Sign in to follow this  
can u sit down please

Papering over cracks

At times that was some of the worst football I have seen over the last few yrs.

Delighted we won but its like being in a shoddy marriage, you know it''s not working, you''ve had a nice day out and you are delaying parting with her because of the nice day.

Like I said, delighted we won but its papering over everything.

I expect to take a bashing but its how I feel.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]At times that was some of the worst football I have seen over the last few yrs.

Delighted we won but its like being in a shoddy marriage, you know it''s not working, you''ve had a nice day out and you are delaying parting with her because of the nice day.

Like I said, delighted we won but its papering over everything.

I expect to take a bashing but its how I feel.[/quote]

You will be bashed but I can''t be bothered to argue BECAUSE IM ENJOYING THE WIN, and hoping that that second half performance will take us forward for the rest of the season! And not be negative like you!

First half was dreadful, I reckon at half time either Hughton gave the talk of his life or McNally delivered some "Redknapp post" in brown envelopes to the away dressing room.

Second half we were sensational, let''s be fair. Passion and commitment all over the show.

Completely agree CUSDP.

Fantastic win and desperately needed three points. However there is no doubt that a bit a fortune and individual brilliance won the game, not managerial brilliance.

Look, all we can do is hope we can keep repeating the 2nd half performance.  And Hughton realises the players and fans are much happier when we have a good go.

agree it does paper over the cracksvery happy to get 3 goals and 3 pointsreally really really really really want to see nathan redmond start on the right wing, hes the best wide player at the club and the short time he was out on that side today he drifted past them like they werent there, hes not the same on the left.

if we lose at newcastle the pressure will be on again, he needs a very good run of results with positive performances to undo a lot of peoples feelings

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]

First half was dreadful, I reckon at half time either Hughton gave the talk of his life or McNally delivered some "Redknapp post" in brown envelopes to the away dressing room.

Second half we were sensational, let''s be fair. Passion and commitment all over the show.

[/quote]

Sensational is a bit over the top. We were a lot better second half but at times we still allowed them to play too much and failed to press. CUSDP I completely agree.

It probably is, but you never know we may see a lot more of that second half fight and determination, still don''t think the football was great but we got the 3 points which was vital. Newcastle away and Palace at home to come now, is it to much to hope for 4 points from those games and hopefully some decent play.

I believe you are right CUSDP. I loved the second half for 40 minutes and feel great right now. But I haven''t forgotten the months of cobwebs enveloping our team. I guess we can only wait to see if the Board acts despite the result. I don''t know what will happen but wouldn''t be surprised if they acted to release CH.....hardly anyone wants to see the performances we''ve had many times.

A watershed moment today though? 2 up front for the first time, men in the box second half and a result! Goodness me.

[quote user="Andrew Spanton"]Completely agree CUSDP.

Fantastic win and desperately needed three points. However there is no doubt that a bit a fortune and individual brilliance won the game, not managerial brilliance.[/quote]So when we do badly it''s Hughton''s fault.When we do well, it has nothing do with Hughton and the players decided to mutiny against him?

[quote user="JF"]It probably is, but you never know we may see a lot more of that second half fight and determination, still don''t think the football was great but we got the 3 points which was vital. Newcastle away and Palace at home to come now, is it to much to hope for 4 points from those games and hopefully some decent play.[/quote]

I think anything less will keep the pressure on Hughton.

Doesn''t change nothing in my eyes. Hughton out!!!!!

Conference side could have beaten a side without a striker.

First half the worst I''ve ever seen for a while.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Enjoy your negativity  guys.   We won 3-1 by the way.Overall, a good result, a good reaction from the players in the second half AND CREDIT TO HUGHTON TOO.

[/quote]

If you can''t see beyond the result then your clueless. Can you honestly just forget how poor the first half was? I''m delighted to win but we got a bit of luck today to get us going. Without that we''d have comfortably lost.

[quote user="iron_stan"]ldc thinks we played like 1970s brazil for 90 minutes[/quote]

A match lasts 90 minutes.   After 90 minutes we get three points and score three goals.   That''s good enough for me and should help boost the confidence for the next game.  

Against Chelsea and Arsenal I argued that we played well and were unfortunate.

Today I felt we were terrible ,,,,,, and very fortunate.

I can''t remember the last time I''ve seen Jussi Jääskeläinen drop such an easy take, and that led to the revival.

Redmond was very predictable and not very dangerous on the left but on the right he looked amazing. What on earth is he doing on the left?

It is no good playing two up font if we play so narrow. Redmond and Snodgrass were continually coming inside leaving Fer and Howson no where to make the pass. No wonder Fer looked pis*ed off. How many times did we actually play a ball in behind their defence (where their goal came from)?

I''m afraid that I thought a win would revive my faith in the manager but I felt it was a worse performance, in many ways, than against Chelsea or Arsenal and I may be slipping into the other camp.

[quote user="Icecream Snow"][quote user="Andrew Spanton"]Completely agree CUSDP.

