Sign in to follow this  
tom cavendish

Becchio

Last season, Becchio scored 20 goals (including goals against Chelsea, Hull, Southampton and Crystal Palace) for Leeds prior to signing for Norwich in January. He can also be good at spotting a pass to create chances for others. I am surprised that Becchio didn''t come on as a sub v Man Utd rather than risk injury to Hooper.

As a sub? Should have started for me instead of Elmander, who in all honesty did little, but again had no service.

He is a goal scorer , a good link player and can hold the ball up well. Just the things we need .. Why isn''t he getting a chance it''s a joke ... !! He should have started instead of wes who looked so ineffective apart from running around a lot !!

I actually feel as bad about this player as I have any player who has signed for a club. I''m sure when he signed he expected to at least get a few chances to show he can play. If it was to get Morison off the books surely it would have been better to have just sold Morison for a token sum than bring in a player who you have no intention of even giving a game to.

I am with Yellowbeagle, clear to me that CH just does not rate Becchio, so why on earth bring him in. I am embarrased by the way Becchio has been treated, the guy needs to be given a fair chance, the cup game against man utd should have ben an ideal opprtunity.....

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]I am with Yellowbeagle, clear to me that CH just does not rate Becchio, so why on earth bring him in. I am embarrased by the way Becchio has been treated, the guy needs to be given a fair chance, the cup game against man utd should have ben an ideal opprtunity.....[/quote]We had no choice, we were desperate to get Morison off the books as quickly as possible.The fact remains though that if had shown the manager enough in training to warrant getting a game, I''m fairly sure he would have got one.These conspiracy theories that managers leave great players unused, for no good reason, are laughable.

Becchio has been treated shabbily, I find it very hard to believe that with a professional record like he has he is not showing in training.

You don''t bring in players that you don''t rate unless there is someone else pulling the strings or, you have made a big error of judgement.

I don''t think it''s a case of for no good reason.  Well not in the eyes of the manager.  The manager may THINK they are no good or they just don''t see eye to eye or have had a falling out, the manager may not be able to handle their personality, or whatever

But, there are plenty of examples where a player has struggled under one manager but been successful under another.

Mourinho doesn''t rate Lukaku, but look at him.  And on the subject of Mourinho, he has Torres playing like a world beater again.  Lambert for example got players playing in the Prem and surviving fairly commfortably that would have struggled to make Championship starting 11''s under other managers.........

Morty - I find it hard to believe that Leeds would have insisted Becchio was part of the deal. If we were that desperate to get rid of Morison we could have let him go for a nominal fee. If Becchio has not shown enough in training why was he not sold in the summer?......

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]

Morty - I find it hard to believe that Leeds would have insisted Becchio was part of the deal. If we were that desperate to get rid of Morison we could have let him go for a nominal fee. If Becchio has not shown enough in training why was he not sold in the summer?......

[/quote]I have been told, on good authority, that we would have done absolutely ANYTHING to get shot of Morison.The rest the conspiracy theorists will have to make up themselves.I have no idea what length of contract Becchio is on, maybe that is an issue.But for Becchio read David Fox, Wes Hoolahan etc. When we are playing badly a lot of people grasp onto something like this and see it as an answer. And invariably the cold hard truth of it is, the player isn''t just quite good enough perhaps.

All of our strikers have struggled playing under Chris Hughton.  Becchio is no different.   But to not even be given the pointless 87th minute substitute spot shows he''s never going to play.As others have alluded to, it''s bizarre that Becchio wasn''t moved on in the summer if he wasn''t considered good enough even for a league cup match, when a kid like Murphy is.Hughton seems to have a touch of the Roeders about him when it comes to freezing out players.  Must take its toll on both the individual players and the squad''s morale.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]I am with Yellowbeagle, clear to me that CH just does not rate Becchio, so why on earth bring him in. I am embarrased by the way Becchio has been treated, the guy needs to be given a fair chance, the cup game against man utd should have ben an ideal opprtunity.....[/quote]

We had no choice, we were desperate to get Morison off the books as quickly as possible.

The fact remains though that if had shown the manager enough in training to warrant getting a game, I''m fairly sure he would have got one.

These conspiracy theories that managers leave great players unused, for no good reason, are laughable.
[/quote]

But isn''t the idea we wanted to get Morison off the books that desperately your own conspiracy theory? Either way i''m sure had Leeds sold Becchio they could have afford say 200K for Morison and we wouldn''t need to be paying Becchio wages.

