Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

International break - again.

[:(]Still, I suppose it gives injuries a chance to recover for Newcastle game. Would rather the season was without these weeks off.    Midweek internationals as they used to be were much better for the spectator imo and meant less disruption   -  and you can''t say midweek matches are too tiring to do - because as a result of the international break we have to have a midweek away game at Liverpool - difficult for away fans on a working day too.   I could have gone to a match next Saturday, but can''t make Newcastle for family reasons, the midweek Liverpool game is out because of work - two away games I would normally go to - and can''t go to the CP match either.   Oh well, there''s always Christmas shopping............[:S]

Thanks for the little personal update, gives such a lift on a Monday morning to get a little insight into celebrity life!

If you enjoy the World Cup then don''t moan about international breaks.

It is one thing having an away trip to Liverpool from Norwich midweek - it is another thing entirely if a player has to travel to Brazil, Japan or Australia and back for a midweek game. Makes it completely infeasable to play internationals on a Wednesday between two league fixtures.

It''s not like international breaks are happening every other week and there isn''t another one until Febuary next year so it''s hardly a massive problem. I''d guess for every Norwich fan who can''t make Newcastle away in a couple of weeks due to personal commitments there is probably another one who can go. Also, these are in the calendar from the beginning of the season, not like fixtures have been moved around at short notice like when they are moved for TV.

I enjoy them, especially recently.

It''s not as if they actually replace league games.

They make the season that little bit longer and it finishes just in time for the cricket test matches as well.

Bootiful!

[quote user="splutcho"]Yeah, they''re gonna sack him after a 3-1 win. He''s not going anywhere for a while, get used to it.[/quote]

Don''t be too sure, one 45 minute patch doesn''t gloss over the garbage which has been ditched up all season under him.

Why has Wiz been permitted to poison yet another thread with unrelated bile?On a lighter note at least the International break proves that England are capable of playing a couple of matches at this time of year without the need for a mid season break, that''s usually all the time they need in a World Cup.... [;)]

[quote user="Davros from Lowestoft"]Why has Wiz been permitted to poison yet another thread with unrelated bile?

On a lighter note at least the International break proves that England are capable of playing a couple of matches at this time of year without the need for a mid season break, that''s usually all the time they need in a World Cup.... [;)]
[/quote]

Oh stop being a ruddy drama queen.

[quote user="Vanwink"]

Thanks for the little personal update, gives such a lift on a Monday morning to get a little insight into celebrity life!

[/quote]

And not once did he use his favourite word '' consistency'' . [:D]

Personally I absolutely hate these international breaks.

Why not delay the start of the season and just have a two week block at the start of the season for internationals? And then maybe another week in early January or something?

That way you avoid the players playing for one team and then being transferred a couple of days later to another and also give teams a week in January to just focus on signing players, getting the walking wounded up to speed again.

I really hate that the last couple of international breaks have come when we have just got a decent result / performance and then really prevent us from getting any sort of carry-over effect.

I like to see England to well but FIFA really need to get their heads in order. Have it at the end of the summer and be done with it, after all, the tournaments are in the summer anyway (apart from when it''s too hot!).

[quote user="chicken"]Personally I absolutely hate these international breaks. Why not delay the start of the season and just have a two week block at the start of the season for internationals? And then maybe another week in early January or something? That way you avoid the players playing for one team and then being transferred a couple of days later to another and also give teams a week in January to just focus on signing players, getting the walking wounded up to speed again. I really hate that the last couple of international breaks have come when we have just got a decent result / performance and then really prevent us from getting any sort of carry-over effect. I like to see England to well but FIFA really need to get their heads in order. Have it at the end of the summer and be done with it, after all, the tournaments are in the summer anyway (apart from when it''s too hot!).[/quote]

Because different countries start their season at different times, what works best for the Premier League may not suit La Liga or Ligue 1. It almost certainly wouldn''t suit leagues in South America or East Asia. Football isn''t just about the Premier Leauge or even the ''big 4'' leagues in Europe - it is a global game and no one nation deserves priorty just because they have a higher profile league.

Norwich fans should be able to relate to that feeling of higher profile teams seemingly given priority or benefits due to their status, why would you want to spread that feeling?

The idea with qualifying is that it takes place over a long period to stop individual teams getting advantage of circumstances - imgaine if England had to play 3 or 4 qualifying games in a two week period when someone like Rooney was injured. By stretching it out over a season it stops these kinds of situations arising. I also doubt clubs would be happy to lose players for such a prolonged period of time right before the start of the season.

