Sign in to follow this  
Katie Borkins

Is Leroy Fer underperforming?

I hear all this about him being the bees knees and the cat''s pyjamas and what have you, but last night he did very little for me.  He seemed to just amble from box to box at his own pace, much like a latter day Dickson Etuhu.  And I thought Etuhu was good when the cameras were around, but that was about it.  Reckon Fer played like Damian Francis on a slightly above average day, and he weren''t all that either.

Is there more to come from Fer, or is this a bit of an Emperor''s new clothes type situation?

He is a mixed bag, some of his tenacity and tackling is superb, teams find him a real handful. His close control can be exceptional as well and he seems to be developing a partnership with Howson.What seems to be lacking is good decision making especially with his passing game. Basically he is a 23 year old who has all the talent and could go either way based on how he develops. On the other hand I really thought he was not at his best yesterday especially in the first half.

On sky''s tactical analysis they state the only reason we got the points is because of Fer out gunning noble in the second half. http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/287391/analysis

Sorry can someone make the link work please if not already been put on another post.

He is only 23 and has only played in 10 Premiership games and has, in my eyes, been our best player.

He isn''t under performing. He is getting better and better as he adjusts and builds experience and we will end up selling him on for a significant profit when bigger clubs circle in future windows.

It''s the formation from yesterday that restricted him, as pointed out by the bloke doing canary call. With the standard 4-4-2 Fer has to be willing to cover every time Howson drove forwards and the same with Howson, we see the best of Fer with a player in behind taking the defence responsibility and giving him more freedom in the centre to get forward and stuck in if need be.

So far he has shown glimpses of why Everton were chasing him earlier this year, and foolishly let him get away. I still think that that we got a bargain, that he will improve a lot with experience and that before long the big boys with big pockets will be sniffing around.

He has provided signs of what he can be - the brilliant through ball for our third goal in the cup and yesterday''s goal perhaps being the best examples. When we settle down and have an established team, - Turner is the only player to play in all league games, and he is more familiar with the rest of our players and with the premiership, I expect him to become very influential for us.

One adjective that''s not really been used yet, but I feel is appropriate re Fer is "inconsistent". Even within matches he has real purple patches, then otheres where he seems to lose the plot completely.

He does seem to have been schooled in the Dutch way, in that he appears comfortable on the ball, and in several tactical scenarios.

However this season pans out, and whoever is the coach, I predict he will become a very important player for us when he reaches the required level of consistency.

In the first half I thought he was the worst player on the pitch - some of his passes and touches were woeful at best. He upped his game for the second half, but I don''t think he''s playing as well as he did in the first few games. Maybe he''s carrying a slight knock or something?

Sorry - forgot to add - I do think he will be brilliant for us though!!