Sign in to follow this  
Kangaroo Court

Bassong out, 2 up front

[quote user="Kangaroo Court"]Good calls by Hughton. Ruddy; Martin (c), Turner, R Bennett, Olsson; Snodgrass, Howson, Fer, Pilkington; Elmander, Hooper[/quote]Yup, I like that.

I''m very happy to see Turner and Bennett together. Our best defensive performance this season came in the only game that they have started together. Bassong is just not fit, he shouldn''t return until he is.

But I don''t see "two up front" when I see that team on the screen, I see Elmander being played out of position again behind the lone striker where Hoolahan should be.

One of Hughton''s biggest errors was in not allowing Bennett to keep his place and provide opposition for Bassong. If Bennett plays well today I hope he reverts to merit rather than favouritism thereafter.

[quote user="Le Juge"]I''m very happy to see Turner and Bennett together. Our best defensive performance this season came in the only game that they have started together. Bassong is just not fit, he shouldn''t return until he is.

But I don''t see "two up front" when I see that team on the screen, I see Elmander being played out of position again behind the lone striker where Hoolahan should be.[/quote]How can you make that assumption about Elmander before you even see the players on the pitch?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Kangaroo Court"]Good calls by Hughton. Ruddy; Martin (c), Turner, R Bennett, Olsson; Snodgrass, Howson, Fer, Pilkington; Elmander, Hooper[/quote]Yup, I like that.[/quote]

The danger is that team will get overrun in midfield, which seems to be West Ham''s strongest area. Fer may find he is in for a busy time.

Agree completely Rudolph Hucker.

Bennett and Turner were excellent against Stoke, there was no justification at all for dropping Bennett after that game.

Bassong when fit and on form is our best centre back and important to our team as he can play the ball out of defence. When not fit he shouldn''t be playing. Bennett is good enough.

I personally don''t think the manager could have picked a better team, from who is available and fit.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Kangaroo Court"]Good calls by Hughton. Ruddy; Martin (c), Turner, R Bennett, Olsson; Snodgrass, Howson, Fer, Pilkington; Elmander, Hooper[/quote]Yup, I like that.[/quote]

The danger is that team will get overrun in midfield, which seems to be West Ham''s strongest area. Fer may find he is in for a busy time.

[/quote]Yeah, he needs a big game today, they all do.

Doesnt look like two up to me either, elmander will be asked to do what he''s not been very good at so far....is becchio on the bench?

[quote user="wcorkcanary"]Doesnt look like two up to me either, elmander will be asked to do what he''s not been very good at so far....is becchio on the bench?[/quote]Why take a negative opinion before the players have even taken to the pitch?

Actually Morty that was my point exactly, how can the OP see that team and make the assumption that we are playing two strikers?

My perception, hence "I see", is that Elmander is going to play where he usually plays for us.... in his ineffective behind the strikers role, where Hoolahan should be.

Do you think he is playing 4-4-2? Against West Ham? Who play 4-5-1? I don''t.

[quote user="Le Juge"]Actually Morty that was my point exactly, how can the OP see that team and make the assumption that we are playing two strikers?

My perception, hence "I see", is that Elmander is going to play where he usually plays for us.... in his ineffective behind the strikers role, where Hoolahan should be.

Do you think he is playing 4-4-2? Against West Ham? Who play 4-5-1? I don''t.[/quote]I guess we''ll see soon.Personally I''d rather take a positive view of the team he has picked, rather than try and pick holes.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]Yeah, he needs a big game today, they all do.[/quote]

Morty, perhaps most of all Elmander. That team has the look a of a last throw of the dice gamble by Hughton, and really needs Elmander (whether he is playing up front or behind) to have a much better game than he has had so far. If he comes off, that team could work. If he continues to look like a player for whom this is a season too far then...

Other than the fact that we are probably going to be playing a lumbering mediocre #9 out of position again in the spot where I''d rather see Pilkington, Snodgrass or Redmond being given a go through the middle..... I am looking forward to seeing Howson and Fer in the middle together and Bennett and Turner at the back together.

I''d give the team selection an 8/10, we have a chance.

Nice starting 11, but will theybe given license to take the game to WH and make some sharp crosses before the 18 yard box gets jammed up with defenders? I sure hope so.

4-4-2 is certainly attacking, and with both Snodgrass and Pilks in the four man midfield, rather than the inexperienced Redmond, we may just be able to contain the WHU big midfield. IU think that the defence is about as strong as we could expect, given form.

It''s going to be a struggle, but fingers crossed....