Sign in to follow this  
Splendid Rush

Jussi Jaaskelainen

I have to say, I''m quite pleased it was his mistake that started our comeback on Saturday. I''ve never liked him.The reason I don''t like him is because I''ve always been under the impression that when he first came to England, we took him on trial, (I saw him play for our reserves). Although we took the gamble (and cost) of bringing him over, his agent invited loads of scouts to come and watch him. As I remember, we offered him a contract but he decided to sign for Bolton.I have read just recently though, that it was us that spent too long before offering him a contract and Bolton nipped in before us. Anyone know which is the true story on this one?

You''re right about the details of the story Splendid. As to exactly why he ended up at Bolton and not us I don''t completely know.

However, what I do know is that Mike Walker was absolutely incandescent about what happened....

I thought I remembered Walker being really angry which is why I think the original story I told was the correct one. I''m sure he felt that the club had been used by him and his agent.

This is from "Flown from the Nest"

Finnish Under 21 international goalkeeper Jussi Jaaskelainen came to Norwich on trial from Finnish side VPS Vassa in October 1997. With City''s Third choice keeper Robert Green out until after Christmas with injury, Mike Walker wanted extra cover for the No.1 shirt. Jussi played for the Reserves in their 1-0 victory over Luton Town on October 27th. He returned to Finland to await Walker''s verdict.

Whilst Walker deliberated, Premiership side Bolton Wanderers stole City''s thunder and signed Jussi for £100,000. He made his debut on Saturday 8th August 1998 in Bolton''s 2-2 draw with Crystal Palace.

It doesn''t go into detail but seem to recall NCFC being peeved to say the least as they had paid for the costs and thought they had first refusal.

We were talking during the game about Jaaskelainen, and I thought some years ago, when he was playing for someone else, that he let in a real soft goal (backpass or something?) at the Barclay? Did I dream that?

[quote user="Graham Paddons Beard"]

Whilst Walker deliberated, Premiership side Bolton Wanderers stole City''s thunder and signed Jussi for £100,000. He made his debut on Saturday 8th August 1998 in Bolton''s 2-2 draw with Crystal Palace.

It doesn''t go into detail but seem to recall NCFC being peeved to say the least as they had paid for the costs and thought they had first refusal.

[/quote]

So Walker was too slow to act. Does Wiz know about this? [:D]

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Graham Paddons Beard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Doesn''t matter, it''s still Hughton''s fault.

[quote user="crabbycanary"]We were talking during the game about Jaaskelainen, and I thought some years ago, when he was playing for someone else, that he let in a real soft goal (backpass or something?) at the Barclay? Did I dream that?[/quote]

nope, it was Preston''s keeper though. soft back pass and he seemed to just watch it go past and not even try and kick it.. Worthy was manager, might have been promotion season?

[quote user="Nuff Said"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Graham Paddons Beard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Doesn''t matter, it''s still Hughton''s fault.[/quote]

[:D][:D][:D]