Fantastic win and desperately needed three points. However there is no doubt that a bit a fortune and individual brilliance won the game, not managerial brilliance.[/quote]So when we do badly it''s Hughton''s fault.When we do well, it has nothing do with Hughton and the players decided to mutiny against him?[/quote]

I don''t think I mentioned anything about mutiny but don''t let me spoil a bit of fabrication. Fact is, Hughton did not change anything at half time and the second half began pretty much as the first ended. The goalkeeping howler turned the game and I don''t believe that Hughton can take credit for that.

iron stan - What a stupid thing to say, where does LDC say we played brilliantly. I remain to be convinced that Chris Hughton is the man to take us to the next level, but I would never wish for us to lose, and i am delighted we put three past a team that has not conceded very many goals. The match thread showed up an awful of posters in their true colours, posters that melted away as each Norwich goal went in, posters that offered nothing but entrenched views. You explain to me exactly what is wrong with a Norwich fan being happy at a Norwich City win?........

So just to clarify, when we win it''s down to the players and no credit to Houghton, and when we lose it''s nothing to do with the players and entirely Hughton''s fault, correct?

I''m willing to accept that, but just remind me, who brought Hooper, Snodgrass and Fer to the club?

Very often a club needs a second half like that to act as a catalyst to get their season going. We MUST build on this over the next few games.

If not you can see a change being made. But for today EVERYBODY deserves credit for that second half.

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="lake district canary"]Enjoy your negativity  guys.  

We won 3-1 by the way.

Overall, a good result, a good reaction from the players in the second half AND CREDIT TO HUGHTON TOO.

[/quote] If you can''t see beyond the result then your clueless. Can you honestly just forget how poor the first half was? I''m delighted to win but we got a bit of luck today to get us going. Without that we''d have comfortably lost.[/quote]

So what about Cardiff where we got no luck whatsoever?  You have to acknowledge that too!!!

The emphasis on the coach is ridculous. In my experience, a top qualified coach is a top qualified coach and its me that has to perform not the coach, only I can do it so the emphasis all the time on Hughton just demonstrates that all CH''s critics do not have a clue about professional sport at all.

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="lake district canary"]Enjoy your negativity  guys.   We won 3-1 by the way.Overall, a good result, a good reaction from the players in the second half AND CREDIT TO HUGHTON TOO.

[/quote]

If you can''t see beyond the result then your clueless. Can you honestly just forget how poor the first half was? I''m delighted to win but we got a bit of luck today to get us going. Without that we''d have comfortably lost.[/quote]

Oh dear, Lincoln, Your flip-flopping is becoming worse than First Wizard''s.

Last season you were bemoaning the performances, even though we were picking up enough points to see us finish in eleventh position. A finish that some of your fellow posters claim to be a myth.

Then when the performances started to improve and we got a bit more consistency from the team, you were on here shouting about the results. Don''t look at the performance you were saying, it''s the results that count.

And now you''ve done a 180 degree turn and it''s not the result any more.

You''ve left me confused. You''re about as consistent as City in the first half-dozen games. But why worry about that when you can have a good old moan. eh?

Agreed. A valuable 3 points and 3 goals but 1 swallow does not make a summer. In the same vein 1 win does not mean we are safe. Only heading in the right direction.

Woeful first half. We can''t keep this up all season and expect to survive. Something needs to change.

Yes we did get a slice of luck to get back in the game, but as we have had rotten luck so far this season we were due a break.

Well done to the team for turning it around and well done to Chris Hughton.

[quote user="Rock The Boat"][quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="lake district canary"]Enjoy your negativity  guys.   We won 3-1 by the way.Overall, a good result, a good reaction from the players in the second half AND CREDIT TO HUGHTON TOO.

[/quote]

If you can''t see beyond the result then your clueless. Can you honestly just forget how poor the first half was? I''m delighted to win but we got a bit of luck today to get us going. Without that we''d have comfortably lost.[/quote]

Oh dear, Lincoln, Your flip-flopping is becoming worse than First Wizard''s.

Last season you were bemoaning the performances, even though we were picking up enough points to see us finish in eleventh position. A finish that some of your fellow posters claim to be a myth.

Then when the performances started to improve and we got a bit more consistency from the team, you were on here shouting about the results. Don''t look at the performance you were saying, it''s the results that count.

And now you''ve done a 180 degree turn and it''s not the result any more.

You''ve left me confused. You''re about as consistent as City in the first half-dozen games. But why worry about that when you can have a good old moan. eh?[/quote]

Pathetic and wrong. Last season our squad wasn''t good enough so it was about grinding out the results to stay up and rebuild in the summer. Since we stayed up and rebuilt with players supposedly better the emphasis must be back on performances aswell as result.

Ultimately the result is the most important thing, obviously. Are you content with first half displays like tonight? Without luck we were not going to win in a month of Sundays. And that first half performance was so inept and alarming that despite the result it cannot be ignored.

In the Lambert era we had matches where we were outplayed in the first half, only to turn it around in the second half, causing celebration at how good our manager was and how resilient the players were.  So it should be today.  Credit to the manager and team for an important win.

Look, i have absolutely no issue with fans who still want Chris Hughton out based on his overall record. That''s fair enough, in my book. I mean, i''m getting some right bad splinters here on the fence (occasionally hughton gives me a tug in his direction based on their being no one else available).

What i don''t understand is how people can just claim any result in Hughton''s favour is luck.

At half time i said to my mate, the most important thing is that the players come out and show more determination and spirit - without it it suggest Hughton can''t motivate a de-motivated team.

We came out the second half pressed a bit more and certainly gave Howson more freedom to roam forward - with one of the wingers tucking in to cover if necessary.

You have to at least give credit to Hughton for that - whilst you''re also free to criticise him for getting the first half wrong (which in my opinion he did - not enough pressing)