Sign in to follow this  
City 2nd

Not a happy bunny!

Whittaker appears not to be a happy bunny at NCFC due to lack of ''playing time'' according to EDP.

''Its frustrating because I don''t feel I''ve done anything wrong''!

Quite agree with him, we look stronger at the back with him in the side, he is far more accomplished than Martin (who regularly gets himself out of position) defending, and is a better attacking threat IMO.

Surprised he uses the EDP to voice his disappointment though when all in the camp is supposed to be harmonious.

Looks to me as if that came from the Scottish press rather than him using the EDP to have a moan, what do you recon?

If you play in a team that ships 11 goals in 2 games you can expect a few changes!

He needs to get his head down and try to earn his place back, bit of a silly statement to make, may be taken way out of context.

I don''t think it shows unrest in the camp, just a personal moan about being dropped which he would have done better to keep between himself and CH.

Vanwink wrote the following post at 2013-11-14

bit of a silly statement to make,

I don''t think it shows unrest in the camp, just a personal moan about being dropped which he would have done better to keep between himself and CH.

My point exactly VW, but just when we are all feeling after the goal celebrations of last week, and Snoddys press articles about togetherness, Whittaker speaks out - not required, not professional IMO.

Well the only RB this season I can clearly remember being out of position leading to an opposition goal is Whittaker...

Martin is a much more solid defender. Just very slow and indecisive going forward 9 times out of 10.

The difference is Wiz, Becchio isn''t as good as the players ahead of him... Whittaker is pretty equal in terms to ability to Martin, quite a lot think better. Becchio wasn''t better than Holt, similar to Kamara. And certainly isn''t better than RVW, Hooper or Elmander.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]The difference is Wiz, Becchio isn''t as good as the players ahead of him... Whittaker is pretty equal in terms to ability to Martin, quite a lot think better. Becchio wasn''t better than Holt, similar to Kamara. And certainly isn''t better than RVW, Hooper or Elmander.[/quote]

Yet Hughton still signed him GP.

right decision by hughton , id have martin over him every time, martin is a much better defender

There appears to be quite a common theme appearing with regard to players making there feelings known about the current city set up. Both current and former players have made a number of statements criticising Hughton for his selection policy and tactics over the last year or so. I think its hard to argue that the squad isn''t as tight as it has been. And with players like Becchio and Hoolahan not getting a sniff, you have to question whether this good for the overall squad morale.

I don''t like to mention Lambert but he did a cracking job at keeping everyone in the squad happy and motivated. It enabled fairly average players to overachieve. But also players out of the first 11 still felt part of it and would do a great job when called upon. Players like Becchio, Hoolahan, & Whittaker are unhappy and probably don''t feel very part of Norwich city right now. Which isn''t great for the harmony of the squad. I Don''t like the way Hughton appears to freeze players out. It causes squad division.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Gingerpele"]The difference is Wiz, Becchio isn''t as good as the players ahead of him... Whittaker is pretty equal in terms to ability to Martin, quite a lot think better. Becchio wasn''t better than Holt, similar to Kamara. And certainly isn''t better than RVW, Hooper or Elmander.[/quote]

[/quote]A point which would be relevant only if we had RVW, Hooper and Elmander on our books at the time he was signed.

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

A point which would be relevant only if we had RVW, Hooper and Elmander on our books at the time he was signed.
[/quote]

And how many goals have those three scored between them so far?

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

There appears to be quite a common theme appearing with regard to players making there feelings known about the current city set up. Both current and former players have made a number of statements criticising Hughton for his selection policy and tactics over the last year or so. I think its hard to argue that the squad isn''t as tight as it has been. And with players like Becchio and Hoolahan not getting a sniff, you have to question whether this good for the overall squad morale.

I don''t like to mention Lambert but he did a cracking job at keeping everyone in the squad happy and motivated. It enabled fairly average players to overachieve. But also players out of the first 11 still felt part of it and would do a great job when called upon. Players like Becchio, Hoolahan, & Whittaker are unhappy and probably don''t feel very part of Norwich city right now. Which isn''t great for the harmony of the squad. I Don''t like the way Hughton appears to freeze players out. It causes squad division.

[/quote]How have you managed to include Becchio and Hoolahan in your argument??? I haven''t seen any statements about how they feel attributed to either!!!

If you are not happy you can go in the next window and find yourself another Premier League team where you will be first choice RB. Or perhaps you won''t then its back to Scotland or Championship you can forget Premier League wages.

