Sign in to follow this  
Bradwell canary

Has Hughes improved Stoke?

Changing Managers is not always for the best. Tony Pullis kept Stoke in the PL for several seasons. Has Hughes improved anything apart from the playing style?

Would most fans rather keep in the PL by playing the old Stoke way?

We have never ever got over Lambert going, and to replace him was an impossible task. But I would rather have CH here than Hughes for instance. As someone else said on this board, be careful what you wish for!!

Since the early 90''s, we had Rioch - looked a good idea at the time.  Hamilton was a strange choice.  Worthington looked a reasonable choice.   Grant was a gamble.   Dare I say it but Roeder looked a good idea at the time.   Gunn was a romantic choice.   The point is finding a good manager is a lottery.     As the op says - be careful what you wish for - it may not necessarily be better and could be a heck of a lot worse. 

I''ve noticed in the past that a lot of people on here don''t rate Hughes but his track record is actually pretty good. I suspect he''d be higher up most clubs'' lists than Hughton would if they were looking for a new manager.

Apart from QPR he''s done at least a decent job everywhere he''s been.

Just a valid question, LDC how can it be much worse? We have conceded more goals in our first 10 games then any other time, we have scored less than most other times, we have just had our worst defeat in 75 years and we wit in the bottom 3 after spending more than 30 million over the past two seaosns.

Just how can it get much worse. Let''s not take into account last season but just this seaosn as we have these players and this manager for this year! Most of us said we would give him 10 games, well 10 games have gone!!!!!how can it be much worse?

I am just asking the question, not having a dig but please give me the positives from this season, please.

I''d make the same point, Indy. Like you, this is not a dig, or wanting to start a Nutty style insult fest.

I''ve tried to elicit this sort of info from all the Hughton Inners before. As have several others. But I''m still waiting for answers.

To my mind, the only REAL two positives from this season have been the win at Stoke, and pulling the irons from the fire against what is a very decent Everton side.

The same question can be aimed at Laudrup, has he improved Swansea, has Pochettino improved Southampton?

I don''t think you can seriously know how well another manager can perform at City, but one thing for sure Hughton has the job and lot''s of questions to answer!

We can''t wait until January and hope a new manager can turn things around with what we have, we need to make the change soon and allow time for the new manager to make the changes in January or we stick with Hughton as we did Worthy and gamble.

I''m really not sure where this stuff is leading.

If one is to take this to its logical conclusion, there was actually no cast iron guarantee that in Aug 2009 that Paul Lambert would be any improvement on what had gone before.

He''d been at the mighty Livingstone, then Wycombe and finally Colchester.

I''m sure at the time there''d have been those advocating to "hold our nerve"......

Easy question to answer.......it would be much worse if we had less points and a bigger goal difference than we have right now, it has been much worse many times before, many time including being in The First Division third tier in debt, being in The Championship in debt, being relegated in debt. Positives for this season...sure its been tough but let''s move the game on Saturday to one side (because I want to), look at the bigger picture....... that the players that the money was spent on in the summer, are now clearly settling in (other than Hooper maybe, and his time will come) and the performances were getting better, Redmond looks a very exciting signing, as does Fer, RVW is clearly now getting used to this league, Olson gives us competition at left back, Ruddy continues to be in the England squad, young Murphy has got into the squad and made his debut and scored at Watford, the Watford comeback was a positive, Bennett has certainly improved, the debt has been cleared and I understand the set menu in Delia''s is still excellent...........time to start taking a positive pill............

[quote user="lake district canary"]Since the early 90''s, we had Rioch - looked a good idea at the time.  Hamilton was a strange choice.  Worthington looked a reasonable choice.   Grant was a gamble.   Dare I say it but Roeder looked a good idea at the time.   Gunn was a romantic choice.   The point is finding a good manager is a lottery.[/quote]Since Walker left we''ve not had a long term plan for playing the traditional Norwich passing game after being miles ahead in terms of coaching and youth development during the Chase era. I remember when Walker was last in charge that steps were taken to try and emulate Ajax by getting all levels (ie youth, reserve and first team) playing the same style. We were trying to get back that continuity we had before we were relegated.I''m not saying that Chase was perfect, but since the end of his regime there''s been a short termist chopping and changing to try and get back to the Premiership as quickly as possible, which is in contrast to Swansea''s approach of building a consistent way of playing under a succession of managers. They have come from way behind us to get to a very similar position to where we were 20-25 years ago.Good planning and a long term vision would mean that a change of manager would be less of a lottery than it would otherwise be.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"] or wanting to start a Nutty style insult fest.

