Sign in to follow this  
Chesney Hawkes

Some Days It Just Isn't Your Day

That''s all it comes down to. We had our chances - and we didn''t take them. We could easily have been two goals up after twenty minutes but the ball just wouldn''t fall for our lads. Villa huffed and puffed but never looked like scoring and then nicked a lucky goal when Bassong pulled up with a hamstring injury.

Benteke looked lightweight and ineffective and I don''t see what the fuss is about - much happier we have Elmander to lead the line. The only good player Villa had was Guzan who made a string of fantastic saves to keep us out of it.

On another day, Ricky van Wolfswinkel could have had a hat-trick and we''d be packing Lambert''s losers back to the west midlands with no points and no prizes. That''s just football. It''s a work in progress and we can only get better as the players gel and find their feet.

We need to stay positive and keep with the team and manager and not let a blip like this game, and last week, and the away game at Hull, affect morale or our belief that things are going to improve.

Don''t stop believing.

it will be interesting to see where we''ll finish up. I''d love it if we finished 10th; what would the fans do? you can''t sack him then can you.

[quote user="Peak District Canary"]That''s all it comes down to. We had our chances - and we didn''t take them. We could easily have been two goals up after twenty minutes but the ball just wouldn''t fall for our lads. Villa huffed and puffed but never looked like scoring and then nicked a lucky goal when Bassong pulled up with a hamstring injury.[/quote]

Do me a favour...

Villa had their first shot on target after 55 seconds then hit the post. Or were you still in the bar?

We''ve been spoiled for the last four years, and that''s what this boils down to. Nobody likes losing - I don''t like losing - but we need to see today''s loss as evidence of our progress. Three years ago we would have been ecstatic if I would have said that today we would lose a Premier League match. It''s all about perspective.

Yes it was difficult to take today but we showed a lot of potential and I am excited about the Hooper and Van Wolfswinkel partnership once the players gel and come together.

Too many keyboard warriors on here IMO, people who don''t get behind the team when it matters and then cry about it afterwards.

I don''t understand these ''one shot on target'' stats - their keeper was man of the match!! He saved a pen, Hooper''s shot, the second half deflection, to name but three: how does that give ''one shot on target''?

Fact is, there was more than enough created to have scored several goals today, whether or not our efforts were on target. It was a pretty good match to watch, IMO we were fairly hard done by not to get at least a draw but that''s life sometimes.

[quote user="Peak District Canary"]That''s all it comes down to. We had our chances - and we didn''t take them. We could easily have been two goals up after twenty minutes but the ball just wouldn''t fall for our lads. Villa huffed and puffed but never looked like scoring and then nicked a lucky goal when Bassong pulled up with a hamstring injury.

Benteke looked lightweight and ineffective and I don''t see what the fuss is about - much happier we have Elmander to lead the line. The only good player Villa had was Guzan who made a string of fantastic saves to keep us out of it.

On another day, Ricky van Wolfswinkel could have had a hat-trick and we''d be packing Lambert''s losers back to the west midlands with no points and no prizes. That''s just football. It''s a work in progress and we can only get better as the players gel and find their feet.

We need to stay positive and keep with the team and manager and not let a blip like this game, and last week, and the away game at Hull, affect morale or our belief that things are going to improve.

Don''t stop believing.[/quote]The problem is that ''some days'' seem to be morphing into ''every day''.We created very little, again, and looked bereft of ideas against an Aston Villa side that have kept 1 clean sheet in the last 20 odd games (and that clean sheet was today!).The ball fell nicely to Snodgrass from 12 yards out with only the keeper to beat, so if we throw that one it we should have been 3 up after 20 minutes by your logic.Ricky Van Bullwinkle should have had a hat-trick and if he could hit an open goal from 2 yards out maybe he would have gone on to get one.For something to be a work in progress there has to be some progress by it''s very definition. We seem to be going backwards after spending a lot of money this summer.See the problem is not today, but the fact that today has become the norm. The players seem to have lost the ability not just to win, but to score goals. It is more than a little worrying and the look of utter disbelief on Hughton''s face at the end of the game says it all, he doesn''t know what he''s gonna do. It looks like the players don''t want to play for him, his coaching staff or each other and if that is the case then and he doesn''t know how to sort the issues may be he should consider his postiton at the club. The problem is who would replace him? You would hope that after the second half of last season this is something that McNally and the board have taken into consideration and that they have a list of potential suitors lined up.