Count your blessings and keep it buttoned.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]A point which would be relevant only if we had RVW, Hooper and Elmander on our books at the time he was signed.[/quote]

And how many goals have those three scored between them so far?

[/quote]Not enough, but that''s not the point mate.You were slating Hughton for signing Becchio, a player not as good as (in his and many other opinion) RVW, Hooper and Elmander.Hughton can be slated for a few things round here. I think having a go at a manager for signing a player not as good as other players he hasn''t signed yet might be a little too much.But you know, why waste an opportunity on a thread to throw out another one of your one-line anti-manager quips?[;)]

[quote user="City 2nd"]Whittaker appears not to be a happy bunny at NCFC due to lack of ''playing time'' according to EDP.

''Its frustrating because I don''t feel I''ve done anything wrong''!

Quite agree with him, we look stronger at the back with him in the side, he is far more accomplished than Martin (who regularly gets himself out of position) defending, and is a better attacking threat IMO.

Surprised he uses the EDP to voice his disappointment though when all in the camp is supposed to be harmonious.[/quote]I think your missing the point with the statement about Martin''s positioning. From what I can gather from other Norwich fans the problem is not the fact that Martin is constantly out of position, as with Saturday where he was continuously pulled into the middle trying to mark Joe Cole and ended up twenty yards from both his position and Cole every attack, but the fault of Robert Snodgrass for daring to get tired after 40 minutes of doing both the right winger and right backs job.Whittaker''s two goals and an assist with limited game time suggest he''s more useful than Martin going forward as well but Russell appears to be the darling of the fans right now so I''ll no doubt get some abuse for daring to say anything critical of the man. Personally I think he was a good upgrade for Jon Otsemobor but is really only Championship level.

I think any player who''s not starting will say he''s frustrated but it''s a squad game.

Personally I think it''''s close between RM and Whitts but IMO RM is a bit better as a defender while still doing a decent job going forward. Whitts does have more when we''re attacking but as a defender his lack of pace is a concern. RM has the starting shirt for now and Whitts has to bide his time and take his chance when he gets it.

I would expect Garrido to say the same if asked.

[quote user="Sox 1"][quote user="lincoln canary"]

[/quote]

How have you managed to include Becchio and Hoolahan in your argument??? I haven''t seen any statements about how they feel attributed to either!!!
[/quote]

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/norwich-city/transfer-talk/news/becchio-angry-with-norwich_108249.html

Not direct quotes but its obvious he''s not happy. As for Hoolahan I feel its only a matter of time before he makes his feelings known.

[quote user="It''s Character Forming"]I think any player who''s not starting will say he''s frustrated but it''s a squad game. Personally I think it''''s close between RM and Whitts but IMO RM is a bit better as a defender while still doing a decent job going forward. Whitts does have more when we''re attacking but as a defender his lack of pace is a concern. RM has the starting shirt for now and Whitts has to bide his time and take his chance when he gets it. I would expect Garrido to say the same if asked.

I think Whittaker is a better player. You only have to look at our unbeaten run last season. His presence was a big factor. and when he got injured we started to struggle again.

i''d be extremely worried if any player was happy to sit on the bench and take a wage from the club for sod all!!1

Whittaker is speaking out because he isn''t playing.

his time will come again.

You''re right, so much so that anyone who''s already worked with him refuses to do so again, that''s why Nathan Redmond didn''t sign for us.....oh!

and yet they respected him enough to win 3-1 on saturday...

the board appear to "respect" him too....

all wrong aren''t they? perhaps you should have a 1 man sit down protest on the centre circle until he gets sacked?

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Well the only RB this season I can clearly remember being out of position leading to an opposition goal is Whittaker...

Martin is a much more solid defender. Just very slow and indecisive going forward 9 times out of 10.[/quote]Martin was well out of position for [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGhXcOnyZl4#t=2m50]Chelsea''s breakaway goal[/url]. Him and Bassong were on Chelsea''s penalty spot when the break started, and he only starting to accelerate back when the ball was near the halfway line. At least one of them should have ran back to help out when the ball we lost the ball in that sort of situation.I''ve noticed a fair few times that Martin has gone missing when there''s no cover behind him, but to be fair we do seem to like our full backs to push forward a fair bit, so this is always a risk. However Whittaker strikes me as a bit more composed and streetwise when comparing the two.

the key moment in the break away goal was Tettey not squeezing up on Willian.

willaisn first touch is awful, yet he gets a 2nd bite of the cherry to keep the attack going.. a bit of pressure from Tettey and we may well have got the ball back in a good position to equalise.

