Sign in to follow this  
mrs miggins

why do people hate calderwood and trollope?

a lot of people seem to be hating on these two more than hughton himself, why? Surely its the management as a whole that you would not be happy about. Just wondered if its anything other than guessing?

They obviously are seen to be the reason for the tactics and formation of the team, which is not looking successful. If that is the case, Hughton must refresh his coaching staff if he wants to continue with his management career (here or elsewhere). As stated on previous threads, it seems ridiculous to take the same team every time if it hasn''t brought success.

It''s like matching a £500 suit with a £25 pair of shoes, they are a glaring mismatch in a multi million pound setup.

As stated elsewhere, neither have much of a track record, both seem to possess the technical sense of a Red Setter, QED Hull away.

when we are ''backs to the wall'' at one of the Top Six I''d like to think there was a bit more going on than referring to an iPad for a cunning plan leaving the manager looking a rather lonely individual.

Just no, both of them are completely inadequate for the level we are supposed to be playing at.

I think in these days of management "teams", you tend to share the glory together, but must be prepared to take the brickbats together. Hughton appears to be the only public face of this setup (have YOU ever heard a pronouncement by Calderwood or Trollope on any subject ?), and he, for all his faults seems an articulate, affable guy. So I suppose C+T have got a bad press through our current plight, but do not have the nice pubilc persona to offset that.

canary forever wrote the following post at 2013-11-06 11:15 AM:

I have met calderwood he is an obnoxious @@@@

Grant Holt would agree with you fourfold!

In his last managerial post he won only 12 matches from 49 with a win ratio of 29%

He did better with Northampton town in the lower reaches and won promotion from league 2 - then appointed by Forest - was sacked Xmas 2008 having won only 4 games to that point. Never set them alight after appointment in 2006.

Trollope spent most of his career at Bristol rovers, as player, coach, caretaker manager, manager - sacked Dec 2010 with club in relegation zone of league 1.

Calderwood with Hughton at Newcastle and Went to Hibs when sacked, then Birmingham. Trollope went to Birmingham

In a July 2011 before coming here with the other two.

As coaches/managers they really have achieved very little specially in the higher leagues!

I suspect that the apparent dislike for the assistants of CH is two-fold:

• Their past records as would-be managers and the fact that they are not Culverhouse.
  • Either they are not giving good advice and support to C H, or he is ignoring them.

Both are failed Managers, and at a lower level than the Premiership, who became coaches when it became clear that no-one would employ them as Managers. I posted at the time they were appointed my nervousness at their ability to coach in the Premiership especially in the offensive section of the pitch as neither had the slightest attacking inclination when they played and I take absolutely no pleasure at having been proved right. It''s my one big black mark against DM. I know modern-day Managers bring ''teams'' with them but these two were never going to be able to match the club''s ambitions.   

So, given that unlike the rest of us, Hughton can choose his colleagues and is not lumbered with useless deadwood forced on him by his boss, why does he keep them?

I could be going out on a limb here especially as so many on this board have obviously seen Calderwood and Trollope working day in and day out judging by the knowledge and confidence that these posters brand them as useless. Maybe, just maybe, it is because they are good at their jobs. I don''t know. I have never seen them at work but Hughton does.

To suggest Hughton would keep useless staff when his own job on the line is ridiculous. If they were failing he would replace them.

Also ridiculous is this failed manager argument. it is a different job. I would have Peter Grant here as a coach in an instant. William Hague was a poor Party Leader. He is an excellent and effective Foreign Secretary. some people are not leaders but are excellent supporters. Some times you have to fail in the top job to realise that.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]a lot of people seem to be hating on these two more than hughton himself, why? Surely its the management as a whole that you would not be happy about. Just wondered if its anything other than guessing?[/quote]

Jeez............you have to ask?[:S]

I don''t think people actually hate them but more like question their ability and roles in the set up. It is their lack lustre performance on the touchline staring at an ipad. Nil rapport with fans and media also does them no favours and does not give any impression that they are part of "us".

And to add to what TIL has said, some of the problems on the pitch seem to be coaching type issues rather than managerial set-up or tactical issues (although there are plenty of those as well). For instance the players just don''t look as fit as those in other teams to me and seem only to be able to close down and harry for limited periods in a game. Witness Arsenal and Chelsea where we competed for 20 minutes or so and looked quite good, but couldn''t do that for an entire game. Plus the number of late goals we are now conceding. passing seems sloppy too and we don''t seem to be able to track runners from midfield very well.

Would it be acceptable to stick with Hughton but sack the other two and replace them with, say, Phelan and Adams, or is the whole team now irrereparably tainted. For me its the whole lot, so that wouldn''t be a credible option.

Calderwood and Trollope get the blame because they''re easy targets. They''re not Chris Hughton. Hughton is a really nice guy! Everyone in football likes Chrissy. Highly rated by any pundit you care to name ( except the much maligned Adrian Durham, who seemed to have his number from day one). And its rubbed off onto too many City fans. Rather than blame quiet Chris, pick on the pantomime villians stood next to him.