Whilst the last two international breaks have come after wins for Norwich which is unfortunate - last season it was the international break that allowed Hughton to sort out Norwich''s defence and start the 10 game run.

[quote user="Vanwink"]Thanks for the little personal update, gives such a lift on a Monday morning to get a little insight into celebrity life![/quote]

It wasn''t meant to be  a personal update, just venting my frustration that the reduced Saturday games make it harder for people like me to attend the few accessible games they could have got to, not to mention continuity for a club team and manager. 

Also, congratulations to Wiz for finding yet another way of pursuing his "Hughton out" campaign.  Truly inspired!

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Vanwink"]Thanks for the little personal update, gives such a lift on a Monday morning to get a little insight into celebrity life![/quote]

It wasn''t meant to be  a personal update, just venting my frustration that the reduced Saturday games make it harder for people like me to attend the few accessible games they could have got to, not to mention continuity for a club team and manager. 

Also, congratulations to Wiz for finding yet another way of pursuing his "Hughton out" campaign.  Truly inspired!

[/quote]Two tough games for France coming up in the playoffs though. Hopefully it will give Loic Remy the chance to get a little "break" of his own.

International "breaks" were bought in as the big clubs didnt want to play without their "stars" for fear of losing.

squads are big enough now to play games without the breaks.

Oh No! Man City might actually HAVE to field a youth player... oh the humanity!!! especially if he turns out half decent....

Always two sides to every story, Lakey..... eg if England had fcuked up against Ukraine or Poland, this would''ve been our get out of jail card for a ticket to Brazil 2014. In any case a match against the Hun is always a good ''un.

And it''s just unfortunate for you that it doesn''t fit into your plans. From my point of view, I''ll be abroad on business next w/e, so at least it means I don''t have to faff about finding a place showing English TV or a decent broadband signal to follow it on the net.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]International "breaks" were bought in as the big clubs didnt want to play without their "stars" for fear of losing. squads are big enough now to play games without the breaks. Oh No! Man City might actually HAVE to field a youth player... oh the humanity!!! especially if he turns out half decent....[/quote]

Would be much more damaging for a club like Norwich than Man City.

No Ruddy, Russell Martin, Whittaker, Bassong, Olsson, Fer, Redmond, Snodgrass, Tettey, Elmander, RvW.

[quote user="lake district canary"][:(]

I could have gone to a match next Saturday, but can''t make Newcastle for family reasons, the midweek Liverpool game is out because of work - two away games I would normally go to - and can''t go to the CP match either.  

[/quote]Well it''s a stroke of luck not being able to go to Anfield.We''re odds-on to get mullered there.  [:D]

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="lake district canary"][:(]

I could have gone to a match next Saturday, but can''t make Newcastle for family reasons, the midweek Liverpool game is out because of work - two away games I would normally go to - and can''t go to the CP match either.  

[/quote]Well it''s a stroke of luck not being able to go to Anfield.We''re odds-on to get mullered there.  [:D][/quote]Sop being so "little old Norwich"[:@][;)]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="lake district canary"][:(]

[/quote]Well it''s a stroke of luck not being able to go to Anfield.We''re odds-on to get mullered there.  [:D][/quote]Sop being so "little old Norwich"[:@][;)]

[/quote]OK let''s be " big old Norwich " then but it won''t change the bookies odds-on that we get mullered [:P] [;)]

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="morty"][quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="lake district canary"][:(]

[/quote]OK let''s be " big old Norwich " then but it won''t change the bookies odds-on that we get mullered [:P] [;)][/quote]Yep, there will be a mullering lol!

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]International "breaks" were bought in as the big clubs didnt want to play without their "stars" for fear of losing. squads are big enough now to play games without the breaks. Oh No! Man City might actually HAVE to field a youth player... oh the humanity!!! especially if he turns out half decent....[/quote]

Would be much more damaging for a club like Norwich than Man City.

No Ruddy, Russell Martin, Whittaker, Bassong, Olsson, Fer, Redmond, Snodgrass, Tettey, Elmander, RvW.

[/quote]

for qualifiers perhaps, but Alex Ferguson was always refusing to let players travel for international friendlies....

more damaging to England i''d say... would anyone actually care??