Sign in to follow this  
Gingerpele

Wolfswinkle next game?

If you were manager would you bring Wolfy in against Newcastle?

Assuming we go 4-4-2 again, would you drop Elmander or Hooper?

For me, RVW had his best game by far against Chelsea, he showed class and i''m certain had he played the full game against Cardiff (and been fit of course) he''d have scored, as Hooper was/is still going through that process RVW was going through.

But now Hughton has a dilemma. Elmander brings something neither Hooper or RVW do, he''s got a long ball arial threat (the other two can head the ball in the box, but you wouldn''t want to rely on them flicking on GKs and the like) chases down a bit like Holt and puts himself about. A lot of the time I think he''ll get a fair amount of flack and look like he''s not doing much, but he is going to be an important player for us I think. He was heavily involved in winning the penalty, set Fer''s goal up, a number of good flick ons to Hooper and Redmond in second half and set Snoddy up for a volley he really should have scored.

And Hooper has just scored. So does that leave RVW on the bench? His injury couldn''t have come at a worse time for him really (not that there is a good time...)

No fan of 4 4 2But i''d go Wolfswinkel just in front of HooperI do like Elmander. He holds the ball up well.... but he doesn''t seem very good at scoring goals.

I''d certainly bring in RVW for Elmander.

Elmander isn''t actually that good in the air, he doesn''t win many more headers than RVW does. Plus I''d like to see the two strikers we spent the best part of £14 million on play together

Think you''ll see us revert to 4-5-1 for the away trip to Newcastle with Hooper starting and RVW off the bench. Assuming they''re both fit they''ll probably start up front together against Palace. It does restrict the use of Howson as an Attacking Midfield though.

If he is fit yes I would start RvW - has offered us the most from our strikers so far this season and we will benefit from him starting.

Personally I would start him in place of hooper. 

[quote user="Holtcantshoot"]Think you''ll see us revert to 4-5-1 for the away trip to Newcastle with Hooper starting and RVW off the bench. Assuming they''re both fit they''ll probably start up front together against Palace. It does restrict the use of Howson as an Attacking Midfield though.[/quote]

Howson hasn''t played as an attacking midfielder this season. As long as the tactics are right he doesn''t need to. He''s perfectly good as a CM, he just needs to burst forward every so often.

[quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="Holtcantshoot"]Think you''ll see us revert to 4-5-1 for the away trip to Newcastle with Hooper starting and RVW off the bench. Assuming they''re both fit they''ll probably start up front together against Palace. It does restrict the use of Howson as an Attacking Midfield though.[/quote]

Howson hasn''t played as an attacking midfielder this season. As long as the tactics are right he doesn''t need to. He''s perfectly good as a CM, he just needs to burst forward every so often.[/quote]Personally I was under the impression that when Hughton dropped Wes he moved Howson into a more advanced role and played Fer and Tettey as the deep lying midfielders which was why he has started to make more forward runs and take more shots as well as changing the overall area of the field he covers. But may as well agree to disagree.

Well when we''re playing properly its a pretty fluid midfield, but i''m fairly sure if you were to write it down as a set formation it''d be Tettey holding behind Fer and Howson.

For some reason when Howson played alongside Johnson, Johnson was the one given the attacking freedom. Very very odd. Don''t know how much was confidence and how much was Hughton''s tactics, but it didn''t work. Howson hasn''t played the Hoolahan role though, no way. Hoolahan was effectively a second striker, Howson hasn''t been that attacking. He bursts forward quickly from CM. And is frequently positioned alongside Fer, rather than fer positioned alongside Tettey.

RvW and Hooper really are the best two.Hooper has to keep his place, sure it was a peno but he ran his heart out. You talk about leaders on the pitch, I think in Martin, Howson, Hooper we now have a spine starting to form in the sense of leadership and desire

Good question, I dont think I would RVW and Hooper together, not away at Newcastle anyway. Agree that RVW had his best game against Chelsea and Hooper was improved enough Saturday. Now, despite wanting Hooper to be a huge hit with us, I actually feel that RVW should start if fit, and then I''m not sure about Elmander.........I think I will leave this stuff to Hughton it''s way to difficult! 

Hooper and RVW all day long for me. Elmander is not up to this level and I would have Becchio in front of Elmander in the pecking order as well. Elmander is lazy, poor in the air and technically not good enough. Also sure that it was a clearance/tackle from Collins that set up Fer for the 3rd goal.

I would expect Pardew to field a 4-4-2 at home to Norwich. Probably with either Cisse or Ameobi partnering Remy. So matching them up might not be the worst idea ever. If we do play 2 up front I would like to see Ricky partner Hooper

Both are not going to harass defenders all day but they should as your first line of defence is your strikers. First half against West Ham when we had the ball we were awful with our distribution so you need to work even harder closing down opponents when we haven''t got it. There was quite a few times where Elmander would not close the defenders down or even chase back and that really frustrated me.

If his toe has recovered then a game like Newcastle away ought to suit him quite well as he can hold it up and also run onto chances, so I''d imagine either him or Elmander would start as the lone man.Ironically we''d want to set up similar to how West Ham did against us, except with a striker who''s willing to drop back into midfield when needed. The Irons only looked a real threat on the break.

[quote user="hazza9"]Hooper and RVW all day long for me. Elmander is not up to this level and I would have Becchio in front of Elmander in the pecking order as well. Elmander is lazy, poor in the air and technically not good enough. Also sure that it was a clearance/tackle from Collins that set up Fer for the 3rd goal.[/quote]

Robin Sainty tweeted (quote): "Just watched the full game again. Usually overlooked but Elmander put in one hell of a shift"...

[quote user="GJP"]

You also pick the best team available to win the game.

[/quote]

the best team, not necessarily your best players....

some might argue West ham was our best team.... key men missing for it.. might be a long time before we see some of them start again if we keep winning.