Sign in to follow this  
CambridgeCanary

Martin Peters 70 Today

West Ham are making a big deal of this and we seem to have missed it.

The greatest player I''ve ever seen in our shirt. He came as a fading star but was renewed with us. It was only watching live that you could appreciate just how skillful and intelligent he was. He could score, pass and tackle but he made other players better with his promoting and positional sense. Like all truly great players he always had more time and seemed to know where the ball would be two moves ahead.

His leadership and ability cemented the promoted team as a First a Division side. In many respects he made the modern City by enduring promotion and then keeping us up.

He always resented that it was Moore, Hurst AND Peters. At least to City fans it was just Peters.

Happy birthday Sir. It was a pleasure watching you

Did a nice little tribute to him at spurs when we were there last season,

A magician!

You younger posters will never ever know what you missed. One of our all time greats and a player who deserves the title of a living legend.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

You younger posters will never ever know what you missed. One of our all time greats and a player who deserves the title of a living legend.

[/quote]

He must have been flippin good because he was nearly of pensionable age when he came to us!

He had a long career, 22 years and played an unbelievable number of games.  The bloke must have hardly ever been injured!

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]

He must have been flippin good because he was nearly of pensionable age when he came to us!

He had a long career, 22 years and played an unbelievable number of games.  The bloke must have hardly ever been injured!

[/quote] They never used to take a month or two off for a sore toe in those days .

As a young lad I had the pleasure of meeting him when he was on holiday with his family at Hopton-on-Sea, not that long after he was part of the World Cup winning side and he immediately became a big hero of mine then (Very different type of holiday to the players these days, plus he was driving a Ford Cortina 1600E that I think was gifted by Ford for being part of the World Cup side, not 100% sure on that fact though). So, when he joined our club (he was 31 so a few more years in him) it was amazing to see such a player in our team......and, after settling in he was absolute top class and definately, in my humble opinion, the best footballer ever to pull on the yellow and green jersey. My understanding is that he also played in his later career with very dodgy knees, something that would keep a player on the sidelines these days or restricted to occasional appearances.   

So, Many Happy returns to the great man, and it would be great if even a simple mention was made over the PA at the game today, particularly as he played for both sides (more games for City than he played for Spurs, something a lot of neutrals dont realise,plus he had his testimonial match with us which I would guess several on here attended).  

Martin Peters in that fantastic Admiral strip.

What a player! What a time at Norwich!

What a testimonial! England World Cup XI................unforgettable.

My best man, sadly taken as a young man, loved Martin Peters and I nearly cried, in fact I''m filling up writing this and remembering when I told Martin about him at his Norwich book signing and he got a bit emotional before signing my book and writing my old friend a dedication on the inside page. That closed a chapter for me.

I remember too seeing a great 2-2 draw at Derby with another favourite, Kevin Reeves scoring and our coach stopping at Grantham chip shop behind the team bus. There was Martin putting salt and vinegar on his cod and chips and Ken Brown taking money out of his wallet to give to one of the organisers for drinks at a pub stop.

Happy Birthday, Martin. May you have many, many more.