Sign in to follow this  
splutcho

Couple of points from yesterday

1. Hooper can take all our penalties, pretty sure it would have taken Jaaskelainen in with it if he''d have got in the way.

2. This is probably a silly moan really given that the eventual winner came from this moment, but if you look back to when Howson hits the bar, when Fer (I think) wins possession back we''re about 3 on 3 however rather than bust a gut to get into the box and give Howson an option and drag a defender away, he breaks into a jog and heads back towards the halfway line.

Now am I being pedantic or is this part of our problem, that even on the counter we have Howson trying to find just one man, forcing him to shoot from distance?

That said, luckily he hit a blinder and we all know what happened, it''s just had it sailed over it might be a point worth looking at.

Interesting

For the pen I hope Hooper knew Jaskeleinen always dives so thumping it down the middle was the percentage play. Obviously if he takes more pens it gets more tricky as goalkeepers will be aware of this one.

About Fer covering back when Howson was attacking, isn''t this essential with 442? Because you only have 2 in centre midfield it means when Howson goes fowrard Fer must cover back and vice versa. Whereas 451 gives them both licence to get into an attack.

Usually, yes you''d be right, but in this situation the chances of West Ham countering us would be very slim and at worst they''d end up with a goal kick or something. At times like that you need to take the risk or we end up totally toothless.

--- splutcho: Yes but we can''t rely on long range goals this season. Can you at least see where I''m coming from?

I can see exactly where you are coming from. In the end it is not about 4-4-2, 4-5-1, or even 4-6-0 it is about getting players forward and into the box when in possession of the ball. When West Ham scored they had five players in the penalty box and four around the 6 yard area.

Also in the first half it looked more like Fer and Howson were playing in defensive midfield. On the few occasions we got the ball forward they were nowhere to be seen.