Sign in to follow this  
Juggy

Chris Hughton Is An Excellent Manager

And I would be devastated if our brainless fans drove him out of the club during this transition period, just as he transforms us into a true Premier League class team.
My question to your pitchfork wielding mouth breathing yokels is what it would take for you to lay off him. The downfall of this club will be the fans, the fans I tell you.
Don''t expect McNally to stick around if he feels forced to do something that he doesn''t want to.

I can''t speak for everyone but I''d like to see the most expensive squad of footballers this club has ever assembled create some chances, score some goals, win some games of football and get out of the bottom 3.

I know. I''m an unreasonable bastard aren''t I.

"The downfall of this club will be the fans" ............correct and well said, but many just dont get it and simply think the rest of us (the majority) are a bunch of happy clappers who wouldnt have a word said against the Board or Management, which just isnt true! OTBC

He needs to start proving it, starting against Cardiff. The OTT whining after losing to Arsenal has got me bewildered, its the next few home games that are make or break.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]I can''t speak for everyone but I''d like to see the most expensive squad of footballers this club has ever assembled create some chances, score some goals, win some games of football and get out of the bottom 3.

I know. I''m an unreasonable bastard aren''t I.[/quote]
"Win some games of football", right because we don''t do that?
We have played 4 of last seasons top 6 in our first 8 games. How many more wins do you expect? 
Hull was a disappointment, but Stoke away was an excellent unexpected win and made up for that. The Southampton win now looks like a terrific one.
We now go into a run of 5 games which include 3 winnable home games, can you honestly see us coming out of that 5 games without a couple of wins? 
Go and look at the league table, 6 of the 8 teams that we played are in the top half of the table. We have 3 points out of the other 2 games. 
It doesn''t make you an unreasonable bastard to expect us to beat Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham, it makes you an idiot. 

We''ve got 7 points. 8 games played, so now we need at least 33 points from 30 games. Our last 4 games are against so called bigger teams, who will all be playing for something at that point, so let''s assume we''re getting no points from those. That means we need a minimum of 33 points from 26 games. We haven''t accumulated anything like that in the last 26 games, so I think we''ll end up going down. If you think we''re going to he unbeaten in 10 again this year, an take 22 points from 30, you''re delusional. If we manage this, I''ll be happy, but I cant see it. Losing to arsenal and Chelsea will make no difference, but the results we''ve had vs Hull and Villa are 6 points we''ve lost, and it''s our fault.

[quote user="Buzz Killington"]We''ve got 7 points. 8 games played, so now we need at least 33 points from 30 games. [/quote]
When was the last time a team needed 40 points to stay up? We have got more than 33 points in our final 30 games for each of the past two seasons. 
[quote] Our last 4 games are against so called bigger teams [/quote]
Hughton''s record against the big 6 or 7 was better than twice as good as Lambert''s in the season before. 
[quote] who will all be playing for something at that point [/quote]
How can you be so sure? Man City weren''t last game of season, they couldn''t move in the table. 
[quote]  so let''s assume we''re getting no points from those. [/quote]
Right let''s just assume that we will get 0 points against four teams, two of whom we took points from last season and all four of whom we have taken points from in the past two seasons. I have a better idea "let''s not". 
[quote] That means we need a minimum of 33 points from 26 games. [/quote]
No it doesn''t, for numerous reasons, you moron. 
[quote]  We haven''t accumulated anything like that in the last 26 games, so I think we''ll end up going down. [/quote] 
Last 26 games in total, or last 26 games against clubs not including big 7 teams? You have hugely warped logic. So let''s take into consideration points from our last 26 games against all teams, to work out how many points we will take against our remaining games minus 4 games against big teams? Ridiculous.
[quote]  but the results we''ve had vs Hull and Villa are 6 points we''ve lost, and it''s our fault.[/quote]
What was Stoke away then? Points gained? 
Do you have some sort of justgiving page so that we can help you buy spare boxer shorts and packs of huggies? 

