Sign in to follow this  
iron_stan

sunderland

Newcastle and Sunderland defences standing up to be counted.

Ours has looked no where near as resilient so far this season. I''m not even sure Hughton knows his ''go to'' ''four'' anymore......

It''s a funny old game Saint.......

We lose 7-0 and reply with a 3-1 win. Citeh win 7-0 and reply with a 1-0 defeat at Sunderland.

Make of that what you will...

And I''m sure you will....

But that''s the way it''s always been and that''s football!

You make your own luck Bristol, Man City never looked like scoring today whereas they looked like scoring every time they had the ball against us.

Based on that performance, surely we''ll finish below Sunderland.....although one swallow doesn''t make a summer does it?

We also beat Southampton who are currently third so surely we should be 2nd now?What''s that? Football doesn''t work like that? Surely not!

Just as our 3-1 win yesterday proves keeping a manager can actually make a difference..... for all those who said we wouldn''t beat West ham with Hughton in charge.

Anyone who''s really into hand wringing may like to consider the fact that Welling knocked Luton out of the FA Cup yesterday.....

Top that!!

"Davros from Lowestoft"

Go and support Sunderland then. Just sayin''

Who does he support at the moment?

If Sunderland had dropped any deeper they would have been sitting in the front row of the stand. They defended like mad and got the points which goes to show that clean sheets are just as if not more important than scoring goals. If you are fortunate enough to score first then its the right way to play against the big boys.Going for it will kill you against the better teams in this league. You have to stay in the game and give yourself a chance. It may not be pretty but its effective.

Sunderland seem to have the indian sign on Citeh at there place at the moment. 
Mancini joked after the game last season about just giving them the 3 points in future and saving on the costs of travelling. 

[quote user="ricardo"]If Sunderland had dropped any deeper they would have been sitting in the front row of the stand. They defended like mad and got the points which goes to show that clean sheets are just as if not more important than scoring goals. If you are fortunate enough to score first then its the right way to play against the big boys.Going for it will kill you against the better teams in this league. You have to stay in the game and give yourself a chance. It may not be pretty but its effective.[/quote]
Fair point Ricardo. I was chatting to a Brighton season ticket holder the other day. He said that the first thing Poyet did there was get the defence sorted. I have also heard Poyet say in an interview that as a manager he takes much more satisfaction from a goaless draw than a high scoring one. He does not do entertainment.
Expect the Sunderland defence to not be too leaky from now on.

so with that smiley face I can safely assume you''re happy with that.

which means it''s probably safe to assume one of three things

1) you hate Norwich

2) you support Ipswich

3) you support Sunderland

What a horrible result. Not sure why City can''t shake the hoodoo at The Statium of Economic Blight. I''m still backing them to win the league, but it''s getting nervy.

FWIW, Sunderland is still a crap team and relegation fodder.

From Hull down all will be in this relegation scrap. I think only Palace seem obviously out of their depth. I also can see Hull getting dragged right in it despite their decent start

In an attempt to make some sense of this otherwise irrational set of results, I''d say that Citeh had been revved up for their CL game, and fizzed out afterwards (apparently the same happened to Arsenal).

There is certainly something in playing sides after a Euro clash, the Thurs-Sun thing in particular seems to make sides a bit ''squiffy'' (in recent seasons Stoke, Fulham and Newcastle suffering springs to mind), but also CL - several of the weekend results have been abit odd.

That was a lesson in parking the bus, back line of 5 in the box with 4 on the edge of the area, was going to be hard for Citeh to find a way through that... And that''s without them not looking that impressive.

Annoying as I always think teams seem to find their purple patch against us...

Personally I thought that Bardsley fouled Milner as he was getting the ball. It was not a shoulder charge, he pushed on his shoulder and Milner, who is not lightweight, went down under the challenge. Another time that would have been given a foul.

[quote user="birchfest"]That was a lesson in parking the bus, back line of 5 in the box with 4 on the edge of the area, was going to be hard for Citeh to find a way through that... And that''s without them not looking that impressive.

Annoying as I always think teams seem to find their purple patch against us...[/quote]Do you think this is just a coincidence or do we more often than not just go through the motions then humbly await our fate like a journeyman boxer when we play these big teams, i think a lot of the time we are beaten in the match build up...

I can''t remember Seb Larrson making tackles like that before.

Poyet certainly seems to be talking full commitment.

With one or two other rather ''robust'' tackles going in in previous games are Sunderland turning into ''dirty Leeds''?