Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Will Hughton-outers concede...

To get the win on Saturday evening was great, it was also refreshing to see us go for goal in the 93rd minute and not the corner flag.  The general performance for the first 60 minutes was still rather alarming and this match does little, if anything, to improve my views on Chris Hughton and his backroom team.Many people have tried to claim we''ve been playing 4-3-3 recently (obviously not on Saturday before people start to ridicule me), but it''s such a shame that this so called attacking formation looked so impotent compared to West Ham''s 4-6-0 during the first half with many of their players supporting the attack.

[quote user="Matt Juler"]To get the win on Saturday evening was great, it was also refreshing to see us go for goal in the 93rd minute and not the corner flag.  The general performance for the first 60 minutes was still rather alarming and this match does little, if anything, to improve my views on Chris Hughton and his backroom team.

Many people have tried to claim we''ve been playing 4-3-3 recently (obviously not on Saturday before people start to ridicule me), but it''s such a shame that this so called attacking formation looked so impotent compared to West Ham''s 4-6-0 during the first half with many of their players supporting the attack.
[/quote]

Personally I was gobsmacked when I saw the teamsheet for Saturday which obviously meant we were playing 442.   Before the game I had posted that this would be "suicide" against a West Ham team playing 4-6-0.  Unfortunately during the first half all my worries were confirmed as West Ham overran us in midfield and had 60% possession (away from home) and were in full control, Ruddy had to be in top form to keep the scoreline to 1-0.  The 2 strikers are no use when your midfield players are outnumbered and are getting very little of the ball, anything loose was falling to West Ham simply because they had more players in the midfield area.

Fortunately after the break they made the mistake of trying to sit on their lead so we got more of the ball, and we got a bit of luck from their goalkeeper''s mistake - the sort of luck you need in football.  They then panicked and resorted to the long ball route which wasted their superiority in midfield (helped by our back line moving higher up the pitch and compressing the play to an extent).  Goals change games and after the goal you could see West Ham lose their confidence and our players get fired up so that they were able to overcome the disadvantages of the 442 formation so that Howson''s brilliant strike could lead to them giving away the free kick which put us in front.

Even so it was still uncomfortable as West Ham were still getting plenty of the ball in midfield which against a better team could have led to us being punished.  I was relieved when Hughton brought on BJ for the last few minutes.  Ironically of course this allowed Fer more scope to get forward and close them down, winning a tackle just outside the West Ham box and getting the goal which made it safe.

So I am over the moon about the result, but the game confirmed all of my doubts about playing 442.  I certainly hope we revert to 451 away to Newcastle or we could be in trouble.

Very astute, but watch Hughton get slaughtered by the the Hobnobs for being too negative when he does it.

Dear Its Character Forming (ICF seemed inappropriate)

Whilst I remain a fan of the 4-4-2 system for certain times and places I would agree that the starting lineup in the light of WHU was probably foolhardly aat the very least (although not as crazy as the Hoolahan for Tettey substitution at Arsenal)

I would be very interested in your comments to my thread regarding our 4-5-1 formation as I do not feel that the 4-5-1 formation is what is making us so defensive but the personnel and interpretation.

There was very little convincng about saturday''s peformance. Hughton got lucky, no question. Things will almost certanly revert back to normal up at newcastle and the rot will continue. I don''t believe the players have any faith in him, his tactics and motivational skills are abysmal. I can''t see how any player or fan could be inspired by the man. Nice guy but wet as they come. If the board are serious about pushing for the top ten they have to reach into their pockets and appoint a manager capable of delivering it. Does anybody genuinely believe chris hughton is getting anywhere near the best out of our squad of players? There is a lot of potential there, we need a manager capable of realising it. That should be the absolute minimum of expectations.

