Sign in to follow this  
newcastle uni canary

bit in the guardian about snodgrass play-acting

Play-acting as much a blight on the game as diving

Norwich City midfielder Robert Snodgrass deserves huge praise for the brilliant curling free-kick which put the Canaries ahead against West Ham.

Less admirable was the manner in which he stayed down clutching his

face dramatically after an on-the-floor tangle with Hammers full-back

Razvan Rat, whose leg might just have brushed his cheek. While it was

true Snodgrass had received a boot in the face in an earlier incident,

and had the swollen nose to prove it, feigning injury to get another

player sent off is every bit as much of a blight on the game as diving.

In this case the referee, Jon Moss, saw through it and refused to let

the Norwich physio on to treat Snodgrass. But given referees are now

much more prepared to book a player for diving, it would be good to

extend the principle and show the yellow card when a player is quite

obviously play-acting in an attempt to get another player sent off. Richard Rae

i can''t remember the incident it''s referring to. was it as bad as they make out?

worse I''m afraida complete embarrassment that would have had the crowd and a much wider audience in righteous uproar had it had been say ....Suarez

Im guessing this is the incident where Snodgrass got a knee to the back of the head, near to the snakepit.

Ah, agenda time again?Sorry, but how can anyone know just how much it hurt when the guys leg connected with his head?Bearing in mind he had already likely broken his nose and was in pain already.

Has the OP seen the size of Snoddys nose after getting kicked in the face? He looks like captain Haddock the poor bugger.

I imagine any sort of tap would be quite painful.

Has Snodgrass play acted in the past, yes, but I don''t think I''m having this one.

He was certainly in the wars Saturday and the problem is it is hard to tell whether any player is play acting. However, despite being a huge fan of his I would like to see him in general ease off a little on the, shall we say, drama queen antics.....after all he is roughy toughy Scot isnt he! Hey, but if he doesnt I certainly will not lose any sleep over it, as I have a feeling he will now be on the start of a really good run and can live with the occasional snodism!    

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]He was certainly in the wars Saturday and the problem is it is hard to tell whether any player is play acting. However, despite being a huge fan of his I would like to see him in general ease off a little on the, shall we say, drama queen antics.....after all he is roughy toughy Scot isnt he! Hey, but if he doesnt I certainly will not lose any sleep over it, as I have a feeling he will now be on the start of a really good run and can live with the occasional snodism!    [/quote]I think in the last few games he has actually eased off with his complaining. I put a lot of it down, earlier in the season, to frustration, possibly to do with not being fully fit

That''s why it''s such a problem; I''ve seen players go down with little, or seemingly no, contact, only to get up with blood pouring from a wound. It really is very difficult to tell sometimes.

This incident was right in front of me and unfortunately it was blatant pretence, I was still shouting for a free kick of course.

It was the challenge on Rat that possibly broke his nose, at least there was connection with his face, I''m not sure it was deliberate mind you.

A very strange incident to highlight considering it was in a no where position.

Still, that''s what you get from journo''s in rags. Some of it is utter Tosh.

surely as the players are bot supposed to act independently and every action they take is part of Hughton''s grand master plan then Sodgrass should at least be absolved of all responsibility

The only foul that really matters was the one that gave us the free kick that Snodgrass scored from, and that one definitely was a foul.

Having said that, I sometimes wish they would just pick themselves up and get on with it instead of being such big drama queens. I may be showing my age here, but I can''t remember Duncan Forbes or Dave Stringer rolling around like big girls after they had been fouled.

[quote user="Power Hamster"]The only foul that really matters was the one that gave us the free kick that Snodgrass scored from, and that one definitely was a foul.

Having said that, I sometimes wish they would just pick themselves up and get on with it instead of being such big drama queens. I may be showing my age here, but I can''t remember Duncan Forbes or Dave Stringer rolling around like big girls after they had been fouled.[/quote]They certainly didn''t. I remember Big Dunc suffering a punctured lung and he still carried on for some time until even he had to come off. In another match Don Heath took a whack on the face and he was still haring up and down the wing for the rest of the match as his shirt quickly became totally drenched in blood. Who can forget Terry Butcher''s England game when it looked as though he''d been attacked with a meat cleaver.In those days of course there were no concerns about blood contamination and only one sub was on the bench so there was more reason to stay on the pitch to try and see the game out.

The nose incident (where he had to change his shirt) and this one (where he was rolling round the floor like a girl) are separate incidents.

I will actually defend Snoddy for the Rat incident here. If you view the replay carefully, Rat DOES have a second bit at Snoddy and KNEES him in the face. It WAS underhand and it is not easily seen, but it was indeed naughty from Rat.

The dirty rat.....

Why are people so quick to jump on certain players and defend others. I wonder if Big Dunc would have pleaded with the bench to come off for a dead leg....