Sign in to follow this  
Buh

Hodgson: call up Howson

Walker and gerrard pull a sick note as expected

Wilshire his usual crippled self

Why not give howson a call up, we should be trying new players not giving the guaranteed players for Brazil time.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]Lallana will get a call up before Howson does

[/quote]

Lallana is already in the squad...

[/quote]Oh that is very good news. Had 10/1 for him to be in the squad a few weeks back. Lovely.

Team* But I agree Howson''s form has been very good recently.Unsure if he''s a big enough name for the squad though unfortunatelyThe problem with England, a lot of it has to do with how media famous you are

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]Team*

But I agree Howson''s form has been very good recently.

Unsure if he''s a big enough name for the squad though unfortunately

The problem with England, a lot of it has to do with how media famous you are
[/quote]

Yes and no.

The three Southampton players aren''t particulary famous but have all got places on merit - I do feel Hodgson is prepared to give players a go. I think for Howson to get a call up though it would take Norwich performing better - don''t think Hodgson has been to any Norwich games so far this season.

I see no merit in any City players being involved in Mickey Mouse footballthere are good reasons why other players and clubs find reasons (injuries) for avoiding such nonsense

I''m not saying "get howson on the plane" but these friendlies we need to be trying things out, experimenting with players and not just pandering to the usual lot.

The u21s have some important fixtures, so I think they should stay there and I believe south gate feels the same

Wilshire is recovering from an ankle, apparently fat frank has bed recovering from a virus.

Howson could come in and do a job. We should be looking at players and keeping our options open.

[quote user="Buh"]I''m not saying "get howson on the plane" but these friendlies we need to be trying things out, experimenting with players and not just pandering to the usual lot. The u21s have some important fixtures, so I think they should stay there and I believe south gate feels the same Wilshire is recovering from an ankle, apparently fat frank has bed recovering from a virus. Howson could come in and do a job. We should be looking at players and keeping our options open.[/quote]

True, but the point of friendlies is also to let the team who will be in Brazil play some time together and build an understanding. International football is always a tough mix of immediate team building, but also developing for tournaments in 2 or 4 years.

No point picking Howson if he isn''t in serious contention for a place for Brazil.

Also true but we don''t know where we will be in terms of players available next year.

I have no issue with the main and expected team playing together next year but until then we should be exploring options.

Was really pleased to see lallana get a call, always rated him highly from te league one days.

[quote user="City1st"]I see no merit in any City players being involved in Mickey Mouse footballthere are good reasons why other players and clubs find reasons (injuries) for avoiding such nonsense

[/quote]

A couple clubs do that. And they are normally injured. Most of the players, with England at least, that pull out due to injury from international friendlies are frequently struggling with injury anyway.

There are very good reasons to want our players to play for their country, friendly or otherwise. I''ve always found it just plain silly that people don''t want the players they support week in week out achieving something bigger. Why do you think players like Martin & Pilks have chosen to play for Scotland and Ireland? Its not for money is it...

Howson is probably my favourite city player, but unfortunately taking off the yellow and green specs, he isn''t quite international quality. Like Nicko said, there are a lot of players of similar quality across the league. I''d be less surprised to see Nathan bumped up to the full squad, than if Howson was selected.

[quote user="Nicko"]Villa fans feel the same about Delph.[/quote]

Yup. Been Villa''s POTS so far. Much like Howson has been ours.

The two former Leeds players.

[quote user="SeattleCanary"]Howson is probably my favourite city player, but unfortunately taking off the yellow and green specs, he isn''t quite international quality. Like Nicko said, there are a lot of players of similar quality across the league. I''d be less surprised to see Nathan bumped up to the full squad, than if Howson was selected.[/quote]

Well what is international quality?

I mean Howson is proving himself to be a good player in the Premier League - the best league in the world. A lot of players at international level do not play at that kind of standard domestically.

Obviously Germany and Spain etc have some outstanding players but I don''t see that Howson wouldn''t be able to compete with the lesser nations and even against the top ones. In the Premier League he''s coming up against some of the very best players around and he''s doing well.

He''s got a lot going for him as a player.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="SeattleCanary"]Howson is probably my favourite city player, but unfortunately taking off the yellow and green specs, he isn''t quite international quality. Like Nicko said, there are a lot of players of similar quality across the league. I''d be less surprised to see Nathan bumped up to the full squad, than if Howson was selected.[/quote]

Well what is international quality?

I mean Howson is proving himself to be a good player in the Premier League - the best league in the world. A lot of players at international level do not play at that kind of standard domestically.