[quote user="Tony Cottee Woz Ere . . ."]There was very little convincng about saturday''s peformance. Hughton got lucky, no question. Things will almost certanly revert back to normal up at newcastle and the rot will continue. I don''t believe the players have any faith in him, his tactics and motivational skills are abysmal. I can''t see how any player or fan could be inspired by the man. Nice guy but wet as they come. If the board are serious about pushing for the top ten they have to reach into their pockets and appoint a manager capable of delivering it. Does anybody genuinely believe chris hughton is getting anywhere near the best out of our squad of players? There is a lot of potential there, we need a manager capable of realising it. That should be the absolute minimum of expectations.[/quote]

Huzzah!..............and well deserved.[Y]

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Tony Cottee Woz Ere . . ."]There was very little convincng about saturday''s peformance. Hughton got lucky, no question. Things will almost certanly revert back to normal up at newcastle and the rot will continue. I don''t believe the players have any faith in him, his tactics and motivational skills are abysmal. I can''t see how any player or fan could be inspired by the man. Nice guy but wet as they come. If the board are serious about pushing for the top ten they have to reach into their pockets and appoint a manager capable of delivering it. Does anybody genuinely believe chris hughton is getting anywhere near the best out of our squad of players? There is a lot of potential there, we need a manager capable of realising it. That should be the absolute minimum of expectations.[/quote]

Huzzah!..............and well deserved.[Y][/quote]

Rubbish.  You want convincing?    Hooper''s penalty kick was "convincing".   Snodgrass''s free kick was "convincing".  Fer''s finish was "convincing".  Three "convincing " goals showing a "convincing" pride and attitude to what they are doing. Hughton is doing a good job - all the players need is a bit of confidence.   The Manc results set us back and it showed against WH.   But they came through it and they will be better and stronger for it.   

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="First Wizard"]

Rubbish.  You want convincing?    Hooper''s penalty kick was "convincing".   Snodgrass''s free kick was "convincing".  Fer''s finish was "convincing".  Three "convincing " goals showing a "convincing" pride and attitude to what they are doing. Hughton is doing a good job - all the players need is a bit of confidence.   The Manc results set us back and it showed against WH.   But they came through it and they will be better and stronger for it.[/quote]Huzzah! [Y]

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="First Wizard"]

Rubbish.  You want convincing?    Hooper''s penalty kick was "convincing".   Snodgrass''s free kick was "convincing".  Fer''s finish was "convincing".  Three "convincing " goals showing a "convincing" pride and attitude to what they are doing.

Hughton is doing a good job - all the players need is a bit of confidence.   The Manc results set us back and it showed against WH.   But they came through it and they will be better and stronger for it.   

[/quote]

All the saves by Ruddy......convincing, them hitting the woodwork......convincing, us run raggerd 1st half.............convincing, Hull, Villa, Cardiff.........convincing, speak to me after Newcastle and Palace.

Hughton''s learnt nothing.............CONVINCED.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="First Wizard"]

Rubbish.  You want convincing?    Hooper''s penalty kick was "convincing".   Snodgrass''s free kick was "convincing".  Fer''s finish was "convincing".  Three "convincing " goals showing a "convincing" pride and attitude to what they are doing.

Hughton is doing a good job - all the players need is a bit of confidence.   The Manc results set us back and it showed against WH.   But they came through it and they will be better and stronger for it.[/quote]

Huzzah! [Y]
[/quote]

T''wat!

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="First Wizard"]

Rubbish.  You want convincing?    Hooper''s penalty kick was "convincing".   Snodgrass''s free kick was "convincing".  Fer''s finish was "convincing".  Three "convincing " goals showing a "convincing" pride and attitude to what they are doing. Hughton is doing a good job - all the players need is a bit of confidence.   The Manc results set us back and it showed against WH.   But they came through it and they will be better and stronger for it.[/quote]Huzzah! [Y][/quote]

Huzzah!

[quote user="morty"]Lol!

You have just lost all moral high ground and right to moan about name calling Wiz.

[/quote]

So? ......................Lapps has two faces, it was warrented.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="morty"]Lol!

You have just lost all moral high ground and right to moan about name calling Wiz.