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]I am with Yellowbeagle, clear to me that CH just does not rate Becchio, so why on earth bring him in. I am embarrased by the way Becchio has been treated, the guy needs to be given a fair chance, the cup game against man utd should have ben an ideal opprtunity.....[/quote]We had no choice, we were desperate to get Morison off the books as quickly as possible.The fact remains though that if had shown the manager enough in training to warrant getting a game, I''m fairly sure he would have got one.These conspiracy theories that managers leave great players unused, for no good reason, are laughable.[/quote]

But isn''t the idea we wanted to get Morison off the books that desperately your own conspiracy theory? Either way i''m sure had Leeds sold Becchio they could have afford say 200K for Morison and we wouldn''t need to be paying Becchio wages.

[/quote]Mainly because its not a conspiracy theory, it was told to me by someone from the club, and I have no reason to doubt it.

I''m yet to see Elmander do anything that Becchio couldn''t. Which makes Elmander look like a waste of money.

If you look at what Becchio did in his limited playing time last season it''s very hard to see where Elmander has been an improvement on that.

Elmander was terrific against Bury and since then his contribution has been average at best.

Morty - Why are you suggesting a conspiracy theory?. If, as you say you were told, the club would have done absolutely anything to get Morison off the books, they could have sold him to Leeds for a nominal fee, without the need for Becchio to move to Norwich, unless it was Leeds who insisted Becchio should be part of the deal, which is highly unlikely. Becchio has been an unused sub a few times, begs the question why waste a place on the bench for somebody you feel is not up to the job?. Last night appeared to be an ideal game for Becchio to get some game time, but for whatever reason that did not happen. No conspiracy theory Morty, just utter bemusement at the whole situation on my part.......

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]Morty - Why are you suggesting a conspiracy theory?. If, as you say you were told, the club would have done absolutely anything to get Morison off the books, they could have sold him to Leeds for a nominal fee, without the need for Becchio to move to Norwich, unless it was Leeds who insisted Becchio should be part of the deal, which is highly unlikely. Becchio has been an unused sub a few times, begs the question why waste a place on the bench for somebody you feel is not up to the job?. Last night appeared to be an ideal game for Becchio to get some game time, but for whatever reason that did not happen. No conspiracy theory Morty, just utter bemusement at the whole situation on my part.......[/quote]I agree, I am bemused myself, in theory it could have worked out well here for Becchio, there is no doubting the quality he has shown, albeit in the Championship.Whether Leeds or the player himself insisted on the move I have no idea, but it wouldn''t be out of the question, when seeing a new striker coming in, for Becchio to have seized the moment, and manipulated his move to a Premier league club, and a big payrise into the bargain.Last time I saw Becchio play, in a cup game, he frankly couldn''t have looked less interested.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Yellowbeagle"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]I am with Yellowbeagle, clear to me that CH just does not rate Becchio, so why on earth bring him in. I am embarrased by the way Becchio has been treated, the guy needs to be given a fair chance, the cup game against man utd should have ben an ideal opprtunity.....[/quote]

We had no choice, we were desperate to get Morison off the books as quickly as possible.

The fact remains though that if had shown the manager enough in training to warrant getting a game, I''m fairly sure he would have got one.

These conspiracy theories that managers leave great players unused, for no good reason, are laughable.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Mainly because its not a conspiracy theory, it was told to me by someone from the club, and I have no reason to doubt it.
[/quote]

Unless it was told by senior management, first team coaches or the manager himself it remains a conspiracy. Work places are full of people spouting off ideas about why this is happening and why that happened, they very rarely are they truly fully in the know.

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Yellowbeagle"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]I am with Yellowbeagle, clear to me that CH just does not rate Becchio, so why on earth bring him in. I am embarrased by the way Becchio has been treated, the guy needs to be given a fair chance, the cup game against man utd should have ben an ideal opprtunity.....[/quote]We had no choice, we were desperate to get Morison off the books as quickly as possible.The fact remains though that if had shown the manager enough in training to warrant getting a game, I''m fairly sure he would have got one.These conspiracy theories that managers leave great players unused, for no good reason, are laughable.[/quote]

[/quote]Mainly because its not a conspiracy theory, it was told to me by someone from the club, and I have no reason to doubt it.[/quote]

Unless it was told by senior management, first team coaches or the manager himself it remains a conspiracy. Work places are full of people spouting off ideas about why this is happening and why that happened, they very rarely are they truly fully in the know.

[/quote]I wasn''t trying to be some Billy Big b0ll0cks saying "I know something you don''t" more pointing out that there is something amiss with the whole thing, rather than the alternative conspiracy theory of Hughton just doesn''t like the guy, and refuses to play him.

