Sign in to follow this  
im spartacus canary

has hughton lost control of the dressing room ?

with ruddys veiled critisism last week, snodgrass taking penaltys when it is obviously wolfwinkies job, garrido and pilks openly slagging each other off in front of the jarrold, it just seems that team spirit has gone out of the window?  i will get accused of coming out of the woodwork cos we lost but things aren''t right.. snoddy seems to be a law unto himself at the minute and i think we miss holty off the pitch...

Where have you been the last year?

Pretty obvious there is strain in the squad and that Hughton lost the wardrobe in Jan/Feb last season

Yeah I saw Garrido and Pilks have a spat at each other as well.

I really hope it was nothing but to me it looks like were crumbling apart on the field, please not off the field too.

The Pilks Garrido spat looked simply like Pilks wanted to up the pace, get some urgency about the game (about time), and then Garridos lack of a pass to feet. If anything, it simply shows the high level of frustration with the players in the way they''re playing. They want to do well, but appear to have little confidence or morale in what they are doing

You''ve never been guilty of hiding in the woodwork Spartacus.

I''m not sure if he''s lost the dressing room, but Pilks is looking exceedingly frustrated. He lost it with snoddy last week as well.

[quote user="mrs miggins"][quote user="Yellow Shirt"]Did Hughton ever have control of the dressing room?[/quote]

10 game unbeaten run?[/quote]That was during the infamous Players Rebellion.  Once Hughton, Calderwood, McNally and Smith stamped that out, the rest is history.

Well, Hughton''s admission that he wanted RVW to take the penalty is pretty damning.

Either (a) he is a manager who has now managed to communicate to his players who he wants to take this crucial role; or (b) he is a manager whose players don''t listen to him.

Sorry, meant to say:

Either (a) he is a manager who has not managed to communicate to his players who he wants to take this crucial role; or (b) he is a manager whose players don''t listen to him.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="mrs miggins"][quote user="Yellow Shirt"]Did Hughton ever have control of the dressing room?[/quote]

10 game unbeaten run?[/quote]That was during the infamous Players Rebellion.  Once Hughton, Calderwood, McNally and Smith stamped that out, the rest is history.[/quote]

of course

I think you''re right. Watching today looked like very few of the players wanted to play for each other, Garrido didn''t want to pass to Pilkington, Snodgrass would rather fall over, have a moan about anything in particular, take all our set pieces and then put them straight into the keepers hands and the one player that looked like he actually wanted to create a goal got taken off after 60 minute. There seems to be a poisonous atmosphere around the club at the moment and a total lack of team spirit. The problem with that is that ''nice guys'' don''t tend to be able to sort out situations like that as ''nice guys'' aren''t able to dish out the hairdryer treatment effectively, which may well be what is needed (possibly Paolo Di Canio or a Hughton/Di Canio hybrid clone[:P]). I know I like to make light of a lot of situations as it is only football after all and it''s not like my family is starving, but in all seriousness it would be nice to see a little effort from the team. Stoke away next week, surely it can''t be as bad as last season!

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="mrs miggins"][quote user="Yellow Shirt"]Did Hughton ever have control of the dressing room?[/quote]

10 game unbeaten run?[/quote]That was during the infamous Players Rebellion.  Once Hughton, Calderwood, McNally and Smith stamped that out, the rest is history.[/quote]I really wish we could go back and watch the famous 10 match unbeaten run again and be honest about how unimpressive most of the performances really were. Not all, but most.I am not at all convinced that he has ever managed to get the whole squad on his side.

[quote user="Empty Mirror"]Well, Hughton''s admission that he wanted RVW to take the penalty is pretty damning.

Either (a) he is a manager who has now managed to communicate to his players who he wants to take this crucial role; or (b) he is a manager whose players don''t listen to him.[/quote]

I was a touch dubious that he had really said that. And checked. And he had:Snodgrass appeared to pull rank on Ricky van Wolfswinkel over the spot kick with the Dutchman enduring a frustrating afternoon after two first-half near misses in front of the Barclay. Hughton admitted in his post-match interview he expected the club’s record signing to step up once Ciaran Clark was adjudged to have handled Snodgrass’ cut back.“Sometimes what you will have on that occasion is a lad who feels very confident that he is going to put it away. That was very much the case with Robert,” he said. “Listen, when you have a penalty you are expected to score. We were all expecting Ricky to take it. Those conversations are very private [over who the designated penalty taker is] but I expected him to take it and if we get one in the future then I would expect him to take it."

Snodgrass''s attitude right now may have something to do with the fact that his best mates at the club after arriving were Grant Holt and Wes Hoolahan, who also happened to be the glue which held the team together for several years. 
Holt got unhappy and left, and Hoolahan has dissapeared from the face of the earth. 
There is now a new dynamic in the dressing room, perhaps Grant Holt was a great leader who we needed to do everything in our power to keep, and maybe the team is now lacking real leadership - both amongst the players and with the manager.
Perhaps Bassong isn''t universally popular. The players player of the season was Michael Turner, perhaps Turner is the more popular? 
A dressing room split is possible, and it sometimes happens between British and foreign players. I noticed that Van Wolfswinkel, Fer, Redmond, and Olsson are all good friends already - is that one of the ''circles''. 
Russell Martin was made club captain to keep him happy, was he part of the Snodgrass, Hoolahan, Holt circle? With Ruddy perhaps? Were Morison and Tierney in this group?
So many questions to be asked - but we don''t look like a single unit right now, and the buck stops at Hughton, it is his dressing room and his job to control it. Snodgrass taking the ball from Van Wolfswinkel? It doesn''t bode well. 
How the hell do you fix it? 
Long gone it seems are the days when the players would all go to the darts and greyhounds together it seems. That was only last season, wasn''t it? 
If we have gone from a close knit group of friends to two or even three groups of friends, then we have big problems. 

Purple,You would liek to think that there will be consequences to this behind the scenes - surely this is going to provoke some very frank talking at the very least. If this kind of in fighting isn''t nipped in the bud quickly, it will fester and get out of control.

Herman wrote the following post at 21/09/2013 4:50 PM:

You''ve never been guilty of hiding in the woodwork Spartacus.

I''m not sure if he''s lost the dressing room, but Pilks is looking exceedingly frustrated. He lost it with snoddy last week as well.

He''s certainly lost his razor, a very fine thatch!

[quote user="Louis Cyphre"]Purple,You would liek to think that there will be consequences to this behind the scenes - surely this is going to provoke some very frank talking at the very least. If this kind of in fighting isn''t nipped in the bud quickly, it will fester and get out of control.[/quote]

Louis, I try to keep things in perspective, but Snodgrass just deciding to overrule the manager''s apparently clear instructions is a pretty bad sign.