Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Will Hughton-outers concede...

Your statistical analysis doesnt bear up to scrutiny though purple, as you are comparing an entire season with part of one. A part of a season where we have played a lot of the top sides. Surely for the comparison to be accurate, it can only be done in this way at the end of this season.
Last season showed that there will be ups and downs, as there will,be in every season, and your statistical comparison feels a wee bit like cherry picking to back up an opinion.

[quote user="snake-eyes"]

Morty,

with all due respect, those ''mitigating factors'' are just excuses.  Tactics and decision making from the Management has been very poor and very poor for quite sometime. we are right to moan about not scoring goals and it has nothing to do with the main strikers being injured or not bedding in quickly, but quite simply we have created nothing for them.  This is because of poor tactics and poor decision making from both the management and from the ''creative'' players on the pitch.

I cheered and was giving high fives with all those around me when we beat West Ham, but everyone agreed when I said that we had just got out of jail with that one.  We were gifted an opportunity to get back in the game, which was completely out of the blue. Up until that point we were still awful and never looked like scoring.

We improved, but WH were still pretty comfortable until again out of the blue a rasping 30 yrd drive from Howson rattled the bar and the most idiotic piece of defending from Collins bundles Snoddy over.  For the first time this Season Snoddy does something right and we somehow find ourselves winning a game that we really should have been losing badly after the first 45.  It really wasn''t until the second goal went in that we started to look like a team that could win the game.  WH were then all at sea and chasing the game which was not in their game plan. Sam Allerdyce was right when he said they gave that game away.

Do you really believe we would have got anything out of that game without the Calamity of the goal keeper?  I saw nothing to indicate that and that is what worries me.  We may just escape relegation this year, but for the club to progress we need to be asking more.  I am afraid I do not see Chris Hughton as a progressive manager.  Stand still and the rest will pass you by, which is already happening.

I admire your faith, but I have seen absolutely nothing to encourage me that CH is the manager who can develop, evolve and revolutionise our club!

He may prove me wrong and if he does BRILLIANT for all involved.........but I doubt it.

Snake

[/quote]
Potato / potato fella. What you term things depends on what way you want to spin it. You call it a calamity from the keeper, but why not call it Hooper putting pressure on him to force the error?
And you would rather trust the analysis of a manager who has just been beaten?
See what I am driving at here?

We win some, we draw some and we lose some. But so far Hughton''s done enough to keep us in this league. Some people see that as a success and others a failure. I guess it depends what your expectations are. I''m still of the opinion that keeping the manager is no bigger gamble than changing him. But I can understand people pointing to bad runs of form or very bad results as reasons to change. However I don''t understand the need to continually try and not credit Hughton with his successes. Over a 38 game season you don''t finish 11th through a few lucky results and you don''t beat West Ham 3-1 because of luck either. If you''re going to go down that road then you have to at least point out games where we''ve been unlucky for balance.

Oh and can I just point out that I have just read that we are exactly, points wise, where we were last season, at this time, and that turned out alright in the end.

I do, but it is weak Morty.

There was no real pressure on the keeper.  It was a regulation catch that he spilled. Then, all credit to him, Hooper pounced on the drop.  That still does not make it that CH changed the tactics for that to happen!  It was luck pure and simple.  I am surprised you see it differently.  Ask yourself, in all reality, how often would a keeper make that mistake under the minimal ''pressure'' as you call it, that occured?

I said that Allerdyce was right. Nothing about trusting him comes into it!  That is pretty poor Morty! The same could be said of would you rather trust the analysis of a manager who has just got out of jail and won? Which one is unbiased? I am not using it as evidence, mearly that I agree with his assessment.

I am not trying to spin anything.  I have no agenda.  My position is well known, but that is not to say a miracle turn around could happen and I will cheer if it does! However I do not believe he is the right manager, but I will not twist anything to try and prove it. I will call it as I see it and if I see something that CH should be praised for, I will happily do so! I don''t do spin!   I am no politician! 

Snake

[quote user="morty"]Oh and can I just point out that I have just read that we are exactly, points wise, where we were last season, at this time, and that turned out alright in the end.

[/quote]

That''s all well and good but you haven''t applied the flattery co-efficient and by the way have you seen our last 4 fixtures?

[quote user="morty"]Your statistical analysis doesnt bear up to scrutiny though purple, as you are comparing an entire season with part of one. A part of a season where we have played a lot of the top sides. Surely for the comparison to be accurate, it can only be done in this way at the end of this season.
Last season showed that there will be ups and downs, as there will,be in every season, and your statistical comparison feels a wee bit like cherry picking to back up an opinion.

[/quote]

Not in the slightest. I was just providing the only hard - and unbiased - statistics we have for the last two complete seasons and the current uncompleted one. And I was not definitively predicting a final tally of 38 points. If I HAD tried to add bias I might - for example - have pointed out that we have played six home games and only five away, which might suggest if anything that we have been lucky so far. Or that we have played two of the three promoted teams. or that we haven''t played Liverpool - our new bogey side...[:P]But since you raised the question of whether we have met more than our fair share of top sides, the (unbiased) figures are these. On current standings we have played six clubs in the top half (1st, 3rd, 4th, 6th, 7th and 8th) and five in the bottom half (11th, 12th, 14th, 16th and 17th). If my poor maths is for once right the average league position of the 11 clubs we have played is 9th. Ie, mid-table.

[quote user="snake-eyes"]

I do, but it is weak Morty.

There was no real pressure on the keeper.  It was a regulation catch that he spilled. Then, all credit to him, Hooper pounced on the drop.  That still does not make it that CH changed the tactics for that to happen!  It was luck pure and simple.  I am surprised you see it differently.  Ask yourself, in all reality, how often would a keeper make that mistake under the minimal ''pressure'' as you call it, that occured?

I said that Allerdyce was right. Nothing about trusting him comes into it!  That is pretty poor Morty! The same could be said of would you rather trust the analysis of a manager who has just got out of jail and won? Which one is unbiased? I am not using it as evidence, mearly that I agree with his assessment.

I am not trying to spin anything.  I have no agenda.  My position is well known, but that is not to say a miracle turn around could happen and I will cheer if it does! However I do not believe he is the right manager, but I will not twist anything to try and prove it. I will call it as I see it and if I see something that CH should be praised for, I will happily do so! I don''t do spin!   I am no politician! 

Snake

[/quote]
Our positions are no different, other than the fact that I see it as less of a risk for the time being keeping him in post.
I thought that the three games, starting with wet spam, would decide his fate, and I accept that no matter what I think, if he hasnt impressed the board by then, I reckon theyll get rid. IF they have a suitable replacement. I dont include you in this, but a lot of people really to look at the bigger pictur, and stop acting like kids with ADHD.

We must be the only team in history that are always lucky when we win but when we lose it''s consistently deserved.

Statements like "Until the second goal went in I couldn''t see us winning"

So...until we were winning we didn''t look like winning. Of course it''s all in the eye of the beholder but saying we were lucky against West Ham is definitely spinning things to the negative. That defensive mistakes were involved isn''t luck, it happens in every game, count how many we made against Man City. These errors lead to goals. If you eliminated defensive errors Match of the Day would be pretty boring every week (unless you''re Alan Hansen.................. or CHRIS HUGHTON!!) [;)]