Sign in to follow this  
CiderkiddCanary

Forster/Ruddy debate

Listening to 5 Live, all of the people on the show at the moment seem to think that Fraser Forster is likely to start ahead of John Ruddy for England against Chile, and then Joe Hart will come back in for the Germany game.The justification of this? Apparently because Forster has been "exceptional" in the Champions League for Celtic for the last couple of years.So approximately 12-18 matches in the Champions League is the same as being very good for the majority of 63 games in the PL for Norwich? I don''t understand the logic behind this point of view, other than maybe because Celtic''s CL games are more high profile than Norwich''s PL games. But still, personally I think Ruddy deserves another chance for England.

As Norwich fans we a re in a unique situation to judge them both

In my eyes, Ruddy is hands down better.

We are talking Woy Hodgson logic here!

Imo, Ruddy should get a start no question.

He is more agile than Forster, and for a start has played more top level / pressure games in his career.

Ruddy hasn''t been as good this season (who has?), but that''s just par for the course in the general malaise so far. Had needed a good game against Man City, but fell short like everybody else.

Hart has been out of sorts for a long time now and that fact that he had no real competition to threaten his place added to his complacency. He deserves to be dropped for England.

Seen very little of Forster this season, but he''s a good keeper and has the added bonus of not being Hart or Ruddy. Will be interesting if he gets a game.

Good problem to have.

To be fair to Forster he is a brilliant goalkeeper.

We get coverage of every celtic game in champs league over here....Forster has been very, very good last 2 seasons, saved celtics a55 more than once.

[quote user="crabbycanary"]

We are talking Woy Hodgson logic here!

Imo, Ruddy should get a start no question.

He is more agile than Forster, and for a start has played more top level / pressure games in his career.

[/quote]

Its not Hodgson logic though. Many pundits and neutrals seem to agree. Far too many. And I don''t understand it at all.

I was having a discussion on twitter with a Celtic fan about this recently, and he said Forster is the best English keeper, he''s the only one who wins his teams points... Which is a load of BS.

We''ve signed the best striker in Scotland, Everton signed the previous best one, and Middlesborough signed the one before that. Jealavic had a good spell to start with a faded, and Hooper won''t be half as prolific in the PL. Boyd was a failure at Boro. Forster has to play against the likes of those week in week out. Ruddy has to play against RVP, Suarez, Rooney, Sturridge, Torres even strikers like Cisse, Demba Ba, Crouch are above what Scotland generally have to offer. Ruddy has about 6 games a season where he''ll have it easy, Forster has about 6 games a season where he is up against PL quality strikers. Forster has the best team in the league in front of him, a league Celtic have dominated completely since he joined them. He''s had a couple of outstanding games against Messi and co, he''s not better than Ruddy.

Of course thats just talking opposition and quality of striker they face. I''ve actually taken some time to watch some of the saves, crosses etc Forster has to deal with. And still don''t understand how people can think he''s better than Ruddy. He simply isn''t. He''s close, there isn''t much in it. But what little there is in it, Ruddy then gets an extra few points for his PL experience surely?

Norwich hat on - obviously be great to see Ruddy in there.

England hat on - Ruddy hasn''t been good this season, in fact he has made some rather poor mistakes. So you''d probably have to say Forster probably just nicks it.

They are only battling to be number 3 so hardly worth having a debate. Hodgson has already said that Hart is number 1 & Foster number 2

I thought he said that out of the two friendlies he wants to play all three keepers.

Think Ruddy and Forster will get a half each. With the way Joe Hart is going I think it would be wise to ensure that both Ruddy and Forster get international experience, because if Hart doesn''t sort himself out they will be fighting for the #1 shirt.

Rate them both very highly, and if Ruddy left I''d want Forster in as replacement, but never had understood the fuss about Jack Butland.

Agree on Butland Le Juge

Looks like a bang average keeper to me. Flaps at crosses, poor distribution, just looks a Championship keeper. Would rather have Green in the England squad

Personally I''d give Ruddy and Forster a game each but if he wants to play Hart for one i''d say Forster is ahead of Ruddy right now- especially as the England set up must know more intimately what Ruddy is made of than Forster.

England generally only pick from big clubs, or players who have been involved in the England set-up since their youth days. Celtic are a bigger club than Norwich, therefore people will prefer to pick their players over ours. Quite frankly its embarrassing to the national set-up to have to stoop so low as to select outside of the top clubs, an inference that the quality is not there in England. I think John Ruddy might well have had a better chance of playing for England warming Chelsea''s bench/playing for them in the cup than playing for us. It shouldnt be that way, but England have always had such a policy. Its why mediocre players at big clubs carried by their team mates walk into the England side almost by default, whilst the Le Tissiers of this world are largely ignored (unless they move to a big club then theyre straight in!)

Don''t see why you lot are making such a fuss.  At the end of the day the England goalkeeping coach is also our goalkeeping coach, and anyone who has watched England recently will see that Watson is regularly involved on the touchline during games.  I can''t see the press influencing any decisions in regards to the keeper, they''ll know which one to pick and Watson is best placed to decide if Ruddy deserves a chance ahead of Forster.

Agree with that ncfcstar. Its difficult to really judge for me, as I have only seen Forster play in a few highlights over the last couple of seasons, so no way can I tell if he is better than Ruddy right now. What I have seen is a slightly off colour Ruddy, but not surprising after the few results he had against him recently....nothing that a bit of confidence from Saturday wouldnt put right though. I think they will get a half each as I am sure Hodgson mentioned.