[quote user="Peak District Canary"]We''ve been spoiled for the last four years, and that''s what this boils down to. Nobody likes losing - I don''t like losing - but we need to see today''s loss as evidence of our progress. Three years ago we would have been ecstatic if I would have said that today we would lose a Premier League match. It''s all about perspective.

Yes it was difficult to take today but we showed a lot of potential and I am excited about the Hooper and Van Wolfswinkel partnership once the players gel and come together.

Too many keyboard warriors on here IMO, people who don''t get behind the team when it matters and then cry about it afterwards.[/quote]Yes and Manchester United fans have been spoilt for the last 20 years, so if David Moyes found them in the bottom 3 struggling to create a shot on target do you think they would find that acceptable? I''m not saying we should be challenging for the title, but as the weeks go on it appears more and more that there are some serious problems going on behind the scenes of the club that is not common knowledge. And if there is I fully expect that either Hughton will fall on his sword or McNally will wield his axe.

[quote user="Skip"]String of saves.....1 shot on target!!!!![/quote]

to be fair there were two - the penalty and then the hooper chance. Still not enough, but there were two. By the way did you get that stat of the BBC website? I have no idea who does them, but they are often completely inaccurate for some reason - has anyone else noticed this? They often don''t even match up with Match of the Day stats.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]I don''t understand these ''one shot on target'' stats - their keeper was man of the match!! He saved a pen, Hooper''s shot, the second half deflection, to name but three: how does that give ''one shot on target''? Fact is, there was more than enough created to have scored several goals today, whether or not our efforts were on target. It was a pretty good match to watch, IMO we were fairly hard done by not to get at least a draw but that''s life sometimes.[/quote]

Do agree with this.Did the posters coming out with this stat actually watch the game?

Although i am annoyed about todays game,we weren''t as terrible as some games recently.

[quote user="Skip"]String of saves.....1 shot on target!!!!![/quote]the penalty,Guzmans save from HooperGuzmans save to prevent an own goal2 shots deflected by defenders wide= 4 shots on target.Villa had similar luck

Thought we were better today. Thought we were never out of the game, which was all I wanted to see. Obviously frustrated with the result, but on another day we could have won or drawn. Disappointed with Turner for stopping his run after Kozak was clean through the first time. If he hadnt have stopped and watched to see if Kozak scored he would have been in a position to stop him when he got the ball again. Poor defending on that occasion. Think it was much better than the Spurs game, but still frustrating

--- jas the barclay king: the penalty, Guzmans save from Hooper, Guzmans save to prevent an own goal, 2 shots deflected by defenders wide = 4 shots on target. Villa had similar luck

Blocked shots count as blocked shots these days rather than shots on target. The keeper certainly doesn''t have to make a save from a blocked shot. I suppose the stop of the possible own goal doesn''t count as a shot either. Hence you can be one goal up with no shots on target.

So it''s 2 saves, + stopping the OG.

We really should have scored today, but we don''t score many.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Skip"]String of saves.....1 shot on target!!!!![/quote]

the penalty,
Guzmans save from Hooper
Guzmans save to prevent an own goal
2 shots deflected by defenders wide

= 4 shots on target.
Villa had similar luck
[/quote]

Doesn''t he play for Swansea?

Given we don''t score many, it''s perplexing how easily Aston Villa broke us open.  If you consider we''re likely to score one, maybe two at best, then we need to be conceding zero in order to win and yet today we could have shipped three, four or five quite easily against a team that - no disrespect - we should be looking to beat given they were last season''s lower table fodder.Both teams have spent shedloads of money, but only one team looks to be benefitting from that just now.