I thought our cup games would have been the perfect oppotunity to play Becchio and we had absolutely nothing to lose by doing do so if he played badly he could have been subbed, but if he played well and scored then he becomes an option to use especially as we are not currently scoring many goals.

A whisper in his ear telling him that you know he has the ability to score and he has done it before against the bigger clubs and always played well whilst at Leeds during their cup games, also tell him that you want him to make it differcult for future selections of games.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Yellowbeagle"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Yellowbeagle"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Mainly because its not a conspiracy theory, it was told to me by someone from the club, and I have no reason to doubt it.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I wasn''t trying to be some Billy Big b0ll0cks saying "I know something you don''t" more pointing out that there is something amiss with the whole thing, rather than the alternative conspiracy theory of Hughton just doesn''t like the guy, and refuses to play him.

[/quote]

But Hughton does refuse to play him.  So what could be amiss?

I have to agree Elmander hasn''t impressed so far , as a goal scorer he''s looked totally unconvincing.

Becchio hasn''t really impressed either; neither has had many chances.

Hughton clearly has him as our fourth choice striker which is why Elmander started ahead of him last night. You need a 4th choice striker in a Prem squad but he''s going to be lucky to get much playing time, that''s just how it is.

Bottom line NBS, he isn''t good enough for the Premiership, or for playing Premiership standard teams in cup competitions.The plain fact is that managers do not leave good players out of teams.

Fair enough Morty. I''m just shocked the club wasted resources on a player who the manager obviously doesn''t feel is up to it. I also feel it''s unfair on the player himself who hasn''t in all honesty been given a real chance. In truth Becchio was probably a panic buy, but seeing as Hughton''s transfer activity is by all accounts pretty good, I guess this is where the conspiracy theories come from.

I seem to recall reading an extract from Warnock''s autobiography in some rag where he claimed that Becchio had asked to leave as he felt with his age it was his last shot at the Prem, Warnock felt his performances and attitude were suffering so decided to offload him. He enquired about the availability of Morison as a replacement but Hughton told him that he wouldn''t let him go unless he could find a suitable replacement. The penny dropped that a swap could be on the cards but Warnock didn''t want to suggest it as it might weaken his bargaining position so he got someone he knew well who also knew Hughton to drop the suggestion to him. Hughton went for it and the swap plus cash deal went ahead.

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]Fair enough Morty. I''m just shocked the club wasted resources on a player who the manager obviously doesn''t feel is up to it. I also feel it''s unfair on the player himself who hasn''t in all honesty been given a real chance. In truth Becchio was probably a panic buy, but seeing as Hughton''s transfer activity is by all accounts pretty good, I guess this is where the conspiracy theories come from.[/quote]I think "Panic buy" probably sums it up nicely[Y]

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

I seem to recall reading an extract from Warnock''s autobiography in some rag where he claimed that Becchio had asked to leave as he felt with his age it was his last shot at the Prem, Warnock felt his performances and attitude were suffering so decided to offload him. He enquired about the availability of Morison as a replacement but Hughton told him that he wouldn''t let him go unless he could find a suitable replacement. The penny dropped that a swap could be on the cards but Warnock didn''t want to suggest it as it might weaken his bargaining position so he got someone he knew well who also knew Hughton to drop the suggestion to him. Hughton went for it and the swap plus cash deal went ahead.

[/quote]Sounds pretty plausible[Y]

The way that Becchio is being treated , must make it more difficult to sign new players in the future. Will any agent attempt to convince his client to sign for Norwich, only to see him become a bench warmer ?. In truth I blame the transfer window, it''s like going to Sainsburys just before they close on Christmas eve. Players are bought/sold without consideration just to make up numbers.

[quote user="Devils Advocate."]The way that Becchio is being treated , must make it more difficult to sign new players in the future. Will any agent attempt to convince his client to sign for Norwich, only to see him become a bench warmer ?. In truth I blame the transfer window, it''s like going to Sainsburys just before they close on Christmas eve. Players are bought/sold without consideration just to make up numbers.[/quote]Yes, poor Luciano, earning his thousands of pounds every week.[:(]

Devils advocate. The agent will probably try and convince his clients to go to whoever pays the most. It''s all about the money for most agent''s and if the player ends up on the bench he might get another pay day sooner rather than later when the player moves again. Win Win for the agent.

I admire Becchio for remaining tight-lipped and retaining his dignity.......Other out of favours squeal like spoilt brats.....