You''re going to blame Martin for that Chelsea goal?

I''ve never noticed Martin go missing defensively, i''ve noticed Whittaker go missing defensively however... Whittaker doesn''t seem to have much idea what to do in his own penalty area, I think it was the against Spurs he gave Sigurdsson way too much room for one, if not both of his goals. And considering how man chances and how much possession they had, you have to look at why they scored the goals they did. Its not just like they were extra clinical, it was two moments of lapse defending to give them the opportunity they were asking for.

And Martin is very good at tracking back and covering himself when he gets forward. Much better than any of our other FBs, last season BJ had to cover for Garrido a lot, one of the things too many on here never seemed to notice him doing, but Martin has never had that same cover, except when playing with Bennett. Snodgrass is more of a last ditch track back kind of guy.

Of course its all just a matter of opinion, we all have different ones. But i''ve seen nothing to suggest Whittaker is more composed and streetwise defensively. He is however, a lot better in the PL at attacking. Martin should have had about 5 assists this season, the best thing Snoddy was doing before his goal last weekend was playing Martin through into the area, but not a single good enough ball from Martin followed. He seems to lack confidence in the final third these days.

[quote user="JonnyH"][quote user="Gingerpele"]Well the only RB this season I can clearly remember being out of position leading to an opposition goal is Whittaker... Martin is a much more solid defender. Just very slow and indecisive going forward 9 times out of 10.[/quote]
Martin was well out of position for [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGhXcOnyZl4#t=2m50]Chelsea''s breakaway goal[/url]. Him and Bassong were on Chelsea''s penalty spot when the break started,
[/quote]

Yes, clearly we should stop our defenders going forward for corners, it gets them out of position every time.

[quote user="Gingerpele"] Martin should have had about 5 assists this season, the best thing Snoddy was doing before his goal last weekend was playing Martin through into the area, but not a single good enough ball from Martin followed. He seems to lack confidence in the final third these days.[/quote]Agree with this. Martin always looks hesitant to make forward runs and put a cross in at the moment. Seems to prefer passing the ball to the right winger marked by two players rather than cross. Not sure he suits an attacking full back role at this level. I am concerned that Hughton doesn''t seem to have noticed the issues we are having defending our right hand side at the moment. Most oppositions appear to be preferring to attack this weak point of our defence at the moment and I haven''t seen any change from Norwich to counteract it as yet. Certainly playing Johnson in the holding role and asking him to cover Martin when he goes on a little walkabout (watch the WHU goal again, he was marking one of our central defenders) would help.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]You''re going to blame Martin for that Chelsea goal?[/quote]No, but he was well out of position. Jas was right when he stated that Tettey was at fault, but even after that Olsson went wide when he should have stayed central.I''m not saying that defenders shouldn''t go up for corners, but if you''ve got two of our back four stood just outside their penalty area waiting for the ball to come back against a team like Chelsea then you''re asking for trouble. However, even though Martin could have got back if he''d set off earlier, it should have been Redmond''s job to cover and he hesitated at couple of times which resulted in him being unable to intercept.[quote user="Gingerpele"]But i''ve seen nothing to suggest Whittaker is more composed and

streetwise defensively. He is however, a lot better in the PL at

attacking. Martin should have had about 5 assists this season, the best

thing Snoddy was doing before his goal last weekend was playing Martin

through into the area, but not a single good enough ball from Martin

followed. He seems to lack confidence in the final third these days.[/quote]Although Martin may edge it defensively over Whittaker, I think Whittaker is the more complete footballer. As you say, he''s better when attacking and in my opinion better in possession, although Martin has improved a lot recently in this area. Perhaps Martin would be suited to games where we''d be more defensive and Whittaker to the more offensive?

Its a very tricky dilemma in the right back area. As others have pointed out Martin is the superior defender but Whittaker offers a greater threat going forward. In particular he seems to have a greater understanding with Snodgrass down that flank and the two compliment each other well. The goal against Swansea last year being a fantastic example. Snodgrass''s preference to check inside also allows Whittaker freedom to roam on the outside. I personally can''t split them in terms of playing ability but for his leadership qualities I do like seeing Russ in the side.

I personally thought we missed a trick last summer by not making some attempt to sign Nathanial Clyne. The transfer fee was certainly very reasonable. However, we have absolutely no idea what wages Southampton were offering. Probably substantial I would guess.