as a big deal, I''d fully expect Mourinho and the Chelsea squad to have had some "clear the air" chat after they got rolled over by Newcastle.

When I played (at a low, low, low level) it was fairly routine that following a crap performance there''d be a bit of an inquest and a chat about how we sort it out. Even players as bad as me don''t like losing, if it''s your job I bet it really sticks in the craw.

*Waits for someone (Hmmmm, I wonder who?) to imply that the dressing room is imploding!

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]The point is these talks supposedly took place BEFORE the City game.[/quote]I think it depends if you view the City game as part of a downward spiral, or just a spanking by a better team, we move on.

Prior to that (Cup game where we had many changes and conceded 2 in the last 2 minutes aside) was there not a general concencous that things were moving in the opposite direction though Morty? Good win at Stoke, unlucky losses against Chelsea and Arsenal and then the frustrating Cardiff display where we dominated 11 men for the first time in ages.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Prior to that (Cup game where we had many changes and conceded 2 in the last 2 minutes aside) was there not a general concencous that things were moving in the opposite direction though Morty? Good win at Stoke, unlucky losses against Chelsea and Arsenal and then the frustrating Cardiff display where we dominated 11 men for the first time in ages.[/quote]Yes it did appear to be moving in the right direction, which points more to the meeting being a few things that needed saying, as opposed to "crisis talks"Like I said, I would be more worried if they weren''t talking about things. And with the lack of goals, it wouldn''t surprise me if the forward players had a word or two to say.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Hopefully it''s just that and whatever instigated these talks wasn''t a contributing factor in that City performance last week.[/quote]You perhaps saying that the forwards moaned, and we went there too positive, and paid the price for it?

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Nah just that the way we rolled over isn''t typical of us and I''m still struggling to put my finger on what caused it.[/quote]Did you see what Man City did to CSKA Moscow? All said, they are a fantastic team in great form.Combination of things for me, a few players missing, maybe a few not quite fit, and probably most of all, the players knew fine well the chances of us getting anything there were very, very slim.Were the early goals justified or a bit lucky? I honestly don''t know as I haven''t bothered watching them.

Mr Brownstone wrote the following post at 08/11/2013 8:01 PM:

........... It could go someway to explaining the 2 pathetic performances we saw the week before last after we seemed to be on the verge of clicking.........

----------------------------------------------

ManU was the game after we lost Tettey, & I''m afraid BJ looked a very inadequate replacement.

we then lost Snodgrass & Redmond for the ManC game.

I don''t think our squad is deep enough to lose the number of players we have missing currently.

Add to that players like Bassong not having their best game maybe, and also Man City wanting a bit of revenge for last season?

BJ certainly doesn''t look up to speed at the moment, it''s hard to argue otherwise, we''re certainly missing Tettey. I asked this on another thread about West Ham line ups, do you think Whittaker could do a job there if Johnson doesn''t find his form?

I agree about the possibility of playing Whittaker there, Mr B. It''s a real problem position for us; he would probably offer more flair than Tettey, but I''m not sure he has the necessary discipline for 90 minutes. I think discipline is one of Tettey''s strengths - I''ve said elsewhere he reminds me of an angry wasp guarding the entrance to the nest, seldom venturing far out of area or trying anything spectacular, but excellent at protecting the defence, winning the ball back & quietly getting us under way again.

heres hoping the players told clueless chris hes a chump and chris said ''follow my tactics for the man city game, if we lose we do it your way against west ham, if you then win that ill quit cause i will clearly have been proven to be an absolute pleb"

@Morty: The biggest problem in any team is when confidence starts to slide. There is a point where that lack in confidence leads the players to look for it from their manager, if they don''t feel he is doing anything to boost the team they could lose confidence in him. That is the worse case scenario and spells the end for most if not all managers.

I am not saying that has happened but ''clear the air talks'' prior to a game suggests that there is a degree of discomfort in there.

As for Man City - I don''t think you can defend that game. Not the result - but the manner in which we failed to close, failed to hold a good defensive shape and the way we lost fight so quickly.

Last season when we played them at Carrow Road we fought hard even though we went behind, we scored 3 goals past them.

In comparison we looked a long way short of performances like that. And I find that worrying considering we all agree we have an improved squad.

[quote user="chicken"]@Morty: The biggest problem in any team is when confidence starts to slide. There is a point where that lack in confidence leads the players to look for it from their manager, if they don''t feel he is doing anything to boost the team they could lose confidence in him. That is the worse case scenario and spells the end for most if not all managers.

I am not saying that has happened but ''clear the air talks'' prior to a game suggests that there is a degree of discomfort in there.

As for Man City - I don''t think you can defend that game. Not the result - but the manner in which we failed to close, failed to hold a good defensive shape and the way we lost fight so quickly.

Last season when we played them at Carrow Road we fought hard even though we went behind, we scored 3 goals past them.

In comparison we looked a long way short of performances like that. And I find that worrying considering we all agree we have an improved squad.[/quote]Whilst I see what you''re saying, apart from the Man City result, I haven''t seen any evidence that the players aren''t playing for the manager any more, or have lost confidence. I can''t actually comment any further as didn''t watch the game, and once I saw the result, had no desire to watch any highlights. But whilst I want Hughton to stay, I completely recognise that if the players have lost confidence in him, he has to go now.I can easily imagine the forward players being disgruntled at not scoring enough goals and wanting things to change, but its part of our evolution for me from Lamberts style of play to Hughtons. Build from the back as opposed to "You score three and we''ll score four"For me, considering injuries to a few players, and the improved performances before (I''m not counting the cup game) I am willing to see Man City as a blip, an anomaly, for the minute. Tomorrow will prove me right or wrong.

What spin can be put on "clear the air talks" followed by the worst result of the year, to be generous!

There must be positives in there surely?

I don''t disagree with that Morty.

But you have to admit ''clear the air talks'' is not going to be about what colour sock tape they should be wearing. The fact it was prior to the game as well is an indicator.

Especially as when you point out that the performances have been there in recent games.

A loss to West Ham may prove some right. But a win still wouldn''t make me entirely happy. Football is a results driven game, and a game about cohesion and team effectiveness and confidence.

At the moment we don''t have a run of results, we don''t appear to have much confidence and I actually think the Cardiff game was possibly where it was shot to pieces.

Despite the stats being overwhelmingly on our side we failed to capitalise on it. I imagine the players were really up for that game and a positive result would have given them a lift for Man City. A draw probably hit them like a loss.

We need a good two or three decent results now or we''ll be in the sticky stuff.

We need a good two or three decent results now or we''ll be in the sticky stuff.

Really?

[quote user="chicken"]I don''t disagree with that Morty.

But you have to admit ''clear the air talks'' is not going to be about what colour sock tape they should be wearing. The fact it was prior to the game as well is an indicator.

Especially as when you point out that the performances have been there in recent games.

A loss to West Ham may prove some right. But a win still wouldn''t make me entirely happy. Football is a results driven game, and a game about cohesion and team effectiveness and confidence.

At the moment we don''t have a run of results, we don''t appear to have much confidence and I actually think the Cardiff game was possibly where it was shot to pieces.

Despite the stats being overwhelmingly on our side we failed to capitalise on it. I imagine the players were really up for that game and a positive result would have given them a lift for Man City. A draw probably hit them like a loss.

We need a good two or three decent results now or we''ll be in the sticky stuff.[/quote]Yeah, I think the Cardiff game probably made a few of the players think, "Actually, hang on a minute, what IS exactly wrong here"Agree on your loss / win point, one win isn''t going to make everything okay.