Sign in to follow this  
Buh

Elmander

Am I the only one that thinks he is about to turn the corner?

I think he grew into the game yesterday and was poor initially due to a lack of understanding, not surprising as it''s the first time we played that formation. He put his body on the line and I think his dedication if he go things wrong to put them right was encouraging.

I''ve got a feeling he''ll start next week and be pivotal.

He does well to knock the ball down and set up Fer''s goal.I understand why Hughton plays him as he can be a real nuisance for the opposition when they try to counter His shooting needs a bit of practice though

He is not my cup of tea, was never really very prolific while at Bolton and just one of those players who was nearly good enough but worked hard....no different to here but that much older.

That said this was his best 30 minutes, in a City shirt and the only option other than Hooper or RVW we have, who give us something else. I hope that we find a few million to buy a better option than Elmander come January.

Still done well for the final 30 minutes.

If Grant Holt was a pound shop Dean Ashton, then Elmander is a pound shop Grant Holt.

Bit more athletic, but doesn''t score, & doesn''t have the ''presence'' to dominate the opposition.

Still a useful option to have though.

See where you are coming from with this Ron.

I know it''s a bit old fashioned of me , but I ''ve always had a bit of a problem with this "striker who doesn''t score" concept !

He does give us a bit of "presence" up front, but, onece RvW is fit (and CH decides to play to his strengths) let''s hope that Elmander will be limited to cameo roles.

Very decent squad player probably signed as we failed to sign on or two of our prime targets. I can see his value in the squad, not a regular starter but has the experience and type of game we need in the mix when required.

Elmander is great at holding the ball up and bringing other players into the game, tries a few flicks at bad times is my only bad point on him! He''s always trying hard for the team!

Snoddy in his post game interview specifically emphasised that Elmander had put in a big shift on Sunday. So the players clearly think he brings something to the table.

He has kept the Mighty Nils Ola Toivonen (Known as the ''Mighty NOT'') out of the swedish national side, started ahead of him lately.......and we wanted to buy him!

Elmander did pretty well on Saturday, people who think otherwise can''t see beyond their own blinkers: they''ve clearly decided he''s crap so whatever he does will be the same.

He was bought as a quagriella type CAM creator,  which is not really his forte,  and has been played as that link up player.    Its not his strength but he is doing his piece.   May be worth a start as the target 1 at the weekend if ricky not yet fully fit.

I thought yest was his best yet and I think he offers us more than Hooper when played as the front man. I think there is more to come,  but would RvW ahead of him up front.  

I thought he was half decent Saturday - reminded me of GH in the way it appeared that it was only him closing anyone down and chasing lost causes.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

He was bought as a quagriella type CAM creator,  which is not really his forte,  and has been played as that link up player.    Its not his strength but he is doing his piece.   May be worth a start as the target 1 at the weekend if ricky not yet fully fit.

I thought yest was his best yet and I think he offers us more than Hooper when played as the front man. I think there is more to come,  but would RvW ahead of him up front.  

[/quote]might be better to wait until the weekend after, when we play Newcastle (adds smiley wink thing)

[quote user="ricardo"]A good 90 minute performance from the big man, I thought.[Y][/quote]Agreed, probably his best game for us so far.

Best game he has had for Norwich was arguably against Bury and that''s saying something. Hope he proves me wrong but not seen anything yet that makes me believe that''s why we have brought him in. What can he do that Becchio can''t?

Elmander doesn''t close defenders down enough, his hold up play and bringing over players into the play should be his foray but I''ve not seen him do that often enough. It''s not going to be his goal tally that makes me change my mind as he won''t score more than 2 or 3 Premier League goals. So I''m really not sure this man will be a success.

[quote user="hazza9"]Best game he has had for Norwich was arguably against Bury and that''s saying something. Hope he proves me wrong but not seen anything yet that makes me believe that''s why we have brought him in. What can he do that Becchio can''t?

Elmander doesn''t close defenders down enough, his hold up play and bringing over players into the play should be his foray but I''ve not seen him do that often enough. It''s not going to be his goal tally that makes me change my mind as he won''t score more than 2 or 3 Premier League goals. So I''m really not sure this man will be a success.[/quote]Play well enough in training to get a game.

Hughton has come out and said that has he... I must have missed that? Pitty he can''t take that form from training to the pitch on match day then eh!

[quote user="hazza9"]Hughton has come out and said that has he... I must have missed that? Pitty he can''t take that form from training to the pitch on match day then eh![/quote]Well it can''t be anything else, can it?Unless we want to go down the silly route of personal dislike conspiracy theories. Managers do not leave in form players out of the team.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="hazza9"]Hughton has come out and said that has he... I must have missed that? Pitty he can''t take that form from training to the pitch on match day then eh![/quote]Well it can''t be anything else, can it?Unless we want to go down the silly route of personal dislike conspiracy theories. Managers do not leave in form players out of the team.[/quote]

Well he did when Becchio arrived. He was in Dean Ashton like form when we signed him.