[quote user="Buzz Killington"]We''ve got 7 points. 8 games played, so now we need at least 33 points from 30 games. Our last 4 games are against so called bigger teams, who will all be playing for something at that point, so let''s assume we''re getting no points from those. That means we need a minimum of 33 points from 26 games. We haven''t accumulated anything like that in the last 26 games, so I think we''ll end up going down. If you think we''re going to he unbeaten in 10 again this year, an take 22 points from 30, you''re delusional. If we manage this, I''ll be happy, but I cant see it. Losing to arsenal and Chelsea will make no difference, but the results we''ve had vs Hull and Villa are 6 points we''ve lost, and it''s our fault.[/quote]
Crystal Palace, Sunderland, Cardiff, Hull, Norwich, Stoke, Fulham, West Ham.
These are the 8 teams that the bookies think are relegation candidates. 
We have played none of these teams at home. We have played two of them away, and have beat one of them - an actual away win against a relegation rival. 
We have 12 games left against our 7 most likely relegation rivals. Even going by our current 1.5 points per game against relegation rivals, despite not playing any of them at home, that would give us 21 points out of the 14 games in total. With us yet to play any at home, I think we could see 25+ points from these 14 games alone. 
Hull was a bad result, we will beat them at home. 
It is almost as if Norwich fans can only see points and position, and aren''t capable of processing thought with any other considerations at all, like relative standard of opposition.
You are arguing a lack of points at the end of the season due to standard of opposition but are completely unwilling to acknowledge the relatively high standard of opposition in 6 of our first 8 games. 
By November 30th many will start to look a bit stupid and you will be one of them. 

Mr Brownstone wrote :

"I can''t speak for everyone but I''d like to see the most expensive squad of footballers this club has ever assembled create some chances, score some goals, win some games of football and get out of the bottom 3.

I know. I''m an unreasonable bastard aren''t I. "

You are looking at NCFC in isolation. We are in competition with teams who can spend more on one player than our entire squad is worth.

The game against Chelsea could have gone either way. How much would their squad cost on the open market?

In case you hadn''t noticed, we have in fact created chances, scored goals, even picked up some points.

It''s going to be hard, it''s going to be a struggle. That''s what I like. I''d rather lose to teams like Arsenal - as long as we pick up enough points to elsewhere to stay up - than beat Barnstoneworth United 83-0 every week.

And I think you''ve already answered your final question.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]I can''t speak for everyone but I''d like to see the most expensive squad of footballers this club has ever assembled create some chances, score some goals, win some games of football and get out of the bottom 3.

I know. I''m an unreasonable bastard aren''t I.[/quote]Then have some patience. And, don''t even look at the league position until after 10 games.Bethnal Green and Yellow made a great point on here the other day. The old adage of "The table never lies" is not true. It''s lying now, especially when we have had a tough run of games to start with when compared to others.Since our last poor game in the league (home loss to Villa), we have win away v Stoke, and put in 2 great performances against 2 of the best teams in the league. Now is not the time to get on the managers back. Have some patience.Should we be in the same position after a few more games, then it might be different.

Exactly Ghost of Theo.

The table doesn''t lie, at the end of the season... We finished 11th, but for the majority of the 2nd half of the season we weren''t that high in the table. Some say we were lucky to get that, but the fact is we did, and we had that 10 game run and that coupled with the last two wins, won us that position.

We have played three good games in a row. I''m almost certain the two performances we put in against Arsenal and Chelsea were as good as the performances that got us a point or three against the same sides in the last couple seasons. Think we were very very unlucky to lose 3-1 and 4-1. Didn''t deserve to lose like that in either game.

If we don''t beat Cardiff, then a bit of the worrying and Hughton-outing that has been happening is slightly warranted. But we will beat Cardiff. Then our next two home games are very winnable.

To Wiz:

Hughton will be here at the end of the season.

(Plus your predictions are very frequently wrong, i''ve got two separate ones bookmarked of yours at different points last season saying we''ll go down...)

[quote user="The New Boy"]

"Win some games of football", right because we don''t do that?

We have played 4 of last seasons top 6 in our first 8 games. How many more wins do you expect? 

Hull was a disappointment, but Stoke away was an excellent unexpected win and made up for that. The Southampton win now looks like a terrific one.

We now go into a run of 5 games which include 3 winnable home games, can you honestly see us coming out of that 5 games without a couple of wins? 

Go and look at the league table, 6 of the 8 teams that we played are in the top half of the table. We have 3 points out of the other 2 games. 

It doesn''t make you an unreasonable bastard to expect us to beat Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham, it makes you an idiot. 

