Sign in to follow this  
Ali Bunkall

Darren Kenton

Now i know this is a controversial point but with regards to strengthening our squad, could we do worse than to look towards Darren Kenton. He has only played 3 times for the Saints and those were as a sub. Obviously pro''s and con''s to this.

PRO''S: Great right back, good for us, was with Norwich since Youth team so passion for us is there, limited premiership experience but good experience training at a premiership club.

CON''S: left for a reason...could there be hard feelings amongst other players? Is it bad to look back rather than forwards?

If not buying him back, then getting Kenton on loan to strengthen our defence for the remainder of the campaign could be good. He has only appeared 3 times for Southampton and as a sub. Everyone wants 1st team experience.

No !

He chose to walk on out of us by refusing a new contract. He knew that by refusing a new contract it would allow a massive saving on any transfer fee.

How much of that was divied out to him and his agent is conjecture but was isn''t is that he did the dirty on us. (the club that took him on as a youth and brought him through as a proffessional).

If he is now rotting away in the reserves then remember he is still being paid a premiership wage. That is what he left for so let him sit there and count his money - and perhaps contemplate his actions.

I say don''t look back. He wanted to go, he got his move, he will have to cope with being a sub at Saints.

Fair enough...thought this would be the general reaction and i do agree. the only thing is that depending on how others in the club feel about him, taking players like this back can work. e.g. Frannie Jeffers going back to Everton, and the possiblity of Paul Robinson moving from leeds but staying on loan there. surely this example is even worse. Robinson is safeguarding his future yet still playing for a club he effectivly betrayed, yet is a class keeper who will benefit leeds.

Can''t see how Paul Robinson can in any sense be linked to Darren Kenton.

Kenton made a conscous decision to WALK OUT ON US - not allow himself to be transfered. Francis Jeffers was transfered. How can you not see the difference ?

It is imperative that playerslike this are marginalised. It would also set a dangerous precedent whereby any player can s**t on a club and then walk back into the team when it doesn''t work out.

Would he be willing if he was now successful at Southampton ?

I think not.

I think Kenton would be an asset to us as a central defender. He left to get Premiership football which could do with Norwich next season.
He is still young and has his best few years ahead of him. Robert Fleck was older and past his prime when he returned to Norwich.

Kenton did NOT leave to get Premiership football.

He refused to sign a new contract knowing that it would cost the club, who developed him, their fair dues.

He could easily have signed then moved on as did Scott Parker.

What football needs is a bit more solidarity. Fans standing up to greed, agents and the money men.

If you think that Kenton would be welcome back after what he did you are sadly mistaken and, I venture to say, part of the problem that is currently wrecking the game.

Alan, Robert Fleck probably isn''t a good example. He hardly set the world on fire when he came back to Norwich.
Much as we loved him, he didn''t do the business for us second time around.
However, in his defence, if I remember correctly that was during the dark period in the mid 90s when we had Big Rob Newman playing up front for most of the season.

Wasn''t Fleck signed to try to pacify the faithfull some time after Chase had auctioned Sutton off to the highest bidder?
But that was in the days of the fat controller.
Things are different now and while I can understand Kentons desire to get a payday (your career really can end tomorrow) he did dump on the club that made him.

Heres hoping we stuff the Saints next season with Kenton in the heart of their defence!

On the ball
Herb

Why are we constantly looking backwards, we have some great young players coming through - Shackell, Sinclair, etc. What is the point in taking the likes of Kenton on a 3 month loan, for us to get to the Prem (hopefully) and have to send them back to their clubs and then throw untested (Shackell) or old (Malky) in against the like of Henry, van Nistelrooy et al.

I think we have to look to the youth team structure we have in place, and supplement this with quality proven players that will be with us for 2-3 years or more, should we get promoted.

I cannot see that bringing in players for a few months only for them to leave and for us to be in no better a position than when they joined. PLayers need games to become confident, and respected, and by asking them to play their hearts out for a club, only to bring in a player that did not want to be with us at the end of last season can only breed resentment and negativity.

I say put the young uns in early, and give them the experience against the kind of strikers that that are likely to face week in week out in the Premiership. If we do not make it this year, at least they will be ready for the push next year.

I mentioned Robert Fleck as a shining example as why NOT to come back to a football club! He was utterly utterly dire in his second spell!!

I agree that we need a player like Darren Kenton. I would absolutely and resolutely refuse to support any move for Kenton himself. The above posts have summed it all up- the guy refused to sign a contract to get himeself a nice juicy signing on fee and higher wages at at time when this club was in dire need of any additional finance it could get. With the £1million or so we might have got for him we could have used for further team strengthening, even bought Kevin Harper. Or it might fund a corner infill on the new stand. Like Any Marshall before him I regard him as having betrayed this club and I for one do not want to see him back.

I agree Flecky wasn''t the best re-buy ever, bless he''s cotton socks, still a legend, not only because didn''t we sign him for 500k then flog him for 2.1m then buy him back for a fee that still meant that we had made a profit on all of he''s transfers?

As for Kenton, let him rot and be sitting on the subs bench next year should we play Southampton. Then we can laugh ridicule and generally make him wish he''d stayed at Norwich

Much as I admired Kenton as a player, he and Marshall did crap on the Club by denying us much needed transfer fees...I have no problem with players moving on, but there is a "right" way to do it.