[/quote]

[/quote]
I dont think there is an irony or hypocrisy meter that has been invented that could actually measure that post.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="morty"]Lol!

[/quote]

[/quote]
I dont think there is an irony or hypocrisy meter that has been invented that could actually measure that post.
[/quote]

Cheering a post that states we won''t improve as a team is a classic. Literally hate the club don''t they

For me it''s always been about the Cardiff, West Ham, Newcastle (to a slightly lesser extent) and Palace games.

Against Cardiff we played quite well and should have won it. But we didn''t.

The first half against West Ham was absolutely dire. A very worrying approach to the game. It could be argued that Hughton must have done something at half-time but the flip-side of that is why did he not have us ready from the start?

The second half performance was obviously a big improvement but perhaps only because of that penalty. Hard to see what we were going to do had that not happened. However, we had to win the game and we did win it.

Newcastle is something of a free hit for the manager. After recent away performances and Newcastle''s last couple of results nobody is going to be expecting too much. If we get hammered he could be in big trouble but anything else and he''ll be alright. A surprise away win would certainly go down well.

Palace is a big game though. You''re basically not going to come up against a weaker side than them in this league. If ever we''re going to make the most of the attacking players available to us then that is the game to do it in. Any kind of performance that involves sitting off them is going to be disappointing.

[quote user="lake district canary"]...that maybe, just maybe, that it may be better to keep Hughton this season, given yesterday''s second half performance.   If the players can react to a situation like that, then surely there is something good there and it would be better to keep what we have than risk the upheaval and gamble of a change of manager?Shearer summed it up for me.  First half we were lacking in confidence, needed a little luck to get going, but once we got the confidence up there was only one winner.   So its got more to do with confidence than lack of ability/tactics/luck, etc etc.

I like a lot of hughton supporters were beginning to waiver as to whether he should stay, but am a lot more encouraged - after all a win is a win.......

[/quote]

oh dearyou don''t appear too brightHughton should remain because .................... it would be too much of an upheaval, than any belief that Hughton is up to the job. In fact you accept that we should only be talking of this season and not beyond. And, as you further add, it is about player confidence rather that anything Hughton is doing. A confidence that came about through ''a little luck'' rather than any input from Hughton. Anyone with half a brain will know that by the law of averages ''a little bit of luck'' can go both ways - and to claim we should retian a manager because of actions that are beyond his control is not so much absurd but a measure of the desperation coming from the apologists.Last season we were told that the dire football was necessary because Hughton was sorting the defence out - yet we are now conceding more goals than ever. We were told that we should put up with dire football because Hughton had not had the chance to bring in his own players - yet umpteen players later we are worse than ever.The inept tactics are there for all to see. The inability to make the needed changes during a game are now pretty much evident in all games. And what are we offered ..... that we should place our hopes on team sometimes having a ''little bit of luck''Would beggar believe were it not set against the complete lack of reasoned argument from the apologists. I await their next claim that Hughton should not be replaced by a decent manager because we sometimes win the pre match toss of the coin.

[quote user="City1st"][quote user="lake district canary"]...that maybe, just maybe, that it may be better to keep Hughton this season, given yesterday''s second half performance.   If the players can react to a situation like that, then surely there is something good there and it would be better to keep what we have than risk the upheaval and gamble of a change of manager? Shearer summed it up for me.  First half we were lacking in confidence, needed a little luck to get going, but once we got the confidence up there was only one winner.   So its got more to do with confidence than lack of ability/tactics/luck, etc etc. I like a lot of hughton supporters were beginning to waiver as to whether he should stay, but am a lot more encouraged - after all a win is a win.......[/quote]