[quote user="crab"]

Calderwood and Trollope get the blame because they''re easy targets. They''re not Chris Hughton. Hughton is a really nice guy! Everyone in football likes Chrissy. Highly rated by any pundit you care to name ( except the much maligned Adrian Durham, who seemed to have his number from day one). And its rubbed off onto too many City fans. Rather than blame quiet Chris, pick on the pantomime villians stood next to him.

[/quote]

I blame all the 3 stooges.

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

It''s because they''re not Ian Culverhouse and Gary Carsa.

[/quote]

This^^^^

And hughton is no lambert.

Have these three gone yet!?!?

[quote user="alartz"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

It''s because they''re not Ian Culverhouse and Gary Carsa.

[/quote] This^^^^ And hughton is no lambert. Have these three gone yet!?!?[/quote]

Looking back now maybe we were too hasty in getting another long term manager, the break up with the other one (I still find it hard to say the name) was too traumatic and we rushed into another commitment. We should''ve met with and had fun with lots of other managers or maybe just go on a holiday with our friends (no managers) and wait until we were really ready to have another manager, being away from home allows you to have some perspective and there''s all those foreign managers with thier dubious morals (sometimes political) to distract you.

On the other hand some people think its better to get back on the merry-go-round and realise you can''t go back, you''ll never find another manager like the last one and thier relationship with you was the best either of you were ever going to have and one day they will realise but as always its too late by then, another manager will come along who might be alble to measure up in some ways but it''ll never be the same you just have to get on with your life the best you can, you''ll always hurt a bit inside but managers are like that, you can''t live wthout them and sometimes they are so frustrating you just want to and sit in a dark room with some Ben & Jerry''s and cry.

We essentially have three managers albeit calderwood and Trollope were lower league managers

In terms of the setup it is a relatively good one but we''ve had this discussion before on here, when things go wrong at NCFC the amount of mud that gets flung seems to be more than at other clubs

Some Norfolk people love a moan, it''s in our nature

How is it possible to hate these people when nobody on here as any clue about what abilities they have as coaches. Also, I cant remember any of Ferguson''s assistants at Manure having much of a face in public other than maybe once every couple of seasons when he had a cold or something, I know there is a huge difference between the clubs, but it just seems anyone is target at the moment and without any facts to back anything up.

What or who next?   

Very simply? People know nothing about them. Most coaching teams are very secretive as to what they work towards, they don''t even disclose who does what. It''s an unfortunate side effect of the secrecy many clubs place on their coaching, they view denying the opposition the opportunity to understand their styles over greater transparency. Calderwood and Trollope are part of a coaching staff that, rightly or wrongly, are derided for a variety of issues. Seeing as we don''t know who does what when it actually comes to a coaching standpoint, we make guesses and try to find someone to blame. Hughton is somewhat safer, he has a bigger media profile which can be used to defend him (he''s a nice guy etc. etc.) but Trollope and Calderwood, who rarely speak to media and perform unspecified roles? They''re easy targets.

As City 2nd alluded to, it could be perceived in some quarters that Calderwood arrived with a bit of ''baggage'' regarding Grant Holt and their time at Forest. Holt had scored goals for fun before Calderwood shifted him into a right winger, Holt lost form and goals and then went down to pastures new.Since Holty had been a phenomenal striker for us and then suddenly switched overnight since the new management team came in - drifting to the wings, looking peed off, trying to get himself sent off, *only* scoring 8 (which is beginning to look increasingly more impressive by the week!) - it''s probably one of those hindsight things where people are putting two and two together.

First Wizard wrote the following post at 06/11/2013 11:31 AM:

crab wrote:

I blame all the 3 stooges.

Do you ever come on here and post positive messages when things are going well Wiz, we have had a great few years and yet you didn''t seem to be around that much, now all of a sudden your like and outbreak of a very nasty contagious disease! Interested to know?

[quote user="Mello Yello"]Because all they bring to the table is pot noodles, without any hot water........[/quote]

Incidentally, I don''t actually hate them.......I just feel that the don''t cut the Colman''s Mustard at this level......

Dubai Mark wrote the following post at 2013-11-06 8:41 PM:

How is it possible to hate these people when nobody on here as any clue about what abilities they have as coaches. Also, I cant remember any of Ferguson''s assistants at Manure having much of a face in public other than maybe once every couple of seasons when he had a cold or something, I know there is a huge difference between the clubs, but it just seems anyone is target at the moment and without any facts to back anything up.

What or who next?

Sorry, but surely their abilities as coaches is as their statistics allude too - and in Calderwoods case he has been sacked twice, and Trollope once. Neither have fantastic credentials at all, that surely gives everyone a clue as to their ability. They are part of what is at this moment in time a poor set up in respect of NCFC, and results price that point, just as they have in respect of their past history, secondly, very often Mike Phelan was spokesperson to the media for Man Utd, and in fact did several interviews for MOTD after AF refused. They are INO cold hard facts!