[/quote]

I wasn''t expecting us to beat Chelsea, Spurs or Arsenal you self righteous tool. I was however expecting us to pick up points against Hull and Villa, the fact that we didn''t has put a huge amount of pressure on Saturday.

We''ve won 6 games of Premier League football in 2013. Six. Incidentally, that''s also the number of Premier League goals we''ve scored this season. RVW, Hooper, Elamander and Becchio are without question the most talented pool of forwards we''ve ever had at the club, yet they''ve scored just 1 Premier League goal between them in 8 games. If you think that makes Hughton an "Excellent Manager" then that''s your opinion, it doesn''t make people who disagree with you and idiot though.

Just for the record, I haven''t called for his head. I''m very much hoping that he manages to turn things around. Our performances in the past few games suggest that we may be about to turn the corner, however we''ve still not created many chances in those games. Saturday is a huge, huge game, a good performance and 3 points and we can head into this next run of games (5 winnable home games with a couple of winnable away games) with the season back on track and full of confidence.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]To Wiz: Hughton will be here at the end of the season. (Plus your predictions are very frequently wrong, i''ve got two separate ones bookmarked of yours at different points last season saying we''ll go down...)[/quote]

I see you were careful to omit the two promotions I predicted GP.

Hmm, I wonder why?[:|]

Because loads of people did?

I did...

If you predict a dozen things like that a season you''re bound to get things right.

If I said various youth players at our club are going to make it into the PL, one or two are bound too. The ten wrong predictions don''t just disappear. I''ve seen you mention your correct predictions before, but you always forget your incorrect ones and carry on predicting like you have a 100% record.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Because loads of people did? I did... If you predict a dozen things like that a season you''re bound to get things right. If I said various youth players at our club are going to make it into the PL, one or two are bound too. The ten wrong predictions don''t just disappear. I''ve seen you mention your correct predictions before, but you always forget your incorrect ones and carry on predicting like you have a 100% record.[/quote]

After a 1-7 defeat? and both predictions made in August, I was also damn close on administration which was admitted by McNally some 4 months later!

CH is a dead man walking at City and he''ll be out by Yuletide............the runes see everything.

Chris Hughton deserves support at present like no other time - the rubbish that he has had to put up with, including the appalling racist comments, must make it unbelievably difficult to focus on our football team and getting the players moral and mood right for the important tasks in hand. I for one, after well over half a century of supporting the team, fail to understand the way he is treated and berated. He is our present manager, and he gets my 100% support as will the team he selects for Saturday. There I''ve said it and feel better for it.

Excellent manager?

Far from it. Ferguson, shankley, Mourinho, Guardiola..... Excellent managers.

Not even in the same league.

An average manager at best.

What makes a manager excellent? Tactics is one of them and he certainly doesn''t tick that box.

This thread is one of the worst examples of trolling I have ever seen on this message board. He is very very below average and will be gone long before Xmas or we are well and truly doomed I say

How did a below average manager enable a team built on below average resources to finish so high up the table last season then?

For the record, I don''t agree that he is ''exceptional''; definitely not. But I don''t see the logic that he is apparently so poor and yet he got a team built with relatively limited resources to finish the season higher than several better-resourced teams.

I''m sorry but there is no evidence to suggest Hughton is an excellent manager. His record at Norwich is poor. I really like the guy and enjoy his professional articulate approach to the media, but on the pitch his system and his players are not good enough. He signed some fantastic players in the summer, but crucially neglected the key areas. A creative midfielder and classy ball playing centre half would transform this team I feel.

Although he tried, Hughton failed to complete the transfer jigsaw in the summer. We''re missing key pieces needed to make the whole thing work. I think he''s paying for having too much trust in players such as Russ Martin, Jonny Howson, BJ, Garrido & to some extent Bassong.

If Hughton can grind out some wins and survive until January then he has one last chance. If the missing pieces are not added in the next transfer window I firmly believe this squad will go down.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Excellent manager?

Far from it. Ferguson, shankley, Mourinho, Guardiola..... Excellent managers.

Not even in the same league.

An average manager at best.