oh dearyou don''t appear too brightHughton should remain because .................... it would be too much of an upheaval, than any belief that Hughton is up to the job. In fact you accept that we should only be talking of this season and not beyond. And, as you further add, it is about player confidence rather that anything Hughton is doing. A confidence that came about through ''a little luck'' rather than any input from Hughton. Anyone with half a brain will know that by the law of averages ''a little bit of luck'' can go both ways - and to claim we should retian a manager because of actions that are beyond his control is not so much absurd but a measure of the desperation coming from the apologists.Last season we were told that the dire football was necessary because Hughton was sorting the defence out - yet we are now conceding more goals than ever. We were told that we should put up with dire football because Hughton had not had the chance to bring in his own players - yet umpteen players later we are worse than ever.The inept tactics are there for all to see. The inability to make the needed changes during a game are now pretty much evident in all games. And what are we offered ..... that we should place our hopes on team sometimes having a ''little bit of luck''Would beggar believe were it not set against the complete lack of reasoned argument from the apologists. I await their next claim that Hughton should not be replaced by a decent manager because we sometimes win the pre match toss of the coin.[/quote]Oh dear oh dear!  This is typical of the entrenched view of Hughton that us "apologists" find so ridiculous.  We''ve had everything from you, City 1st, over the last few months.  According to you over the last few months, we only win when the players either rebel, or the opposition are on holiday - or on Saturday, because of luck.  You want it all your own way -  in your world, Hughton could win the league and would receive no credit.   Now I do wonder why that is?

may I make a suggestion to you LDCif someone infers that you are not too bright it is probably not a good idea to post up stuff that gives backing to that thought

for the record I have NEVER claimed that we only win 9or have won) when the opposition is on holiday - I have stated that we have won when the players have discarded Hughton''s inept tactics, as seen on Saturday and admittted by Hughtone after the Everton home gameI did not claim that we only won on Saturday because of luck - the comments I made were in reply to YOUR assertion that we won because of a little bit of luckso as well asstop trying to prove that you haven''t a clue about the game I would also suggest that you stop making up stuff and actually deal with what is posted ..............

...................and if you can get a grown up to help have the game, and have what is happening explained to you

[quote user="City1st"]may I make a suggestion to you LDC. if someone infers that you are not too bright it is probably not a good idea to post up stuff that gives backing to that thought. for the record I have NEVER claimed that we only win 9or have won) when the opposition is on holiday - I have stated that we have won when the players have discarded Hughton''s inept tactics, as seen on Saturday and admittted by Hughtone after the Everton home gameI did not claim that we only won on Saturday because of luck - the comments I made were in reply to YOUR assertion that we won because of a little bit of luckso as well asstop trying to prove that you haven''t a clue about the game I would also suggest that you stop making up stuff and actually deal with what is posted .............. ...................and if you can get a grown up to help have the game, and have what is happening explained to you[/quote]

[:)]  Your views are well known.  You have no time for Hughton. Others, thankfully more open minded, see that the situation is not as clear cut as you and your cohorts like to make out.   Time will tell on CH - he has had a rocky spell after some earlier progress this season and come out with a win which will boost the players'' confidence.   Credit to the whole team - including the management team - for turning round a difficult situation on Saturday - some luck to set us off, but once we got going  there was no real problem. 

Me knowing about the game is not important, anyway, its less about knowing about the game and is more about being prepared to accept situations for what they are.   Your doom laden view of things is as helpful as a packet of dried food in a desert.  

[quote user="City1st"]may I make a suggestion to you LDC. if someone infers that you are not too bright it is probably not a good idea to post up stuff that gives backing to that thought. for the record I have NEVER claimed that we only win 9or have won) when the opposition is on holiday - I have stated that we have won when the players have discarded Hughton''s inept tactics, as seen on Saturday and admittted by Hughtone after the Everton home gameI did not claim that we only won on Saturday because of luck - the comments I made were in reply to YOUR assertion that we won because of a little bit of luckso as well asstop trying to prove that you haven''t a clue about the game I would also suggest that you stop making up stuff and actually deal with what is posted .............. ...................and if you can get a grown up to help have the game, and have what is happening explained to you[/quote]

[:)]  Your views are well known.  You have no time for Hughton. Others, thankfully more open minded, see that the situation is not as clear cut as you and your cohorts like to make out.   Time will tell on CH - he has had a rocky spell after some earlier progress this season and come out with a win which will boost the players'' confidence.   Credit to the whole team - including the management team - for turning round a difficult situation on Saturday - some luck to set us off, but once we got going  there was no real problem. 

