Sign in to follow this  
Brightside

Has today's game changed your opinion of Hughton?

So those that wanted Hughton out after the Man City game, have you now changed your mind?

For me after Man City I wanted him out but after today I am starting to climb back on the fence. For starters we got the win and the three points we desperately needed. Our second half performance was great and some players really showed passion and desire.

On the negative side the starting line up and tactics were very poor. Why Redmond didn''t start is a mystery for me. We defended far too deep and invited West Ham forward resulting in their goal. Two of our goals were from dead balls so I still have major concerns about us being able to score from open play.

I''ld like to think that the second half was down to a motivational speach from Hughton but part of me is thinking back to the West Brom and Man City games last season and the players doing it for themselves.

So as I stand today if he goes I won''t be disappointed and would be happy for him to stay on the provision we get at least 4 points from our next 2 games.

I was concerned that the players weren''t playing for him, but the second half performance has reassured me on this point.I would still like to see a positive performance away at Toon and a home win against Palace to fully convince me we''re on the way to recovery.

Agree with all of that Morty.

Was worried about him losing the players after last week, even more so at half time, but that 2nd half performance and in particular the celebration of Fer''s goal have assured me that I was way off the mark.

He got it horribly wrong in the first half, but the changes he made at half time won us the game. Credit where it''s due.

As someone who was well happy with the appointment of CH at the outset, after watching tonights performance I am now convinced that it will be only a matter of years before the club and fans will be convinced that NCFC can be convinced that they can be an established Premier League club under uncle Chris''s leadership...

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Agree with all of that Morty.

Was worried about him losing the players after last week, even more so at half time, but that 2nd half performance and in particular the celebration of Fer''s goal have assured me that I was way off the mark.

He got it horribly wrong in the first half, but the changes he made at half time won us the game. Credit where it''s due.[/quote]I don''t think he got anything horribly wrong at all, I just think the players were as nervous as we were. You could visibly see their confidence grow with each goal we scored.Did he make changes at half time?

[quote user="lincoln canary"]I think he needs an extended run of positive results to win fans over. He was one game from the sack tonight. I think it''s going to take a huge effort to win the majority over. It could take months.[/quote]Some will never be happy, eh?

My opinion will improve when we start performing away from home, we all know we can do it at home. Credit to Hughton today probably the first time I feel half time team talk made a difference and big result under a lot of pressure together with some brave decision making. However he''ll stay under pressure game to game while we perform so woeful away from home and we can''t keep edging from must win home game to must win home game.

I have said and still say that the best outcome for NCFC would be for Hughton to succeed.

I don''t rate him as manager, believe he is a coach, but Norwich City and it''s supporters matter more than my vindication.

All you fans who have stuck going to games deserve to enjoy every moment of this result. It reminds me of beating Everton at home last season. Suddenly the play unleashed the crowd and transformed the atmosphere into a virtuous circle. This has to happen more often.

What I applaud Hughton for tonight is his dignity over the result. I do not want another crowing tweet from McNally or players showing dissent to the fans because they have a lot to prove and make up for before they get on their high horses.

I thought our tactic of playing 4 in midfield against their 5 or 6 and not pressing them was a big error. We barely got a kick for a large chunk of that half and it was very laboured and lathargic when we did. That was as poor as I''d seen us play at home in some time.

Thought the back 4 played further up the pitch and the front 2 were a little deeper 2nd half and we just generally got in their faces and didn''t let them have the time that we did in the first half. Howson was much more involved in the 2nd half and was unlucky not to walk off with the Champagne in my opinion.

We were absolutely dreadful for most of the game so no.

The old problems are still there and they don''t go away.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]I thought our tactic of playing 4 in midfield against their 5 or 6 and not pressing them was a big error. We barely got a kick for a large chunk of that half and it was very laboured and lathargic when we did. That was as poor as I''d seen us play at home in some time.

Thought the back 4 played further up the pitch and the front 2 were a little deeper 2nd half and we just generally got in their faces and didn''t let them have the time that we did in the first half. Howson was much more involved in the 2nd half and was unlucky not to walk off with the Champagne in my opinion.[/quote]Fair enough[Y]I noticed the difference after we got the first goal, it seemed like a weight off the players shoulders and they gained about 10% performance.

After ''that'' game a target of 6pts over the next 3 games was essential. A draw against Newcastle and a win against Crystal Palace would be brilliant.

