Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Wal

Please .. If we are playing with two up front

Have Nathan Redmond on the right.

Fair enough Snodgrass was much better today (second half) but with two up front we must try to get the ball into the box behind the defence. Surely Snodgrass can play on the left in a four man midfield.

Redmond looked amazing in that 5 minute spell on the right, he looked a match winner. It would also stop him coming inside and shooting every time he gets the ball and is on the left.

Fair enough if we are playing with one up top play inverted wingers but with two up front it should be a different approach.

i agree, if we play 2 up front, the emphasis is on the strikers to score goals not the wingers (cutting in).

early balls into the box and not cutting back surely means snodders on the left

Yep, would be interesting alreet, i asked the question yesterday on another thread...when was the last time Snodders started on the left? this is not a test, i''d like an answer if anyone Knows.

It''s a tricky one, Snodgrass seems to enjoy playing on the right - and if he''s at his best, then you probably wouldn''t argue with that. But I would agree, if we''re playing two upfront we need to get the ball into the box - Snodgrass can obviously check back in and do that with his left foot, but maybe a right footer on the right wing would help.

I''m not sure how useful Snodgrass would be on the left though - he hasn''t really got the pace to go past a player on the outside, and wouldn''t be able to cut inside as effectively as he can on the other flank.

I prefer inverted wingers to be honest. The thing Redmond needs to learn is when to play through passes into the strikers. Snodgrass attempted this several times, stabbing the ball past the centre-backs for the strikers to run onto. Redmond needs to add that to his game in order to become truly effective on the left. I also think Hughton has realised the importance of occasionally switching his wingers, there was a good ten minute period in that second half when where Snodgrass went left, Redmond right. It might be best to start with inverted wingers, switch when the defenders seem comfortable, and then switch again after they get used to more orthodox wingers.