Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

One game doesn't really change a lot

Started off pretty much where we left off last week - we almost made WH look better than ManCCould have easily been dead & buried at half time.Much better 2nd half & it was encouraging to see us at least having a go.However, are we supposed to forget all the crap that''s been served up for the last 10 months on the basis of a good 45 minutes and a 3-1 home win against a team that are, to be honest, not that good.Pleased for Hughton & the players  - it could be a turning point or it could just as easily be a one off.Big test now to prove it wasn''t a flash in the pan & follow it up with an extended run of similar performances & results.Something to build on, hope it works out but only time will tell.

Well it does change quite a lot..... it moves us from 18th to 15th after lots of people said "the table doesn''t lie", we came back from behind to win after somebody pointed out recently that we''ve only done so once under Hughton, we scored more goals than we have in any other game this year, our defenders remembered how to defend in the second half, we created chances which if had fallen to Van Wolfswinkel instead of Elmander probably would have resulted in goals, and if we look at the league table we can currently see the possibility that there are four or five teams (at least) who aren''t as good as us.

I think it changes a lot. In particular it changes the mindset of the fans from one in which we couldn''t imagine scoring goals or beating Newcastle or Palace, to one where we currently see it as a possibility. Most importantly it will change the mindset of the players from one where they don''t believe they can score goals, to one where they know that they can score goals if they perform like they did in the second half today.

It could change everything.

[quote user="Le Juge"]Well it does change quite a lot..... it moves us from 18th to 15th after lots of people said "the table doesn''t lie", we came back from behind to win after somebody pointed out recently that we''ve only done so once under Hughton, we scored more goals than we have in any other game this year, our defenders remembered how to defend in the second half, we created chances which if had fallen to Van Wolfswinkel instead of Elmander probably would have resulted in goals, and if we look at the league table we can currently see the possibility that there are four or five teams (at least) who aren''t as good as us.

I think it changes a lot. In particular it changes the mindset of the fans from one in which we couldn''t imagine scoring goals or beating Newcastle or Palace, to one where we currently see it as a possibility. Most importantly it will change the mindset of the players from one where they don''t believe they can score goals, to one where they know that they can score goals if they perform like they did in the second half today.

It could change everything.[/quote][Y]

nope, still the same dire tacticssitting off the opposition, allowing far too much time on the ball, remaining too static when we had possessionhoweverFer''s last minute goal summed what was noticable throughout the whole game ........... the players wanted to winand that kind of spirit was what hauled us off the bottom of L1 and into the PLstop the crap coaching and give the players a free reinand we''ll begin to climb the table

Totally agree Le Juge.

After last week I was concerned that he''d lost the dressing room, at half time I was certain of it.

And then that happened.

We were excellent 2nd half, Hughton made some changes to the system at half time and it really paid off. Credit to him. More heart, more desire and more fight, alright we got a bit of luck, but on the whole we were worth the points.

Enjoy it!

City1st wrote the following post at 09/11/2013 9:16 PM:

nope, still the same dire tactics

sitting off the opposition, allowing far too much time on the ball, remaining too static when we had possession

however

Fer''s last minute goal summed what was noticable throughout the whole game ........... the players wanted to win

and that kind of spirit was what hauled us off the bottom of L1 and into the PL

stop the crap coaching and give the players a free rein

and we''ll begin to climb the table

Fair point

You guys are hilarious! We just won 3-1 and all you can do is moan.

City1st - let''s just sack the manager and let the players manage themselves! They''re obviously doing a great job, just to spite CH. Duh. The only crap thing about tonight is your predictable post.

Well done CH. Well done the players.

Hilarious? You are not.

A good win at home does not make a great victory.I am very happy with this but did you enjoy the game until the last 20 minutes?

I hope that this is the start of our recovery.

I really can''t understand people who will only begrudgingly admit they are pleased their team has won a game.

[quote user="splutcho"]Can''t we all just enjoy this one tonight. It''s about time we had something to cheer.[/quote]

morty wrote the following post at 09/11/2013 9:44 PM:

I really can''t understand people who will only begrudgingly admit they are pleased their team has won.

As you are yet another self appointed number one fan you are of course not required to consider any analysis.

[quote user="the bristol nest"]morty wrote the following post at 09/11/2013 9:44 PM:

I really can''t understand people who will only begrudgingly admit they are pleased their team has won.

As you are yet another self appointed number one fan you are of course not required to consider any analysis.[/quote]Bless your little E-inferiority complex.[:)]

Actually it changes everything. A confidence boosting victory ahead of some distinctly winnable games has put a completely different perspective upon things.No doubt the usual suspects will be disappointed that their forecasts of impending doom are now on the back burner but I''m sure they''ll be back at the next set back.Its football, always up and down, get used to it, there''s plenty more to come.

[quote user="the bristol nest"]?[/quote]Where did I appoint myself as number one fan?If you feel you are less of a fan than me, then thats your issue fella.

morty wrote the following post at 09/11/2013 10:07 PM:

the bristol nest wrote:

?

Where did I appoint myself as number one fan?

If you feel you are less of a fan than me, then thats your issue fella.

I do not. I predate your nonsense.

[quote user="the bristol nest"]morty wrote the following post at 09/11/2013 10:07 PM:

the bristol nest wrote:

?

Where did I appoint myself as number one fan?

If you feel you are less of a fan than me, then thats your issue fella.

I do not. I predate your nonsense.[/quote]Tit.

That''s not fair. Big critic of our tactics, but as I spoke about to my fellow Bury fans on the way to the game today, a penalty scored against Villa, and one of our 30 odd shots goes in against Cardiff and we are in a better place. Tonight we find ourselves 3 pts better off, and as a few have said absolutely clear that the players are still up for it after that last Ferry goal .

I ''ll take that. Be miserable if you like. I remember losing to Bradford City in the Cup in 1976. Now that was miserable

PS We are Sh**ing your sister.........how funny was that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote user="the bristol nest"]Grow up.[/quote]Try it yourself?I make a perfectly valid point that I really don''t understand people who will only begrudgingly admit they are happy we won, and you start prattling on about some "number one fan" rubbish?

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Thought "You can stick your f**king bubbles up your a**e" was the real highlight![/quote]

Agreed Mr B. Two fine examples of Football humour at it''s best. And now, back to the bickering.... 

[quote user="City1st"]nope, still the same dire tacticssitting off the opposition, allowing far too much time on the ball, remaining too static when we had possessionhoweverFer''s last minute goal summed what was noticable throughout the whole game ........... the players wanted to winand that kind of spirit was what hauled us off the bottom of L1 and into the PLstop the crap coaching and give the players a free reinand we''ll begin to climb the table

[/quote]

I don''t think you can have a go at a person for saying what they''ve seen only the course of some months...we don''t consistently play with a brand of football that looks purposeful and effective, utilising the players we have. I''m not convinced by Hughton but think we have some great players, much improved from the first season in the premiership.

One thing you can criticise fans of is every win comes with OTT optimism and every loss takes it the other way. If we have a positive approach at Newcastle and take the game to them i''ll have a bit more belief in Hughton but realism suggests we will stand off again and put up no fight...which is not what we want to see long term is it?