Obviously Germany and Spain etc have some outstanding players but I don''t see that Howson wouldn''t be able to compete with the lesser nations and even against the top ones. In the Premier League he''s coming up against some of the very best players around and he''s doing well.

He''s got a lot going for him as a player.

[/quote]
Good question GJP. I honestly am not sure what Hodgson is looking for in a potential international. Did Howson ever represent England at the under levels?
Would the national team need to adopt a specific system to suit him? As far as CM go we have;
Gerrard
Lampard 
Barry 
Lallana 
Delph? 
Rodwell 
Wilshere 
Carrick 
Huddlestone? -  I know Huddlestone is as likely as Livermore (so unlikely) but they have been a big part of Hull''s good start to the season.
Cleverley 
J. Henderson 
Barkley 
I think Jordan Mutch has been exemplary for Cardiff too.
Then you have Tom Carroll coming through, as well as Ravel Morrisson and Ward-Prowse at Saints.
Obviously these are covering CAM, CM and CDM positions, but either way its central midfield and there aren''t that many spots. As I see said a lot on here big John would probably, sadly, considered even more valuable to England if he had chosen to warm Chelski''s bench over first team action for us.
If you class Howson as a CAM, which I''m not sure he is an out and out CAM, then he is competing with Barkley, Cleverley and Lallana at present. If we aren''t playing a system for a player in the hole then who in that list do you realistically see him getting in ahead of?
Would love to see him selected btw but I wonder if as said before, if our poor start to the season hasn''t helped him.

*I meant to add to the point about Ruddy warming Chelski''s bench, that the bigger teams even when their players aren''t getting first team action are likely to get picked over players playing for NCFC. So Howson already has an up hill battle on his hands by being an NCFC player and not from Swanselona or the mighty Saints.

I tend to disagree that the bigger teams players outside of the first team stand a better chance of being selected than those in City''s first eleven. As long as a player is a regular in the team of any of the Premier League club and also playing to a high standard, then he must stand a better chance of selection than a player not playing in the first eleven of any other team. A player who has recently dropped out of a bigger clubs team or is in and out will I agree stand a good chance of being selected, particularly if they have been a regular previously and part of the England set-up, but to get into the squad first time being a regular is key as is proven by John Ruddy, I feel he wouldnt have made the squad warming the bench at Chelsea and away from England''s goalkeeping coach. Howson really cant be far away for consideration, but as pointed out there is plenty of competition, so he will have to be exceptional week in week out just like any other player. 

First of all, let me put in a disclaimer in that I dont go to matches, and so consequently completely accept that there are certain things about a player that you cant appreciate via the TV/stream (for instance his movement, vision, reading of the game), but I have to say I am rather surprised at the recent platitudes for Howson. I know his scoring record has been pretty good of late and that he appears (apart from Redmond) to be our only real long range threat, but aside from that I havent really felt his performances have been at all remarkable. I certainly havent been wowed by him. if you were to put a youtube compilation together of his best bits, starting from the West Brom game last season, Im sure he''d look pretty good, but my overwhelming feeling from watchin him this season is he seems rather anonymous most of the time. Games seem to pass him by and he rarely seems to get involved. Have seen him make the odd tackle and he is definitely more effective playing further forward than the centre-mid birth (he is so not a central midfielder, I hope he never plays in central midfield ever again) but Im just surprised by the recent acclaim.

As I say, I fully accept I cant appreciate everything that goes on if Im not at a game, but Iv watched every game he''s played since we signed him via stream, and whilst I accept he''s improved from last season, Im still yet to be convinced he''s Premiership quality (and I was a big fan of his before we signed him) except for the odd flash. Perfectly happy for someone to correct me by giving their opinion, just stating my surprise 

I have to half agree with this. If there is any area of the pitch where England do not lack quality players it is centre midfield. Howson probably has a chance if can keep up his current level of performances and keeps scoring goals this season.

Could also add Westwood, Delph, Noble, Nolan, and numerous other mid-table centre midfielders who will struggle to ever get England caps due to superior players like Wilshere and Barkley coming through.

No shortage of English centre midfielders.... or wingers actually.... just a shortage of quality centre backs and strikers.

Not sure what happened there, I was quoting Seattle Canary, I agree with him. Howson has a chance if he can keep up his current level of performances over a long period of time but people always talk about a lack of English players in the Premier League..... but there is no shortage of quality centre midfielders, must be the position with the most strength in depth for England.

no chance will he get a call up average player who has a shot from distance every now and than.