Sign in to follow this  
unique

Gary Hooper

Offers so much more up front than RVW. Obviously helps having another body up front, but his link up play was seldom wasteful, and his work rate was excellent. Nice to see a penalty with the foot going through the ball instead of trying to pass it into the net and hoping the goalie guesses wrong.

Now ahead of RVW in the pecking order imo.

[quote user="unique"]Offers so much more up front than RVW. Obviously helps having another body up front, but his link up play was seldom wasteful, and his work rate was excellent. Nice to see a penalty with the foot going through the ball instead of trying to pass it into the net and hoping the goalie guesses wrong.

Now ahead of RVW in the pecking order imo.[/quote]

Think you''ll probably stir a few with the opinion that RVW and Hooper should be tried togther. Personally I think Hoopers game improved tonight when elmander improved. Think elmander on form is key to the success of both riccy and Hoops.

I''m not sure about Elmander either Mrs M. I think he''s been a bit average for us too, but then I reflect that this is a first choice Swedish internationalist...so surely can''t be too shabby?

I''m hoping he will come good...maybe it''s down to the service again.

Hooper had a good second half. The penalty clearly gave him a massive boost. But I can''t say he''s offered more than RVW. None of them have pulled up any trees.

[quote user="killiecanary"]I''m not sure about Elmander either Mrs M. I think he''s been a bit average for us too, but then I reflect that this is a first choice Swedish internationalist...so surely can''t be too shabby?

I''m hoping he will come good...maybe it''s down to the service again.[/quote]

Problem is he needs to be the service. Think he was good second half and put himself about. Definately made a difference. Plus and experienced pro which helps the squad. He was terrible first half though.

no its down to him being elmander.

Hughton knows what he''s going to get with elmander, and so does everyone else. The fact is, in his prime for bolton all those years ago, he was average, so what''s going to change in him. He does the job that he''s paid to do. You get what you pay for, he''s on loan and we needed an experienced target man.

We need a target man in our squad for when RVW and Hooper are not needed for injuries and he fits the bill, its fine

Was really hoping when Elmander came in we would be treated to the next Super Matty Svensson whose link up play and goals were fantastic. Time will tell. Hooper certainly puts himself about and hassles defenses, just needs someone to feed off.

Both the front two had their best games for Norwich so far tonight, whether that''s because we played two up top only time will tell. Elmander was a real battler and his touch looked miles better than of late too.

Elmander made a few token gesture efforts to make it look like he had been battling. I can''t say that was the performance of someone who really gave their all for Norwich City though.

I can''t believe this constant moaning about our strikers. Look - under Hoots no striker has blossomed. One total idiot in the upper barclay shouted at one point ''that''s about time Hooper'' midway through the first half because the poor bloke ran and made a tackle on the half way line. Of course it was the half way line ffs where the heck do you expect our strikers to be prowling? No? Well ask Calderwood and the clowns.

Fantastic squad, awful manager and coaches.

Elmander kept himself busy today, did a lot of hard work and was impressed with his effort.

He is never going to be a great player but he will do a job when called upon, also assisted Fer''s goal so his hustle and bustle wasn''t without any end product at all.

Still have to wonder whether Becchio could do the same job though, possibly with a greater goal threat.

A very good all round striker and goalscorer. Yes I know it was the COC but Hooper scored a terrific near post header and a confident one on one with the keeper and yesterday it was a great confident strike for the penalty. He will become a fans favourite of that I have no doubt.

The most interesting aspect of his performance was his ability to drop deep and link up play. I was surprised at how willing he was to drop deeper into a role you wouldn''t associate with someone who was previously known for his ability to play off the shoulder. He also attempted and completed a very high number of passes, for a stirker, attempting 29 and completing 76%. Whilst I''m not one of these 4-4-2 fanatics that seem to litter this board and British football in general, I must admit the possibility of a RVW/Hooper partnership intrigues me.