Sign in to follow this  
BOO

Diving is a scourge of the game

Surely its a foul, because he makes a challenge for the ball, doesn''t get it. and trips Hooper up. On the topic of diving, anyone remember that Ramires penatly from our game against Chelsea in Lambert''s first season, when he was moving away from the goal and already on his way over before Ruddy got anywhere near him. The ref bought it, and then we were 2-1 down. Clubs like ours need fairer treatment in the premier league, as those margins cost us a lot of money, and the gap is big enough already.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, haven''t got time to read the whole thread.

Every game in the Football League is now televised right? To avoid undermining Referee''s and to avoid bias against any team, regardless of division or quantity of televised games, why not give the Referee and his Assistants a copy of the game they''ve officiated and allow them to rewatch it and retrospectively punish any player that they feel conned them by simulating a foul?

HampsteadCanary wrote the following post at 13/11/2013 6:15 PM:

Surely its a foul, because he makes a challenge for the ball, doesn''t get it. and trips Hooper up. On the topic of diving, anyone remember that Ramires penatly from our game against Chelsea in Lambert''s first season, when he was moving away from the goal and already on his way over before Ruddy got anywhere near him. The ref bought it, and then we were 2-1 down. Clubs like ours need fairer treatment in the premier league, as those margins cost us a lot of money, and the gap is big enough already.

Fully agree with your last point Hampstead, assuming reviews are undertaken in a fair and unbiased way, which isn''t of course a given, a review system should help to level the playing field vis a vis the preferential treatment that the top teams get from refs on the pitch. It certainly wouldn''t solve the problem but can only shift the balance a little bit in favour of "smaller " clubs.

@Mr Brownstone: The FA is incredibly reluctant to do anything of that nature. It only appears to do it on players that have been ''caught'' doing something very aggressive such as stamps and kicks out that the referee hasn''t spotted.

Almost every decent player, manager and fan would otherwise suggest television replays be accessible at the referees discretion for things like penalties and what they would consider to be red card offences.

Might also cut out a load of the mouth refs get for not giving a card, or for giving one. "Not a red mate? Have a look at that big screen up there, see how you go in off the ground, with two feet and nigh on break the other chaps leg, yeah - that''s a red card, bye!"

I really do think the FA needs to take the lead from other sports like Rugby. No players allowed to speak to the refs other than the captain. Yellow card results in a five minute ''sin-bin''.

You''d find teams like Stoke start to be left in the past where they should be. You may also see less ''cynical'' fouls as players will have to weigh up taking out a player bursting through on goal and take a straight yellow and five minutes off which could leave the team more vulnerable.

I was waiting for someone to raise the egg chaser point chicken, it took a while, but you are quite right.

Rugby union has embraced video technology and until recently has used it pretty well for during game situations and also, which is more comparable here, for post Mach citings of foul play.

Footy has a reasonable example of good practice to follow here.

I don''t know how much rugby you watch, but it does seem as if refs are now going over the top with checking things with the video ref, going back over several phases of play before a try to look for foul play, this takes ages and for me has taken things to extremes. Certainly wouldn''t want to see this in footy.

Sin bin is good, why not? Adds a bit more drama to the game as well.

Some good points Vanwink but I don''t think I would like to see the sin bin, teams would just park the bus for five minutes.

What I would like to see is realistic bans for acts of thuggery. Suarez received a 12 match ban for biting, and probably deserved it, but a player whose tackle could finish the career of a fellow professional gets 3 matches.

There are many things that need to be taken out of the game and the over the top tackle is at the top of my list but a 3 match ban, which to the top clubs isn''t too bad because of the quality in their squads, isn''t enough. It should at least be doubled.

I disagree. Players most likely to get yellows tend to be midfielders or defenders. It would take a bit of reorganisation for five minutes and that could be enough for a team to take advantage of.

As for the rugby going back over several phases of play - it doesn''t need to. If you are asking for a replay to see if the try is legal it should simply be for that. If the ref missed something several phases before then so what? I do think some human error needs to be left in or just get rid of the ref altogether. I think referee interpretation is important.

Machines can''t pick up heated words that result in a foul tackle that could be interpreted as deliberate as a result.

Just make sure it is kept to be used in certain incidents only and for a black and white yes or no. Not silly things like throw ins or even corners. The really contentious decisions only such as penalties, red cards and possibly goals where the linesman feels the player ''may'' have been offside but were unsighted etc.

Yellow Wall wrote the following post at 13/11/2013 8:14 PM:

Some good points Vanwink but I don''t think I would like to see the sin bin, teams would just park the bus for five minutes.

Sin bin could prove interesting if applied to goalies?