[/quote]

You need that half-wit from Bury for one of them[;)]

Still wondering if you were going to acknowledge that I did the reseach you asked for?

"The point is finding a good manager is a lottery."

or more accurately it is more what finance will allow and what your intention ismany of the previous managers listed were as much a result of the club not having the money to attract a really excellent maanger.............. and with other clubs it is what is the immediate and long term intentions aresure there is always an element of ''risk'' about appointing a manager, but there is also a fair amount of due diligence that for a club like ours should reduce that risk to the minimum possible

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]I''m really not sure where this stuff is leading.

If one is to take this to its logical conclusion, there was actually no cast iron guarantee that in Aug 2009 that Paul Lambert would be any improvement on what had gone before.

He''d been at the mighty Livingstone, then Wycombe and finally Colchester.

I''m sure at the time there''d have been those advocating to "hold our nerve"......[/quote]I don''t think anyone was advocating to "hold our nerve" after the Colchester game. That result followed relegation from a manager who had just taken us down. Hughton improved us last Season to the previous one so is in a different position. Fingers crossed we get a result on Saturday otherwise I think he will be sacked. I would not like the task of selecting a new manager as I don''t think I''ve seen such a sorry list of potential candidates.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

How much can it be worse?

That''s what they said about Worthy! It''s all here in the archives.

[/quote]

Also, I could be wrong but perhaps it could be worse if we were Crystal Palace.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]I''d make the same point, Indy. Like you, this is not a dig, or wanting to start a Nutty style insult fest.

I''ve tried to elicit this sort of info from all the Hughton Inners before. As have several others. But I''m still waiting for answers.

To my mind, the only REAL two positives from this season have been the win at Stoke, and pulling the irons from the fire against what is a very decent Everton side.[/quote]

Well, you can have my answer if it makes you happy. Other positives include:

Beating a good Southampton.

Matching Arsenal for 30 minutes and looking likelier to score

Howson''s emergence

Josh Murphy

Switching to 433

Martin Olsson''s crossing

Taking the game to Cardiff

Leroy Fer

Nathan Redmond

Alex Tettey looking the real deal as a holding midfielder.

I''m sure there are others but that will give you a flavour. If you want to pick holes and find fault with everything then you can but there are some green shoots and some things to build on.

Because there is a real mood to damn Hughton whatever he does, and because it has been patchy and frustrating, the positives get overlooked. It isn''t fair or productive but it is the way things are.

Saturday will tell whether Hughton can turn this around. I don''t think he will get another chance but i do think it will cost us most of the January transfer budget to replace him with someone who will do a significantly better job.

[quote user="Indy"]

Just a valid question, LDC how can it be much worse? We have conceded more goals in our first 10 games then any other time, we have scored less than most other times, we have just had our worst defeat in 75 years and we wit in the bottom 3 after spending more than 30 million over the past two seaosns.

Just how can it get much worse. Let''s not take into account last season but just this seaosn as we have these players and this manager for this year! Most of us said we would give him 10 games, well 10 games have gone!!!!!how can it be much worse?

I am just asking the question, not having a dig but please give me the positives from this season, please.

[/quote]

So a 0-7 defeat away in the premiership against a team full of quality internationals is worse than a 1-7 hiding at home in the 3rd tier of English football is it? We are at a totally different level now and are debt free we can''t expect to compete with the likes of Man City''s etc of this world every week.

If we stay patient I''m convinces things will turn around, we have major injuries at the moment, if the weeks we played United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City we had been playing average teams our points tally would be looking okay. My only concern is that the injuries to Tettey and Redmond have come at the wrong time.

3 pts Tomorrow plus the international break and then onwards and upwards for all of us.

OTBC