Sign in to follow this  
Buster Douglas

Redknapp on Fer

Yeah, agree with Redknapp on this one. Hopefully Hughton can adjust the midfield tactics while Tettey is out - the Howson/Fer/Tettey combo was looking really good, & is the sort of formation Fer is comfortable with.

Just about sums Fer up for me,part time brilliance!! I think we got a great player when we signed him but as seen yesterday as we are not getting the best out of him everytime he plays,2nd half he was in a class of his own and then in our next game he may not turn up.

It''s one of the issues with a 4-4-2. Quite alot of midfielders struggle with the whole ''one go forward, one go back'' thought and how it is supposed to be a fluid system. Often you''ll see the midfielders too advanced or too deep. I think that if Hughton continues with a 4-4-2 it will be one of the things he works on. Howson looked more comfortable in it, and was solid throughout whilst Fer struggled initially before getting more involved in the game. Hughton will be working on the midfield movement between the two in training for sure.
As an aside, Howson played very well. I think that he plays far better as a box-to-box midfielder when he has a partner like Fer who he can trust to cover for him as well as offer support. When he plays with Johnson, he often hesitates to advance and leave Johnson exposed. 

I agree on fer but hes only played a handfull of games n the PL.

By xmas i expect him to be more consistent.

Also agree howson has been great, turning into mr reliable for me and always glad to see him having a shot.