Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Transfer Window

Should we expect major activity in January do people think, or is it likely to be quiet for us? Should have Benno back by then so maybe wings not a priority, and too early to give up on our existing strikeforce. Most likely to be looking at central midfielders/attacking midfielders or centre-backs? Are people expecting major surgery or simple refinements? Or indeed no activity at all?

Thought Bennett was out for the season tbh...

Doubt we''ll get anyone in anyway. Spent alot in the summer and we''ve already had trouble bedding them in so to get more new players would be unwise.

Personally, if Chris has got a decent wad of cash left over ( 10m ish) I''d like to see us go for Yevhen Konoplyanka. He''s a wonderfully talented, two footed winger who can beat a man, and with Pilkington sadly (but fittingly) appearing to be made of glass, he would be a perfect acquisition on the left wing. Top Ukrainian sides have decent finances, so we''d probably be looking at £10m or slightly more to get him. It could be argued that the no.10 position is a little more pressing, however- but with Konoplyanka''s ball control, movement and vision, I reckon a front 3 (if Hoots goes back to the 4-3-3 which is far superior to the 4-4-2 which didn''t really work against West Ham (yes, we were excellent in the second half, but if we press that high for 90 mins our midfield will get destroyed, we aren''t Borussia Dortmund) of Konoplyanka, RvW, Snodgrass could be absolutely devastating- and if we do go 4-4-2 again, Konoplyanka could play off Elmander''s knock downs with Ricky and Hooper as impact subs. Of course, if Pilkington could stay fit for five minutes, we could just buy an out and out AM, but i think we should be looking to spend decent money on a player who can do both jobs, and for me the Ukrainian is that man.

Surely the Ukranian lad would attract interest from top european sides? If not, then i''d love him here along with his mate Seleznyov, both FM legends of mine :-P

I think we''ll see minor tweaking. Not many signings but perhaps a couple of big money deals if we''re lucky. We have quite a good squad now, we just need to improve the quality in some areas and freshen things up to give us more options.

I think we''ll be in for a big imposing number 10, it wouldn''t suprise me if Toivonen joined to be honest.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/clint-dempsey-set-transfer-back-2788118

Why are we not in for him? Perfect stop gap signing, i''d love to see him at Norwich too!

Much will surely depend on what happens in the games between now and the end of December:

Any further injuries of more than a week or two.

A string of defeats (= bolster the team) or progress with wins (= risk things and go with what we have, and build in the summer.)

Persistent poor form of players - e.g. Seb, which heaven forbid.

January signings are often very expensive - the selling club knows you are desperate as a buyer, and they are not going to part with very good players unless they feel sure they can replace them - the trading period is so short. To look for signings is something of a panic.

There have been one or two recent leaks that we are enquiring about (Scandinavian) players. If these are true it may be that we are merely making contingency plans, or that we have specific needs in mind. In addition what may happen to the players on loan? Ayala is due back soon. Is he seen as someone we want long term, of do we unload him immediately, and sign someone?

I see four things happening IMO.

A good #10 to come in who can also play forward. Quags back up if you will.

A good CB to come in to play along side Ryan and push bass and turner

Becchio to be sold/loaned

and - something that will prove to be an unpopular opinion (This is what I think will happen, not what I want to happen.) Hoolahan will be sold

[quote user="Canary On The Wire"]Personally, if Chris has got a decent wad of cash left over ( 10m ish) I''d like to see us go for Yevhen Konoplyanka. He''s a wonderfully talented, two footed winger who can beat a man, and with Pilkington sadly (but fittingly) appearing to be made of glass, he would be a perfect acquisition on the left wing. Top Ukrainian sides have decent finances, so we''d probably be looking at £10m or slightly more to get him. It could be argued that the no.10 position is a little more pressing, however- but with Konoplyanka''s ball control, movement and vision, I reckon a front 3 (if Hoots goes back to the 4-3-3 which is far superior to the 4-4-2 which didn''t really work against West Ham (yes, we were excellent in the second half, but if we press that high for 90 mins our midfield will get destroyed, we aren''t Borussia Dortmund) of Konoplyanka, RvW, Snodgrass could be absolutely devastating- and if we do go 4-4-2 again, Konoplyanka could play off Elmander''s knock downs with Ricky and Hooper as impact subs. Of course, if Pilkington could stay fit for five minutes, we could just buy an out and out AM, but i think we should be looking to spend decent money on a player who can do both jobs, and for me the Ukrainian is that man.[/quote]

The Ukrainian is mentioned in The Guardian''s piece today on potential January "bargains", most of whom would apparently cost as much as or more than our current record transfer fee...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/nov/14/transfer-window-premier-league-january-targets

[quote user="Salopian"]

Much will surely depend on what happens in the games between now and the end of December:

Any further injuries of more than a week or two.

A string of defeats (= bolster the team) or progress with wins (= risk things and go with what we have, and build in the summer.)

Persistent poor form of players - e.g. Seb, which heaven forbid.

January signings are often very expensive - the selling club knows you are desperate as a buyer, and they are not going to part with very good players unless they feel sure they can replace them - the trading period is so short. To look for signings is something of a panic.

There have been one or two recent leaks that we are enquiring about (Scandinavian) players. If these are true it may be that we are merely making contingency plans, or that we have specific needs in mind. In addition what may happen to the players on loan? Ayala is due back soon. Is he seen as someone we want long term, of do we unload him immediately, and sign someone?

[/quote]

Not to mention who the manager is.

Could do with another midfielder. Losing Howson or Fer for anything length of time would be a bit of a disaster. Though slightly less so when Tettey comes back.

A centreback too but again it''s tricky signing someone who knows they could well be backup to Bassong/Turner - unless you''re spending a lot of money to buy an upgrade.

We desperately need a top quality defensive midfielder IMHO. Someone who would allow Fer and Howson to take on the attacking midfielder role more effectively.

I think another player of the quality of Fer would be vital....someone with class who can get stuck in as well... and there''s no reason why they couldn''t play together. We have a good DCM in the form of Tettey, and Johnson is capable of playing that role. He just needs to not shoot from 30 yards every time...leave that to Howson!

We desperately need a top quality defensive midfielder IMHO. Someone who would allow Fer and Howson to take on the attacking midfielder role more effectively.

I agree. Norwich''s main problems over the last few years have all stemmed from the limitations of central midfield. Fer was one half of the solution, but he needs a top class partner

A quality centre back and a creative attacking midfielder, the upgrade to Wes as it were, I think we might very well see his departure is a decent offer is made.