What makes a manager excellent? Tactics is one of them and he certainly doesn''t tick that box.[/quote]
Would an "average player" be playing in the Premier League? 
Or would somebody like Chris Martin be an average player? Wouldn''t Ferguson be an "exceptional" manager? Or we could use "world class". Presumably an average manager would end up at an average club, somewhere in the middle of the hierarchy - at Barnsley in the Championship or MK Dons in League One? 
Semantics, or pedantics, not quite sure which. Relativity perhaps. 
Average relative to the Premier League? Sure, well we can enjoy our average manager leading us to another average finish (10th or 11th), at our average club with our average players (relative to the Premier League), being watched by a little below average gates, with our average budget. 
Because we wouldn''t expect anything better than average would we? Like Man Utd or Chelsea? If we are talking in relative terms in the Premier League? 

[quote user="Chip20"]How did a below average manager enable a team built on below average resources to finish so high up the table last season then?

For the record, I don''t agree that he is ''exceptional''; definitely not. But I don''t see the logic that he is apparently so poor and yet he got a team built with relatively limited resources to finish the season higher than several better-resourced teams.[/quote]

What makes me laugh is that people like to think he inherited an awful squad!

Ruddy, Martin,Howson, Pilks and Wes featured on sat and were all here when he arrived.

Johnson and the 2 bennetts also get a game under him so clearly it wasn''t that bad or they would be long gone.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

I''m sorry but there is no evidence to suggest Hughton is an excellent manager. His record at Norwich is poor. I really like the guy and enjoy his professional articulate approach to the media, but on the pitch his system and his players are not good enough. He signed some fantastic players in the summer, but crucially neglected the key areas. A creative midfielder and classy ball playing centre half would transform this team I feel.

Although he tried, Hughton failed to complete the transfer jigsaw in the summer. We''re missing key pieces needed to make the whole thing work. I think he''s paying for having too much trust in players such as Russ Martin, Jonny Howson, BJ, Garrido & to some extent Bassong.

If Hughton can grind out some wins and survive until January then he has one last chance. If the missing pieces are not added in the next transfer window I firmly believe this squad will go down.

[/quote]
His achievements last season surpassed those of Lambert the season before. We finished higher in the league, he got twice as many points against the top 7 clubs, and we reached a League cup quarter final. 

[quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="Chip20"]How did a below average manager enable a team built on below average resources to finish so high up the table last season then?

For the record, I don''t agree that he is ''exceptional''; definitely not. But I don''t see the logic that he is apparently so poor and yet he got a team built with relatively limited resources to finish the season higher than several better-resourced teams.[/quote]

What makes me laugh is that people like to think he inherited an awful squad!

Ruddy, Martin,Howson, Pilks and Wes featured on sat and were all here when he arrived.

Johnson and the 2 bennetts also get a game under him so clearly it wasn''t that bad or they would be long gone.[/quote]
All those players you mentioned are completely average though, and that was his point. Perhaps Ruddy is slightly above average, the rest are average for this league. Mediocre.

An "average" group of players that stood toe to toe with everyone they faced.

They played with belief and intent. They excelled playing a certain way and all the foundations left were completely ignored.

There was no continuity in his appointment. Unlike swansea and WBA. They appointed people to carry on a certain style of football that suited the players.

As a result, they haven''t taken a step backwards.

Just as a counter to that TNB, you could also say he failed to get as many points, scored fewer goals anf failed to get points against teams that Lambert did and had just taken the team through 2 consecutive promotions on a shoestring budget before securing survival several games before the end of the season.

Hughton did well last season, but be honest we were seriously sweating with 2 games to go and we had one hell of a capitulation in the second half of the season as well as probably the most dire FA Cup exit I have ever seen by a top flight club.

I admire your confidence and blind faith, but some of us are not sold on him yet.  To say he is an excellent manager is extreme to say the least and before you reply that I am one of those who has always had an agenda against him, I actually recommended him before his appointment and welcomed him when he joined.

The last 10 months have been abysmal and although I have seen improvements in the last 3 games, I worry about his tactical nous and ability to get the best from the players.  When your front 2 have only scored 3 goals so far this season, that must be a concern and I just don''t see where they are going to get their chances from, let alone goals.

Maybe you can enlighten me as to what makes Chris Hughton so special and why he warrants the accolade of being called Excellent?  I am yet to see anything that makes him stand out as one of the best. I fear my initial judgement of him was wrong.  He is not a bad manager, but I just don''t think he is a good one in the Prem.

Sorry!

Snake[:(]