I too was starting to doubt CH''s ability to lead the club after the MCFC thrashing. But as the week went on, I cooled off and put the loss in perspective...it was a bad loss, but whether we lost 1-0 or 7-0 didn''t really matter. We were never going to win. Still, it was a very ugly game.

After today, I''m back in CH''s corner. The team looked better right away in the second half. You could see him URGING them forward in the first. He knew they were playing in their heads and he was trying his utmost to break that. Whatever he said in the locker room had an impact.

We won today. We put three quality goals past a team that hasn''t let many goals in this season. If you''re a real fan, you''re happy today. In other words, maybe three or four people on this message board are happy today.

CH IN!

Confidence is everything, you could see in the 1st half we were totally devoid of any and it was painful to watch we were an embarrassment. whatever your preconceptions and feelings before a game it all goes out of the window and you just want to feel proud of your team once your at the ground.  The penalty changed everything and suddenly confidence was flowing through us we were knocking it about and west ham looked the team in trouble.Problem is the manager needs to install confidence in his players not hope an event on the pitch galvanises them, i''m well pleased with the win and it would be best all round if hughton could do it but i am always expecting a cowardly gutless performance around the corner, Not being as good as another team is acceptable but waving the white flag at any given time isn''t, it will take a long time to trust hughton again..

I think you will find if you watch the replays , that it was not Hughton that the players  ran to celebrate with , it was Bassong !

Also , even the commentators  questioned why Hooper was taken off leaving Elmander ?

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Agree with all of that Morty.

He got it horribly wrong in the first half, but the changes he made at half time won us the game. Credit where it''s due.[/quote]

Still needs time. Ride the bad times and the good times will come. It''s still a decent squad and taking time to click.

We''ve played well (forget Man City, they are on a roll) in previous games, lost badly in the final quarter but the football in itself is encouraging.

Shame about a break next week as we could build on as the confidence came back after the penalty. Takes something to kick start and that could be it.

How about a conspiracy theory?

Bassong was dropped today for telling Hughton what he and the team really thought of his sh!te tactics during training this week and at half time when Hughton and his coaches were fretting in the tunnel, Bassong, like a vengeful God strode forth into the dressing room and roused his battered and dispirited comrades with a team - talk so emotionally powerful and eloquently delivered it raised them up and sent them back out with courage in their minds and hope in their hearts.

And the rest is history.

I''d have thought it was fairly obvious why Hooper went off?

1: He was kanckered

2: We were expecting West Ham to throw the kitchen sink at us and Elmander can hold up the ball better.

Don''t see what was wrong with that change.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]How about a conspiracy theory?

Bassong was dropped today for telling Hughton what he and the team really thought of his sh!te tactics during training this week and at half time when Hughton and his coaches were fretting in the tunnel, Bassong, like a vengeful God strode forth into the dressing room and roused his battered and dispirited comrades with a team - talk so emotionally powerful and eloquently delivered it raised them up and sent them back out with courage in their minds and hope in their hearts.

And the rest is history.[/quote]I expect this will be the received wisdom before the week is out[:D]

[quote user="lincoln canary"]I think he needs an extended run of positive results to win fans over. He was one game from the sack tonight. I think it''s going to take a huge effort to win the majority over. It could take months.[/quote]

My impression from looking around me today is that the majority of fans are well disposed to Hughton and want him to succeed. Everyone I talked to recognises the reality of the task he fades in this league. The ground was buzzing at the end of the game.

It is the noisy minority who will require a huge effort to be won over as the many mean spirited comments on here this evening and earlier on Canary Call attest.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"][quote user="lincoln canary"]I think he needs an extended run of positive results to win fans over. He was one game from the sack tonight. I think it''s going to take a huge effort to win the majority over. It could take months.[/quote]

My impression from looking around me today is that the majority of fans are well disposed to Hughton and want him to succeed. Everyone I talked to recognises the reality of the task he fades in this league. The ground was buzzing at the end of the game.

It is the noisy minority who will require a huge effort to be won over as the many mean spirited comments on here this evening and earlier on Canary Call attest.[/quote][Y]All things considered, I''m surprised the atmosphere in the ground at the half time whistle wasn''t worse.And I never heard any boos whatsoever during play.Seems to me , at least amongst people who go to games, there isn''t a majority that want him out.

Morty             i think even on here its been pretty much agreed that come saturday the only thing we can do is get behind the team, and i think that was pretty much the case throughout, i wouldn''t say that means everyone is behind hughton but i would say that most would prefer him to succeed [:D]