But I agree now, he''s clearly not right or doing enough for Hughton. When he''s gone Hughton may publicly admit it wasn''t the best signing he''s made, but we all know that really. He needed to sign someone, Becchio was what he got, hasn''t worked out. I just feel sorry for Luciano, was having his best season for Leeds, basically in his prime and we''ve taken a year of that away from him. Its quite sad really, but that happens to some players. Every team needs their back up players who barley play.

He''s just a poorman''s Holt imo, gawling really, as Holty has recently said he was prepared to see out his contract here.

[quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="morty"][quote user="hazza9"]Hughton has come out and said that has he... I must have missed that? Pitty he can''t take that form from training to the pitch on match day then eh![/quote]Well it can''t be anything else, can it?Unless we want to go down the silly route of personal dislike conspiracy theories. Managers do not leave in form players out of the team.[/quote]

Well he did when Becchio arrived. He was in Dean Ashton like form when we signed him.

But I agree now, he''s clearly not right or doing enough for Hughton. When he''s gone Hughton may publicly admit it wasn''t the best signing he''s made, but we all know that really. He needed to sign someone, Becchio was what he got, hasn''t worked out. I just feel sorry for Luciano, was having his best season for Leeds, basically in his prime and we''ve taken a year of that away from him. Its quite sad really, but that happens to some players. Every team needs their back up players who barley play.[/quote]I don''t feel sorry for him, I can only assume he moved here for a payrise, lets face it, no one moves jobs for less money. We haven''t taken anything away from him lol, I''m pretty sure he came here of his own free will.

So he got a payrise, but he''s a footballer. Odds are he enjoys football. And we''ve prevented him from playing football in the short period in a players career you can call their prime.

Footballers get 10-20 years in their career, some go into coaching, some go into media. But they get a very short career span doing what they are actually good at and spent a lot of their childhood preparing for. Doesn''t matter that he got a payrise, as you say no one moves jobs for less money. But if you went and got a job where you just sat around not doing anything, you''d get pretty bored.

Of course we''ve taken something away from him. We signed a player who was on 16 goals in 26 games, could have reached 30 in the league that season had he stayed there. Could have maybe even pushed Leeds into the playoffs (I don''t know how close they were). Basically even if he leaves on 1st January he''s spent nearly a year with only 8 appearances, half of them at least from the bench. He didn''t choose that, when he joined us Jackson wasn''t playing, Morison was going in the other direction and Holt was out of form and Kamara was an essentially unknown entity coming here from America. He was almost certainly expecting to get more game time and make a bigger impact. And he didn''t through no noticeable fault of his own, when he came on he never really did anything wrong.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]So he got a payrise, but he''s a footballer. Odds are he enjoys football. And we''ve prevented him from playing football in the short period in a players career you can call their prime.

Footballers get 10-20 years in their career, some go into coaching, some go into media. But they get a very short career span doing what they are actually good at and spent a lot of their childhood preparing for. Doesn''t matter that he got a payrise, as you say no one moves jobs for less money. But if you went and got a job where you just sat around not doing anything, you''d get pretty bored.

Of course we''ve taken something away from him. We signed a player who was on 16 goals in 26 games, could have reached 30 in the league that season had he stayed there. Could have maybe even pushed Leeds into the playoffs (I don''t know how close they were). Basically even if he leaves on 1st January he''s spent nearly a year with only 8 appearances, half of them at least from the bench. He didn''t choose that, when he joined us Jackson wasn''t playing, Morison was going in the other direction and Holt was out of form and Kamara was an essentially unknown entity coming here from America. He was almost certainly expecting to get more game time and make a bigger impact. And he didn''t through no noticeable fault of his own, when he came on he never really did anything wrong.[/quote]I''m sorry, but I''m not having the "Norwich City have destroyed his career" theory.He took on a job, and turns out he wasn''t good enough for it. Its life, it happens.No, he hasn''t done anything wrong, he''s (for whatever reason) just not been good enough.Oh and I''d be happy with a job where I sit around and not do much, and get paid REALLY well for it[;)]

How is Becchio not good enough... You don''t turn a bad player over night. He scored 19 goals in half a season in the championship before coming here. The goal posts don''t get smaller in the league above! The defenders are better so the service into the strikers needs to be better. I bet you wouldn''t see Elmander getting 19 goals in half a season in the championship.

Some of you won''t be happy until Becchio comes on and cocks something up

Then you''ll blame Hughton.

[quote user="hazza9"]How is Becchio not good enough... You don''t turn a bad player over night. He scored 19 goals in half a season in the championship before coming here. The goal posts don''t get smaller in the league above! The defenders are better so the service into the strikers needs to be better. I bet you wouldn''t see Elmander getting 19 goals in half a season in the championship.[/quote]Heres a clue.The manager isn''t picking him.Heres another clue, he''s now having to train to the standards to enable him to play against world class defenders in the hardest league in the world, not Championship cloggers.Your point about Elmander is frankly irrelevant.

[quote user="Buh"]Some of you won''t be happy until Becchio comes on and cocks something up

Then you''ll blame Hughton.[/quote]Lol, pretty much[Y]

We should put Carlton Morris on the bench over Becchio

That''d really raise hell.