Sign in to follow this  
crabbycanary

Are West Ham the new Stoke?

Bear with me

As much as we lacked quality in the first half yesterday, I though West Ham''s football was pretty poor all round.

They used to be the ''footballing team'' from many many years ago (and they still hark on about that even 30/40/50 years later)

Yes they had loads of possession, but at one stage in the first half, they had a passage of play that must have had at least 20/25 passes that ended up being passed back to their keeper. Not threatening our defence at all. There is nothing wrong in keeping the ball, waiting for an opportunity, but they didn''t seem bothered about looking for chances. Yes they couldn''t believe their luck when they scored, but to all intents and purposes I felt they would have been happy with a 0-0 from minute one. Again nothing wrong with that if you are away from home, and their (before yesterday) goals against column for away games was very impressive

BUT

are they turning into a side (Stoke esque) that no one wants to watch? Effective to stay in the league? Possibly, but probably not long term if they don''t change something (manager/tactics/players/all of the 3 mentioned?)

I will be seeing a West Ham fan at work sometime this week, who has been supporting them for 50 years, and went yesterday , and will be interested in his views

He wasn''t happy with Allardyce on Friday when I spoke to him, so we will see.

A friend of mine is a spammer and like yours, is not a fan of Sams, even before yesterday''s game he would like to see him gone.It is about the style of play and how they want to play the West Ham way. Even though he has been effective I don''t think he''s ever warmed to Sam.

Sounds very familiar somehow.

[quote user="crabbycanary"]Bear with me

As much as we lacked quality in the first half yesterday, I though West Ham''s football was pretty poor all round.

They used to be the ''footballing team'' from many many years ago (and they still hark on about that even 30/40/50 years later)

Yes they had loads of possession, but at one stage in the first half, they had a passage of play that must have had at least 20/25 passes that ended up being passed back to their keeper. Not threatening our defence at all. There is nothing wrong in keeping the ball, waiting for an opportunity, but they didn''t seem bothered about looking for chances. Yes they couldn''t believe their luck when they scored, but to all intents and purposes I felt they would have been happy with a 0-0 from minute one. Again nothing wrong with that if you are away from home, and their (before yesterday) goals against column for away games was very impressive

BUT

are they turning into a side (Stoke esque) that no one wants to watch? Effective to stay in the league? Possibly, but probably not long term if they don''t change something (manager/tactics/players/all of the 3 mentioned?)

I will be seeing a West Ham fan at work sometime this week, who has been supporting them for 50 years, and went yesterday , and will be interested in his views

He wasn''t happy with Allardyce on Friday when I spoke to him, so we will see.[/quote]I think it was more to do with them not having a striker in the team making the runs forward and forced them to pass the ball without conviction. I wouldn''t compare them to Stoke though, I thought some of the football they played was fairly good in the first half even though we allowed them to. Can understand West Ham fans getting frustrated though, they had a rather poor transfer window and paying for it now.