Me knowing about the game is not important, anyway, its less about knowing about the game and is more about being prepared to accept situations for what they are.   Your doom laden view of things is as helpful as a packet of dried food in a desert.  

If my views are well known then why did you try to misrepresent them ?Lack of credible argument perhaps ?As to the situation not being clear cut I think you will find it is. The league table and lack of goals demonstrate that in a factual sense -and the dire football and inept tactics underpin that point in what maybe a subjective sense, but still one that virtually everyone else understands.It is also a measure of your limited grasp on reality that you would refer to comments about that status as doom laden. Are we all to now exist in the same la la world of self delusion as yourself where such consistent failings do not exist ?Perhaps you could invite us all into this world by telling us how the management team played any part in Saturdays turn around ..... more so when you have constantly bleated that it was ''little bit of luck'' that changed things ie the player''s confidence. Surely it should have been the management teams job to inspire that confidence - not a refereeing decision. So for the record to stop further misrepresentation I want the club to succeed, as I do the team. And that includes ALL who are involved in either group. However that doesn''t blind me to the reality of what I have been witnessing on the pitch for the past 15 months or so - and in that light whilst I do not wish Chris Hughton any ill, nor have any other views other than that he is a decent chap as a person he is not the man to manage Norwich City.A view held by far more people beyond my supposed cohorts - all of whom I know no more about them than what they post on here. That many who I share this view with are those that I have disagreed with on many other matters should perhaps suggest that this is not as you would like to have it a small clique. Away from this forum there are a number of City supporters who I have known since before we ever reached the top flight who have the same opinion - based on the inept tactics and the inability to motivate the players.If you are unable or unwilling to see the evidence of the past 15 months then you are not some super loyal fan, but someone who is daily making a fool of himself on this forum.  

Lapps has two faces, it was warrented.

Huzzah Morty!

I love being a fence-sitter. Well, ignoring the wind chill at the moment.
I can see why, for example, City 1st wants Hughton out. Some of it is even reasonable.
I can also see why, others like LDC, don''t want Hughton to leave. Perhaps even a little bit more of this one is reasonable.
IF, City1st and co are right about Hughton (tactical ineptitude etc) then we will see that over the next 3-5 games. And we will be in a relegation fight till the end of the season even if Hughton isn''t here post those 5 games.
If LDC and co are right, we''ll see a much more confident side at Newcastle. We might not win, but we will match them for large parts of the game. We''ll win at home to Palace (but then again, i could win at home to Palace) and everything will start looking much more positive.
I don''t regard Hughton as tactically inept personally - I generally don''t have an issue with how he sets teams up for a match.
I would say i have my doubts about his ability to change the course of a game with the right substitutions and ideas when we are behind and / or struggling. Too many times we''ve seen us go down and not even look like remotely coming back. West Ham was a nice change - hopefully something which will continue.
Let''s all see how Newcastle goes first!

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="City1st"]may I make a suggestion to you LDC.
if someone infers that you are not too bright it is probably not a good idea to post up stuff that gives backing to that thought. for the record I have NEVER claimed that we only win 9or have won) when the opposition is on holiday - I have stated that we have won when the players have discarded Hughton''s inept tactics, as seen on Saturday and admittted by Hughtone after the Everton home game
I did not claim that we only won on Saturday because of luck - the comments I made were in reply to YOUR assertion that we won because of a little bit of luck
so as well asstop trying to prove that you haven''t a clue about the game I would also suggest that you stop making up stuff and actually deal with what is posted ..............
...................and if you can get a grown up to help have the game, and have what is happening explained to you
[/quote]

[/quote]

More open minded LDC?

Its my opinion that you and most of the ''inners'' have closed their minds to the reality of a failing CH months ago.

Wiz.Why does City 1st give you so much grief when you are basically on the same side of the fence? Strange.

And yet again, good fair post Hogesar!

Now for me, that still comes down to positive intent.  I can''t get shot of the view that Houghton reckons a draw is always a point gained and not two points lost, and there''s little that I''ve seen to suggest he wants to get up and into the opposition.  Particularly away from home, which rankles with me greatly.  Frankly, I''ve seen agoraphobics with more confidence when travelling away from home.

[quote user="Herman "]Wiz.Why does City 1st give you so much grief when you are basically on the same side of the fence? Strange. And yet again, good fair post Hogesar![/quote]

No idea Herman, I''ve even put a pic on here of me at Carrow Road, and he still reckons I haven''t been there....if I''ve got that wrong I apologise to him.

[quote user="hogesar"]I love being a fence-sitter. Well, ignoring the wind chill at the moment.
I can see why, for example, City 1st wants Hughton out. Some of it is even reasonable.
I can also see why, others like LDC, don''t want Hughton to leave. Perhaps even a little bit more of this one is reasonable.
IF, City1st and co are right about Hughton (tactical ineptitude etc) then we will see that over the next 3-5 games. And we will be in a relegation fight till the end of the season even if Hughton isn''t here post those 5 games.
If LDC and co are right, we''ll see a much more confident side at Newcastle. We might not win, but we will match them for large parts of the game. We''ll win at home to Palace (but then again, i could win at home to Palace) and everything will start looking much more positive.
I don''t regard Hughton as tactically inept personally - I generally don''t have an issue with how he sets teams up for a match.
I would say i have my doubts about his ability to change the course of a game with the right substitutions and ideas when we are behind and / or struggling. Too many times we''ve seen us go down and not even look like remotely coming back. West Ham was a nice change - hopefully something which will continue.
[/quote]

Good post.  I am more in line with the way you think, than an absolute inner.   My confidence in CH was rattled after an improved spell and then those dire Manc games.   There is a limit for even the most positive fan as to the development of the team.  Hughton has to improve the results and we have to kick on from the match on Saturday.  My confidence in CH and the players is that he/they are up to the challenge.  But it has to improve week in week out.  Too many weeks like the Manc week will sap the confidence again.  The strength in CH is there to be seen as in the unbeaten run last season.  We need a good run of games/results to get us well up the table by the last six matches of the season, which as we all know will be "tricky".  

The pressure is on, but I suspect Hughton wouldn''t have it any other way.

[quote user="hogesar"]I love being a fence-sitter. Well, ignoring the wind chill at the moment.
[/quote]

sadly we have seen that ineptitudeness over 3-5 games this season, never mind the enormous number last seasonI am not sure how you can claim that it will be a relegation fight if Hughton leaves as his going will remove the dead hand that is stifling our play - wether the incoming manager has the ability to motivate the players to get back to winning ways is another matter, but the idea that he will not because of the damage Hughton has done is not a reasoned argumentI am not sure what an issue is, but I think most can see the problem we have at the moment - that problem being we have a manager who appears to be unable to change his still and ultimately the style of play the team are being forced intoif you cannot see a problem with how Hughton set out his team against West Ham then I have to question whether you are putting up amything that resembles reasoned debate but are merely trying to balance your post irrespective of evidencethe failings were glaringly obvious - we sat off their players so allowing them time on the ball, we didn''t close down the player with the ball nor track the others who were moving about creating space and options the latter being a huge failing when we have the ball - we remain static ... very pretty playing quick one touch passes when the opposition does what you do ie don''t adapt, but farked when they do, hence the numerous times we give the ball awayso who was responsible for the second half transformation, the more positive and assertive approach, one where we closed them down, where we ran at the (Howsons shot off the bar) and we had a sense of moving the players around the park ?if it was down to Hughton then why the hell did he not change it earlier on in the first half - if it was not him then it merely backs up the view that he is not the man for the job ............. a view that should have been so easily grasped when he admitted that the home win against Everton was due to the players having a different view to him of  how the latter part of the should be played